Other possible Defensive draft choices?

Brad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone was thinking about possible draft picks for the pack asside from Erasmus....I was thinking more in the Secondary or other possible D-line choices? Just curious, let me know

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad said:
I was just wondering what everyone was thinking about possible draft picks for the pack asside from Erasmus....I was thinking more in the Secondary or other possible D-line choices? Just curious, let me know
Here is something we could do, if we weren't going after erasmus (which I still think we should). We could trade one of our running backs and a first round pick to move up and select Antrell Rolle (sp?) from Miami (Fl). He would be a great cornerback. I don't think Carroll is going to turn out to be anytihing special.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I deffinitely agree on the Antrelle Rolle pickup I think he is a safety though but he has got some serious skills. He will probably be gone by the 6th or 7th pick though.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett, That's the kinda of bold move I've been talking about for some time now. I think that's what it's going to take to turn things around. I'm not sure if this player is the right guy or not? He'd be another rookie who is going to have to learn the subtleties of the NFL game. If #4 comes back, we don't have time to wait for another young guy to develop. I would prefer a FA or other player in the NFL who has proved himself worthy of that much compensation. I do like the idea of moving a player and or draft pick to acquire the help GB needs though. :lol:

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone caught the Bowl game last night with Southern Miss. They had a linebacker named Michael Boley that made an incredibly athletic interception and returned it for a TD. He's 6'3" but only 228lb's, not ideal but maybe he can add weight without losing his effectivness. Bottom line was he appeared to be a playmaker, which we are in dire need of.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft Choice

Again, wouldn't any defensive rookie other than DL have an adjustment period to the NFL, schemes, and all the defensive calls/assignments? Does GB have the time to wait on another rookie to develop? Why not let many of our FAs go and spend a draft pick or two to get a real quality player like Julius Peppers, Pat Kearny, DEs at Atlanta or Jets? Let's get a guy of known value. Sure it's going to cost us, but wouldn't the performance be worth it?

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they had the money I am sure we would but they would have to let go of alot of people. Not to mention we are still paying Joe Johnson I think and a punter who has yet to sui up.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that's what I'm saying; it's time to sh*t or get off the pot. We overpaid Clifton last year to do a job our Center handled just fine while he was injuried. Clifton's contract left nothing for the Def. GB has to let Whale, Rivera, Franks and most of the other FA's go. It's the only way they're going to have any money to improve the D, and I think bringing some new blood would be a good thing. Too many of our guys have become complacent in their approach w/ GB's sign our own FA philosophy. Improving our D is no longer an option; it's something that has to be done! I'd hate to lose our Off line, but this is one area and position coach who has shown the ability to take a late rd draft pick or a nobody off another team's scrap pile and mold them into solid performers. I say they need to roll the dice and go find a good SS, a better LB for Navies, and a better pass rushing DE opposite KGB. DT and CB could be other possibilities as well.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more rookies

I hope after the today's game everyone realizes GB can't count on the draft to improve this team. Thomas and Carroll were just abysmal today and any rookie we draft is going to make the same mistakes these guys are making. Again, GB has to scout and sign some excellant FAs (guys who have proven they can and know how to play D in the NFL) for this team to improve.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we dismantle the o-line, we're done, good d or not. that will get favre beat up and kill our running game. carroll and thomas are only rookie, they'll get better. talking about the small southern miss lber, that's the type of guy that you watch and take a flyer on and move him to saftey. if you can play, you can play. see seattles rookie lber turned safety, boulaware.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixgunner, GB still has both Ts and their C coming back. May guess is they decide to sign either Barry or Marco and move Wells, Morely, or Rugemer to LG or pick one up in FA/wavier wire. If they sign Barry for RT, Tauscher goes to RG. I don't think that would dismantle the o-line. Like it or not, Rivera, Whale, Franks, Navies Kampman, Davenport and Nall are all likely to require significant salary upgrades for us to hang on to them. Signing most of them will leave nothing for the Def. Some tough decisions have to be made. GB has all it's talent on the Off side of the ball and no playmakers on the Def side. They have to find a way to balance things out a little more if they want to make it past the 1st rd in the playoffs. :wink:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivera & Wahl are issues which need dealing with... On top of that, Wahl is going to want significant $$$$$$ - which GB does NOT have. Rivera is pretty much gone, as far as I can see. He's still Probowl material, but.... He's past his prime and there just simply isn't enuf denero to go around - that's Sherman's curse - he's lousy in the Draft and also Brandt's no charmer with signing Players to "logical" contracts....

One other thing - if GB expects to keep returning to the Playoffs year end and year out - they'll never have the right spot in the Draft to grab better players.. What they need is another Bull in the house like Reggie White, who'll go & invite the better players to show up & want to play in Green Bay --- right now, they're all heading for the AFC, not the NFC, or they're just heading for the coastal areas where all the bikinis are... and THAT's NOT FOOTBALL!

We're seeing way too many of these players behaving like Rock Stars... something that needs to stop.

