Opening Day QB's and Starters

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's early, but here are my official guesses about the backup QB's and starters on opening day. What do YOU think?

#2 QB--Aaron Rodgers--Even though he struggled on Thursday, he still looked confident. A good sign.

#3 QB--Craig Nall--Has become even less essential now that B.J. Sander appears to have claimed the job of holder for Ryan Longwell. But Nall still needs to be on the roster because of his experience with the offense. J.T. O'Sullivan looked like a deer in the headlights on Thursday.

Guards--Adrian Klemm and Grey Ruegamer--This is the toughest one to guess. Klemm is our most mobile guard--the poor man's Mike Wahle. Ruegamer knows the offense and proved himself as a starter at center last year. Matt O'Dwyer may be past his prime, and Herrion and Whitticker need more experience.

Defensive Tackles--Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt--Nobody likes them anymore, but they'll be back. Jackson is too good to cut, and Hunt can't be cut because of the cap hit. Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins, and maybe Colin Cole will get about as much playing time as the starters anyway. (Lee and Peterson have never impressed me.)

Safeties--Nick Collins and Mark Roman--Collins for athleticism and upside, Roman for experience. Plus, these guys seem to be the best hitters. Arturo Freeman has failed to impress in the preseason. I'd like to see more of Marviel Underwood. He may start eventually, but two rookie safeties on opening day? I don't think so.

#2 Cornerback--God Help Us! Seriously, I expect Joey Thomas to come back and beat out Ahmad Carroll, who will play the nickel. Michael Hawkins is intriguing, but I doubt that the coaches want to start a rookie at this position two years in a row. Could play in the dime.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad assesment of the personel by the Gregg C up there in UP at Marquette. Some or most could very well happen but I make that judgement later on in Training camp. I haven't seen enough in training camp (I am there for a lot of sessions)and pre season action to annoint anybody for some starting positions with the Packers as yet. except for evident starters( Favre, Green Etc) from the '04 team. Packer new GM Ted Thompson has said: Nobody will be given a position on this Packer team, they will have to earn it, At this early date in training camp, I think it is way to early to judge if some have done this yet!! I don't think Packer coaching staff has made those decisions as yet.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true, PWT36. I admit that I'm just guessing. But I do think that we'll see at least some tentative decisions by the coaches after the next preseason game. I expect that they'll want to get their starting units solidified by the time the last preseason game rolls around. I don't know about my Klemm/Ruegamer starting combo at guard. They've both been playing left guard, so maybe that won't happen. But I think Ruegamer could play right guard and switch to the left side if Klemm got injured.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I'm willing to say Nall gets traded.

Not me. I'll still take Nall over Rodgers "the rookie". I just don't see him having complete control of the playbook and handling the pressure IF Brett goes down. I think opposing defences will "hide" coverages enough to confuse him. Nall has regular season experience, bottom line.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: I suspect it will be Favre; Nall: and Rodgers for this year. Rodgers is here to learn in year 1 of his NFL career. Nall played well last year. Trading Nall to the Bears is insane. Screw the Bears. Rex Grossman is out again. The Bears just keep getting China Dolls for QBs.

Offensive Guard: Too early to tell. The assessment of Ruegamer at RG and Klemm at LG seems the most likely. Kevin Barry might even rotate in a guard spot for his run blocking ability.

DL: Hunt and Jackson are still the 2 best interior defensive lineman the Packers have. Others will contribute.

DBs: I am so happy to hear that Nick Collins is impressing coaches. I thought he could have been a wasted draft pick. Hawkins will play this year whether it is in the nickle or dime package. Carroll and Thomas can only get better. I hope our DBs can not get worst than 2004.

Punter: Apparently BJ Sanders has learned to kick in the NFL.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not think Nall would be traded, he might see more action either against the Bills or the Patriots. They know what to expect From Nall . They want to play Rodgers to see what he can do. I don't think Nall has great trade value, but would be picked up by some team if he would be released by the Packers. The Packers would like to see some consistancy by Nall in practice. He has not been a very good practice player last year and has continued this in Training camp. He did well in his limited regular league action against the Bears, Titans etc. The Packer don't know if he would be the answer in long term NFL action . Since practices and training camp session show he has problem making quick decision and making some passes, he should make. They decided to make Aaron Rodgers their first round draft choice this year. Lately Packer management say they are very happy with Aaron Rodgers and have said he has picked up the Packer offense very quickly and progressed to a point, and if he continues, he might be considered as a backup to Brett Favre this year. I have been watching him in Training camp sessions and I think he is a very poised young QB, I have not seen a young rookie QB that has look that poised in his first two plus weeks in summer training camp. in the 60 years I have followed the Packers. Does that make me think he is "slam dunk" to be a potential ly great QB in the NFL. No!! But it makes him an exciting QB prospect . However, I would not write off Nall, as yet, but it would be nice if he would look better in practice. Competition is good if t will push both QBs to excell and that will be nothing but positive for the Packers.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: Favre, Nall, and Rodgers (he becomes the #2 in week 8.)

