OLB coach Kevin Greene

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard or read anything but if the Packers fire Dom Capers would it be a surprise to see Kevin Greene come out of retirement as a defensive coach in Green Bay?Look back to the Jan,17 2014 article on JSO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't heard or read anything but if the Packers fire Dom Capers would it be a surprise to see Kevin Greene come out of retirement as a defensive coach in Green Bay?Look back to the Jan,17 2014 article in the JSO.

I don't think the main reason for him retiring was to spend more time with his family. For whatever reason he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore and I don't see him coming back at any point.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
All of that is implying Pack get one and done in the playoffs again?

Gotta have some hope man.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football coaches leaving to "spend more time with their families" is the dating equivalent to "it's not you, it's me."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Kevin Green, Jim Bates, Ray Rhodes, Fritz Shurmur (RIP), and Phil Bengston (RIP) to form an all-star defensive coaching staff :roflmao:

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the main reason for him retiring was to spend more time with his family. For whatever reason he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore and I don't see him coming back at any point.[/QUOTE
I don't think the main reason for him retiring was to spend more time with his family. For whatever reason he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore and I don't see him coming back at any point.
I just found it odd that he would leave so abruptly,wonder what the real reason was?

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of that is implying Pack get one and done in the playoffs again?

Gotta have some hope man.
What it may imply is perhaps he wanted to get out before his name got attached to Dom Capers and that would tarnish his chances of coaching anywhere,he said he would like to coach again some day if anyone would have him...hmmm.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It legit was his reason. There was another factor but it wasn't a slight to the team in any way.

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also is it just coincidence that Clay Mathews had some mighty good seasons when Greene was there and hasn't looked that good so far this year after Greene left.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shurmer was a genius. Bengston was under rated. I read somewhere a while back that the 46 defense made famous by Buddy Ryan and the'85 Bears was really a Bengston creation.

H

HardRightEdge

Greene's coaching experience is limited. He's years away from a DC job if he does return to the game.

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greene's coaching experience is limited. He's years away from a DC job if he does return to the game.
Oh yeah I agree, what 5 years with GB but may just be biding his time,he said he did like GB and he seemed to be an asset to the OLB's now Winston Moss coaches all the LB's and does a good job with what he has.

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shurmer was a genius. Bengston was under rated. I read somewhere a while back that the 46 defense made famous by Buddy Ryan and the'85 Bears was really a Bengston creation.
I liked Phil Bengston he was a hard nosed coach,reminded me of Chuck Noll but at the time he had people running things like Judge Robert Parins who had no real qualifications to be President of a pro football team,a Judge? that's like saying if I have a fishing license I'm qualified to captain an ocean liner.lol

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Assistant coaches have horrible hours, spending very long days preparing, analyzing, and coaching. It's no mystery to me why someone who is (or should be) extremely financially independent would decide not to continue to do it.
... Winston Moss coaches all the LB's and does a good job with what he has.
I don't know if that's true or not. Moss was promoted to assistant HC (apparently to make another team poaching him less likely) his second year in Green Bay, but I really don’t know what his contribution to the defense has been. If you judge him strictly by the play of the ILBs – which he coached while Greene was in Green Bay – it doesn’t look good for him.

BTW, for those hoping for a new DC next off season, one very likely candidate IMO would be Moss. Or someone else currently on the staff. I think the defense needs an infusion of new blood so I would be less than excited if someone like Moss replaced Capers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It legit was his reason. There was another factor but it wasn't a slight to the team in any way.

How do you know??? You would have to be at least a close friend of him to be sure about it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assistant coaches have horrible hours, spending very long days preparing, analyzing, and coaching. It's no mystery to me why someone who is (or should be) extremely financially independent would decide not to continue to do it. I don't know if that's true or not. Moss was promoted to assistant HC (apparently to make another team poaching him less likely) his second year in Green Bay, but I really don’t know what his contribution to the defense has been. If you judge him strictly by the play of the ILBs – which he coached while Greene was in Green Bay – it doesn’t look good for him.