Sad to say - but the rebuilding years are right around the corner in Green Bay.
Get ready for it. Money management should be top priority - without it - we'll never have the good players at Lambeau.
If any of these players "want" to stay and finish their careers in GB, then they'll have to do it like Gravedigger did..signing for the league minimum or pert near that...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense here, LNW - but Sharper is a waste of good Draft money.
Sharper needs to go.. I'd use him for trade options on a good Reggie White type.
Our secondary may suck, but so does the opposite side of KGB. That's why they can focus on him so easily... there's no danger on the open side of the QB - if there was, then KGB blind-siding the QB would be a snap...
Sharper has had Antonio Freeman's disease ever since he signed for that big contract - focusing more on partyin than playin.... and that's the Coach's fault for lettin' em get away with that attitude - I'd sit him and then let him go!
Not sure what their approach would be with Wahl... He's gonna want significant $$$$

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay had a true Gm we could be much more creative with our salery cap. We all know the down fall of the Packers over the last 5 years has been consistant drafts. Our scout team must be weak at best to encourage the picks we have encountered. When there is knowone to answer to as in Magic Mikeys case, our drafts come down to one mans decisions, veiwpoints, and wants. A good gm would be worth his weight in gold by exploring second tier players on other teams in the NFL now. With a bit more success in the later rounds of the draft and signing a few quailty second tier players with the desire to show they belong in the NFL, the packer would have more money to keep key players at home.

Tucker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Ernest Shazor??? he seems like a good pick at number 24 he's a good hitter and he always makes plays out on the field and is always around the ball... then we could release sharper

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sunday, January 9, 2005
U-M's Shazor to declare for NFL draft
Standout safety will pass on last season of eligibility and has signed with an agent

ANN ARBOR -- Michigan now will be without two All-American defensive backs in the fall.

Safety Ernest Shazor, one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award given to the nation's top defensive back, and the Wolverines' leading tackler, will forgo his final season of eligibility.

All-American cornerback Marlin Jackson has exhausted his eligibility and also departs the Wolverines, the co-Big Ten champions who were 9-3 and No. 14 in the final 2004 poll.

"I've decided to leave," Shazor said Saturday. "I thought hard about it, and it was just the best decision for me."

Shazor, a 6-foot-4, 229-pounder from Detroit, has signed with an agent but declined to reveal the agent's name. Shazor said he will formally declare for April's NFL draft on Monday. Juniors have until Saturday to do so.

He said NFL insiders have told him he is projected a late first-, early second-round selection. Shazor, who could play strong or free safety at the next level, plans to work out in Phoenix to prepare for next month's NFL combine in Indianapolis.

Shazor said he examined what he did during the 2004 season and realized there was not much more he could achieve at the college level. He led Michigan with 84 tackles, including 10 for loss; had two interceptions and two forced fumbles and was voted All-Big Ten first team.

"If I had played receiver, I could have come back for another year and added to my statistics," Shazor said, referencing teammate Braylon Edwards, who returned for his final season, set U-M career receiving records and won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver.

"But as a safety, 84 tackles, a finalist for the Thorpe, you can't do anything better. The only thing I wish I could have won was the Rose Bowl."

Michigan fell, 38-37, to Texas on Jan. 1 in the Rose Bowl. Shazor said he got a piece of Dusty Mangum's winning 37-yard field goal as time expired.

"I just didn't get enough of it," Shazor said.

Much has been expected of Shazor since he was The News' No. 1 Blue Chip player out of Detroit Martin Luther King after his final high school season in 2000. He redshirted his first year with the Wolverines.

"It's just a dream come true, basically," Shazor said. "I've gone from playing Friday nights, to Saturdays to playing on Sundays. Some people can't say they live their dreams, and I am lucky to do that. I just want to go out and showcase my talents on Sundays."

Shazor said he recently met with Coach Lloyd Carr to discuss his decision to leave.

"We're friends," Shazor said of his relationship with Carr. "I told him what I decided to do, he told me what he thought, and I'm leaving as friends."

It was important, Shazor said, to take advantage of an opportunity to help his family financially.

"We're not in a situation to be wealthy or rich," Shazor said. "We're just middle-class people, and I want to be a blessing for my family."

He leaves Michigan 25 credits shy of his degree in general studies from the College of Literature, Science and Arts.

"For sure I'm going to come back and finish," he said.

With Shazor's departure, Michigan now has two huge vacancies in the secondary, along with Jackson, a two-time All-American who returned in 2004 for his senior season. Sophomore-to-be Jamar Adams could step in for Shazor, and Grant Mason, who will be a senior, could replace Jackson.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
No offense here, LNW - but Sharper is a waste of good Draft money.
Sharper needs to go.. I'd use him for trade options on a good Reggie White type.
Our secondary may suck, but so does the opposite side of KGB. That's why they can focus on him so easily... there's no danger on the open side of the QB - if there was, then KGB blind-siding the QB would be a snap...
Sharper has had Antonio Freeman's disease ever since he signed for that big contract - focusing more on partyin than playin.... and that's the Coach's fault for lettin' em get away with that attitude - I'd sit him and then let him go!
Not sure what their approach would be with Wahl... He's gonna want significant $$$$

I can't see the Packers getting rid of Sharper since he is one of there supposed playmakers after this year though he should take a significant pay cut.

Members online

Latest posts