one of my friends is in trouble because the pats lost!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
" a Fool and his money are soon parted"

Never gamble more than you can afford. Was he never taught thee tidbits of wisdom?

Sorry Josh, don't mean to sound harsh to a fellow Pack fan but...

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, I feel bad for the guy, but seriously, unless you're a millionare+, betting 40 grand on a game in a sport you barely follow is plain RETARDED,

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably know more about the gaming industry than 99% of everyone in the state of Wisconsin let alone this board. Been to Vegas, well, I dunno, lost count, maybe 20 times, and also have been to Atlantic City, Biloxi, Tunica, New Orleans, and a whole bunch of other places in between.

The smartest gamblers I ever met were some college kids who wanted to "try" Vegas. They'd sit at a nickel slot machine and drop in a coin when the cocktail waitress came by and order a free drink.

Sports betting is actually a lucrative business, but there are maybe only a couple thousand people (if that) in the entire country who actually know what they're doing and make a steady income from it.

However, to make it in sports betting, it requires an effort equal to just about any other day job and therefore it's like having a job.

I can't say anything to make things better for the friend but it's like drinking and driving and killing someone. You keep saying "don't do that" but people do it anyway.

I'v made three "serious" sports bets in my life. Won two, lost one. All three were $5 bets. Ain't no such thing as easy money. Look at it this way; what if the friend had won? How much would he have lost in the long run before he realized he didn't know what he was doing?

OK... I guess that's enough preaching from me.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably know more about the gaming industry than 99% of everyone in the state of Wisconsin let alone this board. Been to Vegas, well, I dunno, lost count, maybe 20 times, and also have been to Atlantic City, Biloxi, Tunica, New Orleans, and a whole bunch of other places in between.

The smartest gamblers I ever met were some college kids who wanted to "try" Vegas. They'd sit at a nickel slot machine and drop in a coin when the cocktail waitress came by and order a free drink.

Sports betting is actually a lucrative business, but there are maybe only a couple thousand people (if that) in the entire country who actually know what they're doing and make a steady income from it.

However, to make it in sports betting, it requires an effort equal to just about any other day job and therefore it's like having a job.

I can't say anything to make things better for the friend but it's like drinking and driving and killing someone. You keep saying "don't do that" but people do it anyway.

I'v made three "serious" sports bets in my life. Won two, lost one. All three were $5 bets. Ain't no such thing as easy money. Look at it this way; what if the friend had won? How much would he have lost in the long run before he realized he didn't know what he was doing?

OK... I guess that's enough preaching from me.

Heh. That's what my wife and I did in Vegas. We went to the nickel slots, got free drinks, and tipped the cocktail waitresses $2 a drink and of course said our pleases and thank yous and treated them very kindly. Needless to say, we got them coming back often.

I put in about $10 and lost it all. Wife put in $20 and came back with $38, then bought 2 pairs of shoes at the mall in Henderson.

All in all, it was a great time.

Sports betting, I put money aside "no questions asked." It's money I can lose. Food, mortgage, bills, the allowance I give my wife, and my 401k come first. Always.

Gambling doesn't have to be a fool's sport. It can actually be quite fun. But you have to always partition your money. If you don't, gambling can be very dangerous. Losing $40,000 is nothing compared to getting your legs broken and your teeth knocked out or going to jail, which is what ends up happens to some gamblers.

This is probably a good lesson to your friend. I doubt he'd do something this dumb again.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't gamble what you can't afford to lose.
Thats what i was taught from a young age.
If you can't afford to lose, you don't play.
Do i feel sorry for him? Yes. But it was his own fault for taking such a HUGE chance.

NYEnglishGiant

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel for your friend but the consensus here is totally right. to blow that kind of money was plain stupid. The bookies in Vegas lost a lot of money on the SB btw, a LOT of small bets on the giants who were the popular favourite and the so called 'serious money', the pro gamblers didn't make as many big bets on the Pats as expected. The line opened at 14pts and was 12pts by the time the game kicked off. Ask any Giants fan and we'd have told you that was way too high, we lost by 3 in wk 17 and we'd been playing better and better since that point and the Pats had hardly been lighting it up in the postseason. I hate gambling but i almost wish i'd put $50 on the giants to win... would have paid for me to get something nice for my wife as a thank you for putting up with me through a roller-coaster Giants season!

Anyway, don't feel guilty dude, you didn't make the bet. if he wanted to take that kind of stupid risk he should have done more reasearch than asking a friend.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, that's my mindset. "don't bet money you can't afford to lose". since i can't afford to lose any, i don't bet any.

Members online

Latest posts