OG: Klemm and O'Dwyer. Ruegamer and Whitticker as backups.

DT: Hunt and Jackson. Bates seems to be very high on Hunt.

S: Nick Collins and Mark Roman. Freeman and Underwood as backups.

CB: Harris, Thomas, Carroll, and Hawkins.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Nall having much trade value, and if he is traded or cut the Packers will essentially have zero years of experience backing up Brett Favre. That would be a drastic change of philosophy for a team that kept an aging, mediocre Doug Pederson on the roster for years solely because he was familiar with the offense.

DeusNova: Where did you hear that Bates is "very high on Hunt"? I've heard nothing of the sort, although he has acknowledged that Hunt has a lot of talent.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ldlehrer said:
QB: I suspect it will be Favre; Nall: and Rodgers for this year. Rodgers is here to learn in year 1 of his NFL career. Nall played well last year. Trading Nall to the Bears is insane. Screw the Bears. Rex Grossman is out again. The Bears just keep getting China Dolls for QBs.

Offensive Guard: Too early to tell. The assessment of Ruegamer at RG and Klemm at LG seems the most likely. Kevin Barry might even rotate in a guard spot for his run blocking ability.

DL: Hunt and Jackson are still the 2 best interior defensive lineman the Packers have. Others will contribute.

DBs: I am so happy to hear that Nick Collins is impressing coaches. I thought he could have been a wasted draft pick. Hawkins will play this year whether it is in the nickle or dime package. Carroll and Thomas can only get better. I hope our DBs can not get worst than 2004.

Punter: Apparently BJ Sanders has learned to kick in the NFL.

Bears QBS are paper dolls.

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Nall. The very reasons cited for keeping him on the team are the very reasons that make him the #2 QB. Rodgers may have ability and more upside, but he is only 21, and a ROOKIE. Let him learn the techniques of the clipboard, and maybe relaying plays. If this season really goes to s**t, this could change.

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Sullivan's going to be the odd man out. He was worth a look but just isn't as good as Nall and there's not as much invested in him as Rodgers. Nall will have more trade value if he can add to the good showing he had last season. Remember, it took a couple good preseasons before we got something real for Hassellbeck.

O'Dwyer has about a week to prove he's worth anything. AND now Scott Wells is in the mix at guard. He's getting time this week at guard and I think if he can hold up against the Bills 1st unit O'Dwyer is a goner. With Whitticker, Klemm and Ruegamer playing well there's no need to carry an oft-injured vet, IMO.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that only 9 Offensive linemen will be kept.

LT Clifton, Bedell
LG Klemm, Ruegamer, Wells
C Flanagan, Ruegamer, Wells
RG Whitticker, Ruegamer
RT Tauscher, Barry

Herrion and maybe Coston will be on practice squad.

DL is not changed much from last year they keep 10.

DE KGB, Jenkins, Peterson
DT Hunt, Cole, Lee
DT Jackson, Williams, Montgomery
DE Kampmann, Jenkins, Peterson

Washington the 3rd rounder is cut and placed on the practice squad (cap hit).

DB's the packers keep only 8

CB Harris, Thomas, Carroll, Hawkins
S Collins, Roman, Underwood, Franz(suprise!)

Horton is on the practice squad.

Franz makes squad for Special Teams play and Little gets cut. I might not fully agree but Special teams makes the difference.

Suprises are in store and we should not be shocked. The competition is close and not complete. Small marginal things can make the difference.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins will start oposite of Al Harris sometime this year MARK MY WORDS, Witticker and Collins also will start theis year, Collins will be there from the begining MARK MY WORDS TOO !!!!! :twisted:

Hawkins will have an interception against the Viqueens on nov 21st, Collins will have a monster game too, Walker, Driver and Fergy will kick Sharper

Members online

Latest posts