OT...patriots O line

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do the patriots always have great protection for brady? It seems like every year (sure he gets hit and sacked at times) the O line gives him tons of time when they need to. And the D knows they are going to throw the ball. Do they just get the right players or do they have a special scheme?

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
It's called 18 years of letting New England do whatever the f*ck they please....up to and including cheating, video taping and endless holding by the O-line which almost NEVER gets called (unless you're the opposing team's offensive line)

We may never see this level of coddling and pu$$ying of one franchise and one QB (Brady) ever again.

I would love to see this Patriot franchise just removed from this era and place it back in the 60's and 70's where QBs were under a constant assault every Sunday and DBs and LBs were absolute savages. They would actually have to survive on their own without the NFL coddling them and letting their O-line hold every Sunday to protect Gaydy. One violent and reckless hit from Nitschke on Brady would have ended his career. His thin and fragile frame wouldn't have lasted one season back then of being under constant assault and zero protection.

Look at the disparity in penalties yesterday! The moment the Jags started mauling New England, it stated raining yellow flags....shocking. At one point it was what? 10 penalties for Jax and 1 for NE? Lol! You simply can't make this stuff up. It's BEYOND blatant.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALL QBs are coddled ******* now, compared to the '60s

Ray was 10 pounds heavier than Brady

If you want, I'm sure we can come up with some post-'70s back-7 players that were/are violent

et.al.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots line tends to look good due to Brady's quick release. Much like Manning, Brady is quick to throw. Similarly, when they need extra time, they do a good job of keeping in TEs and backs.

Brady also tends to "need" that extra time at the end of the game, when defenses are tired and struggle to rush effectively.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady got slugged a couple times last game, he got right back up each time. He's not frail.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots line tends to look good due to Brady's quick release. Much like Manning, Brady is quick to throw. Similarly, when they need extra time, they do a good job of keeping in TEs and backs.

Brady also tends to "need" that extra time at the end of the game, when defenses are tired and struggle to rush effectively.
yup...typically 3 seconds or under, lot's of short routes/passes.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup...typically 3 seconds or under, lot's of short routes/passes.

And then we have Rodgers, who manages to both make our line look better and worse at the same time.

Better: He is able to out dance most rushers and make plays happen.

Worse: He wouldn't have to do that in first place if he'd just 1, 2, 3, set, and throw more often.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's called 18 years of letting New England do whatever the f*ck they please....up to and including cheating, video taping and endless holding by the O-line which almost NEVER gets called (unless you're the opposing team's offensive line)
Generally speaking, and not just in football, the more successful you are, the more calls go your way.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Patriots but Eagles have no shot of beating them.
The Eagles are tested. They had a pretty tough schedule. The Jaguars had a cupcake schedule and they almost won. Their lack of offense was exposed. The Eagles have no such shortcomings offensively. They are a better team than the Falcons were last year IMO. I predict Eagles 34 Patriots 24.

Reaction score
It's dangerous to ever bet against the Patriots. I think two things happen that are anomalies. 1st it will be lower scoring than many think. Second it will be an upset
Eagles 26 Patriots 23

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's dangerous to ever bet against the Patriots. I think two things happen that are anomalies. 1st it will be lower scoring than many think. Second it will be an upset
Eagles 26 Patriots 23
Both teams were 13-3 and the Eagles got there by slaughtering another 13-3 team on the road. NE got there by barely beating a 10-6 team on their own turf. There'll be no reason to consider it an upset when the Eagles win.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England is giving up 14.4 ppg since Week 4. They don't have much talent but they dominate in big situations. Eagles defense is not the same outside of Lincoln Financial Field. 40 year old Brady has 2 weeks to rest so he can carve up that defense in the dome. Belichick vs Pederson is such a mismatch it isn't funny. For the first time in the Cheatriots run they win a Super Bowl in a blowout. 34-14. I hope Brady gets killed by that d-line, has 3 turnovers, and in a Patriot loss they get caught cheating again.

D

Deleted member 6794

And then we have Rodgers, who manages to both make our line look better and worse at the same time.

Worse: He wouldn't have to do that in first place if he'd just 1, 2, 3, set, and throw more often.

It took Rodgers only .16 of a second longer than Brady to throw the ball on average this season.

Both teams were 13-3 and the Eagles got there by slaughtering another 13-3 team on the road.

The Eagles played at home in the NFCCG vs. the Vikings.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Guys...defense wins championships! The Patriots defense is AWFUL. They only faced one top 10 QB all season and gave their opposing QB the highest QBRs as a season average. There is no way the Patriots sneak another W in. With the exception of Tennessee and Atlanta during that droit, every game they won against a playoff team was in the last 30 seconds by some wild call or play. Luck has to end. Though it’s hard to route for a team that’s fans are absolute savages, at least for the most part Philly fans are football fans. Patriots fans are Patriots fans and likely can’t name more than two players in Philadelphia (Blount and Nick Foles).

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys...defense wins championships! The Patriots defense is AWFUL. They only faced one top 10 QB all season and gave their opposing QB the highest QBRs as a season average.

The Patriots played four top 10 scoring teams this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Imo, no one consistently holds the ball and moves around more than Rodgers. It’s reflected in his sack numbers. The protection from his OL throughout his career has generally been adequate to very good. McCarthy and Rodgers have evolved to reflect that in the design of the offense.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, no one consistently holds the ball and moves around more than Rodgers. It’s reflected in his sack numbers. The protection from his OL throughout his career has generally been adequate to very good. McCarthy and Rodgers have evolved to reflect that in the design of the offense.

I'm not complaining about his play style one bit.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about his play style one bit.
Me neither, but it has become the Rodgers offense over the last 5 years and I don’t think it can be incorporated by any backup QB. Major changes need to take place by everyone on the offense and the head coach when Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time. It didn’t happen this year. I believe the only way it will ever happen is if a secondary offensive scheme is designed by the staff. Not easy to implement. The mental gymnastics required by the offensive players is daunting.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me neither, but it has become the Rodgers offense over the last 5 years and I don’t think it can be incorporated by any backup QB. Major changes need to take place by everyone on the offense and the head coach when Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time. It didn’t happen this year. I believe the only way it will ever happen is if a secondary offensive scheme is designed by the staff. Not easy to implement. The mental gymnastics required by the offensive players is daunting.

I don't think that's the case. Hundley had plenty of receivers open on relatively quick-hitters. Simple 3 step drops are a thing. So are 5 step drops. You block them more or less the same regardless who's taking the snap.

My suspicion isn't that Hundley and the offense were trying to emulate Rodgers. Rather Hundley didn't trust his reads, panicked, ran around like a fool, and bad things would happen. That's certainly not by design. And he was pretty bad at stepping up into the pocket.

Reaction score
Both teams were 13-3 and the Eagles got there by slaughtering another 13-3 team on the road. NE got there by barely beating a 10-6 team on their own turf. There'll be no reason to consider it an upset when the Eagles win.
Tell Long to lose the Dog face then ;)

TJackattack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots have given up 30 points in exactly one playoff game since 2009. And not since week 4 this season. I don't expect them to now.
Agreed. If the Eagles aren't up by at least 20 at half they have no chance. For some reason lol the Patriots always find a way.

Members online

Latest posts