one of my friends is in trouble because the pats lost!

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
apparently one of my friends just called me about 10 mins ago and left me a voice mailtelling me that one of our boys lost his life savings account on the game basically. He has always been responsible with money and worked real hard and almost never went out to eat, because he was saving for a house for him and his wife. but he lost 40 thousand dollars on tonights game!!! he doesn't even really pay attention to football, but he got caught up in the hype so he felt it would be easy money, but he lost EVERYTHING. I feel bad that I cheered for the giants now and I also feel responsible because I told him that the patriots would for sure win :cry:

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's his problem... no offense he shouldnt have gambled in the first place ... and he should of bet for the giants the odds were against them

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your friend, Josh. That's terrible! I can see that happening, because a lot of us didn't think the Giants would get past the Pats.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A friend of mine (who happens to be a bookie) said there was in the range of $7 BILLION riding on this game in one way or another.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won 3 six packs of beer, 3 bets. I took the points and the Giants, not necessarily to win.
I have no sympathy for your friend whatsoever.
Big time wagering is pretty stupid. Every sports bar has some guy who makes sure that everyone knows what his bet is on every game, and how well he does at betting pro football. Generally, they drive 1973 Gremlins.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should have learned the rule: Never bet more than you can afford to lose. Same goes in the stock market (which is basically a bet).

Sorry to hear about your friend.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is called "gambling" for exactly that reason. If they called it "sure thing" instead, I think I would have bet the farm too.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the line on the game?

Sure the Pats were supposed to win, but with any points, I would have bet the farm on the Giants, not the Pats.

IronBMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that my friends is why gambling is stupid.

I believe the line was 12 points btw, but I could be wrong.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry Josh that your friend lost his money, but you should never gamble more then you can afford. When we go gambling we set a limit and when that money is gone we quit. You can get into big trouble by gambling, people do gamble away their paychecks and savings which is really dumb.

And you shouldnt feel guilty, hes the one that gambled, if he didnt have it to gamble with he now feels the consequences of his actions.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely stupid to scrape every penny you can into savings for a house and then blow it on a bet on a sports game. I don't see how anyone with any common sense would do that. Way too risky. He would have been much better off putting it in a CD or investing in a mutual fund. Lower gains, much more of a sure thing than the Super Bowl.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminds me of the movie The Boiler Room where the mark puts his downpayment for a new house into one of the BS stocks those crooks are selling............Very sad story Josh

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only bet on the over/under of beers I will have at the bar. Given my poor showing of 5, I would say the under definitely won. Then again I had a bottle of wine for lunch.

Sad story, I make small bets to make games interesting, but I am glad it is not one of my vices.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's bad, but gamblers have to realize that they can't gamble more than they can afford to lose.

People need to be responsible with their money. I put money aside for "no questions asked," meaning I can spend it on anything. 401k/IRA and food/rent (or mortgage), and bills always have to come first.

Don't blame yourself. This was stupid on his part. Now, hopefully he's young enough to recover and learn from this and doesn't jump off a bridge or something. The older you get, the more stupid things you've done in your life. That's just how it goes. We've all done stupid things.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people may consider betting as an easy "get rich quick" scheme. Betting is for losers, much like the lottery. It's only fun to bet when you can afford the loss. He couldn't so he is a HUGE loser. Expensive education.