BTW, for those hoping for a new DC next off season, one very likely candidate IMO would be Moss. Or someone else currently on the staff. I think the defense needs an infusion of new blood so I would be less than excited if someone like Moss replaced Capers.

This . If there going to be changes, then be bold about it. Time to get away from same ol' same 'ol.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Phil Bengston he was a hard nosed coach,reminded me of Chuck Noll but at the time he had people running things like Judge Robert Parins who had no real qualifications to be President of a pro football team,a Judge? that's like saying if I have a fishing license I'm qualified to captain an ocean liner.lol

Depending on your definition of "hard nosed" is, Bengtson wasn't regarded that way. He was a very smart defensive coach, to whom Lombardi gave almost complete autonomy, but it was Vince who was the driving force on those teams. Bengtson has only in later years gotten his share of the credit for the great defenses in Green Bay during the 1960's but he, like the players and other assistants, was elevated by Lombardi.

Jerry Kramer and other players of the time have said they liked and respected Bengtson but there was really no fear when he took over as head coach and he never really could inspire his players. He was a "nice guy." And the guys took advantage of that.

Robert Parins didn't become Packers president and ceo until years later; in the late '70's or early '80's. Dominic Olejniczak was the club president during the Lombardi, Bengtson, Devine and early Starr years. While there was a tradition of executive committee members intruding on the operation of the football team prior to Lombardi; he had put an end to that and there's no account that suggests that habit resumed after Lombardi left. Bengtson had control over the draft, trades and player cuts. He may have had bad timing taking over an aging dynasty but he was responsible for what happened to the team and no one else. He bore no resemblance to Chuck Noll. He was rather like Eric Mangini being compared to his former boss Bill Belichick.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding Bengtson; just imagine the unenviable position the man was put in, succeeding (who I consider) the best HC in NFL history. The Packers had just won 5 championships in the preceding 7 years. On top of that, IMO he had three things working against him: First, he was a victim of the Peter Principle: All great DCs are not great HCs. Second he inherited an old roster at the end of one of the most epic runs in sports history. Third, unlike Lombardi, he was not a master psychologist (like 99.9% of the rest of us) so he was unable to wring one more season out of the mostly older great players left on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think longtime would vouch that I know what I'm talking about

I'm not questioning that you have access to some inside sources, what I meant though is that Greene is the only person knowing the reasons for him leaving the Packers.

I guess we'll figure it out next offseason depending on if he returns to coaching or not.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not questioning that you have access to some inside sources, what I meant though is that Greene is the only person knowing the reasons for him leaving the Packers.

I guess we'll figure it out next offseason depending on if he returns to coaching or not.
He was interviewing at other jobs before he left the packers but didn't get them. He seems pretty focused on the kids, and I would be surprised if he was back next season with a team but I think if the steelers called he would be there in a heartbeat.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Bengtson; just imagine the unenviable position the man was put in, succeeding (who I consider) the best HC in NFL history. The Packers had just won 5 championships in the preceding 7 years. On top of that, IMO he had three things working against him: First, he was a victim of the Peter Principle: All great DCs are not great HCs. Second he inherited an old roster at the end of one of the most epic runs in sports history. Third, unlike Lombardi, he was not a master psychologist (like 99.9% of the rest of us) so he was unable to wring one more season out of the mostly older great players left on the roster.

Well, Bengtson actually had a rather enviable situation at the start. He took over a team that had just won three straight championships and 5 of 7. They were aging but there was considerable younger talent in the pipeline. He had been, explicitly or implicitly, promised the Packers head job if and when Lombardi retired; so he passed on any other opportunities for a head coaching job in the NFL while he was assistant.

He could have been like George Seifert following Bill Walsh with the 49ers but just didn't have what it took to be a successful head coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts