OT - NFL officiating

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the officials did a good job last night (Seattle/Cardinals) for a change. But pass interference is still so tough.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of this would go away if the league would relax the penalties, allowing DBs to play like they did prior to the 1990s. Then again, we would have a whole new crop of Night Train Lanes running around.

I'm not advocating for it necessarily, but merely pointing out that the drive to increase scoring and player safety has produced rules that are just too complex to adequately legislate on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most of this would go away if the league would relax the penalties, allowing DBs to play like they did prior to the 1990s. Then again, we would have a whole new crop of Night Train Lanes running around.

I'm not advocating for it necessarily, but merely pointing out that the drive to increase scoring and player safety has produced rules that are just too complex to adequately legislate on the field.

I do agree that PI would be a better penalty if there was a higher standard for it. I also think replay for PI is a terrible idea. Call it and move it. They will get it wrong sometimes, but that's also true with replay.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can keep saying "tough breaks; the rule is the rule," but the problem is that they keep making new rules to add to the existing rules. So where does it end?

I agree with you. I posted something lamenting how instant reply has grown in importance, and the protect-the-QB rules have done the same. The NFL really tries to regulate everything to standardize the product, it seems to me, but I take some heart in the easing of the celebration rule. Remember the No Fun League days when more than two dance steps was a 15 yard penalty? Maybe they'll ease up on reviewing everything and penalizing normal tackles, but I am not optimistic.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just about every sport uses instant replay. Blame Jerry Kramer.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately the league agreed with it and got rid of it after only one season.
I agree it is much better that coaches cannot dispute an interference call. But I wonder if it would be good to allow the people in NY? to stop play for a bit if the interference call appears really bad. Only if they could do it within say 30 seconds. Personally, I like that coaches can throw the flag for some plays...like a first down or a catch or a drop or out of bounds. They should probably be able to throw the flag until they get one wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree it is much better that coaches cannot dispute an interference call. But I wonder if it would be good to allow the people in NY? to stop play for a bit if the interference call appears really bad. Only if they could do it within say 30 seconds. Personally, I like that coaches can throw the flag for some plays...like a first down or a catch or a drop or out of bounds. They should probably be able to throw the flag until they get one wrong.

Pass interference replay was a complete mess during the 2019 season. The league should never consider bringing it back.

Two or three challenges are enough, there are already enough stoppages in the game.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass interference replay was a complete mess during the 2019 season. The league should never consider bringing it back.

Two or three challenges are enough, there are already enough stoppages in the game.
I disagree. A flagrant mistake should not be allowed to stand now that we have the technology. Teams lose important games that way. I am only talking of flagrant/obvious and only by the guys that are watching (not the coaches). And why should a coach not be able to throw the flag if he has not made a mistake? He won't throw it any more than now because he loses a timeout and future chances. Changes most times need to work out kinks. But that does not mean to stay stuck in your ways.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a human game officiated by humans. I hope it stays that way. The fact there is a very large amount of fans that have seen the NFL with and without replay would rather it be very limited in its scope is proof enough using technology to replay things does impact the game in negative ways. You could literally replay every single play in the game and likely find something. Bad calls happen, it's ok to accept it an move on. the amount of disagreement even AFTER replay is more than enough evidence that replay doesn't remover that either. Creates more rules, more "clarification" and more confusion in the end. Ironic.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, I could be happy listening to the game on the radio. Could you do that?

D

Deleted member 6794

A flagrant mistake should not be allowed to stand now that we have the technology. Teams lose important games that way. I am only talking of flagrant/obvious and only by the guys that are watching (not the coaches). And why should a coach not be able to throw the flag if he has not made a mistake? He won't throw it any more than now because he loses a timeout and future chances. Changes most times need to work out kinks. But that does not mean to stay stuck in your ways.

I'm absolutely fine with officials making a bad call from time to time even if it ends up deciding a game one way or another. As mentioned early the league should concentrate on improving the on-field officials by fully employing them but instant replay definitely hasn't made the game any better.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with officials making a bad call from time to time even if it ends up deciding a game one way or another. As mentioned early the league should concentrate on improving the on-field officials by fully employing them but instant replay definitely hasn't made the game any better.
I agree with 1/3 of it. As to one of the other thirds; then you probably should not show instant replays to the fans watching the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with 1/3 of it. As to one of the other thirds; then you probably should not show instant replays to the fans watching the game.

I'm fine with fans criticizing officials but there's no need for instant replay to correct their mistakes.

Members online

Latest posts