OLB coach Kevin Greene

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly McCarthy shares responsibility, but he's not going anywhere for some time to come, nor should he, given the check marks in his plus column.

My point is that when evaluating Capers I don't think he can be exempted entirely from flawed personnel decisions. Since we're not in the room(s) we can't attempt to apportion the blame, but Capers responsibility is certainly greater than 0%.

McCarthy said following the draft, “We’re going to be a better defense this year. You can write that in big letters. We’ll be a better defense this year.” While Dix/Hyde have improved markedly the dreadful safety coverage of recent seasons (when Burnett isn't on the sidelines), I don't think we can say this is a big-letter-improved defense. It wasn't that high of a bar to begin with.

Usually failing on a big letter promise has consequences. McCarthy can't fire himself. There's still half a season to right the ship, but Capers should be on the bubble.
Somethings got to give after this season, I just can't see that defense suddenly turning into something they are not and this has been the" white elephant"for too long,we hear PR b.s. year after year that says the defense will improve, MM needs to watch out what he says,each year he is sounding more like a salesman rather than a HC.

H

HardRightEdge

Somethings got to give after this season, I just can't see that defense suddenly turning into something they are not and this has been the" white elephant"for too long,we hear PR b.s. year after year that says the defense will improve, MM needs to watch out what he says,each year he is sounding more like a salesman rather than a HC.
The last time McCarthy b*tched about bad tackling the pursuit and gang tackling picked up. If you're going to emphasize speed and athleticism you must have that. Burnett, arguably the best tackler this season, misses a game and the tackling regresses (not to mention blown deep coverages). The motors need to get revving and stay revving.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe Capers has a big say in the defensive personnel but either way the defense needs better players and a DC that knows how to utilize those players.The first two years under Capers was misleading,he still had talent from Holmgren-Wolf tenure but has eroded since,like I said before 5 defensive Pro Bowl players in 2010 to 0 in 2013 is not a defense on the up swing but then again like I said Capers vow that the defense will improve is meaningless simply because they got no where to go but up.

I don't think we can say there was any holdover in 2009 from the Holmgren-Wolf days. That was far gone by that time.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, McCarthy isn't going anywhere and I don't want him to.
Of course my post wasn't suggesting McCarthy was going anywhere. But if the discussion is responsibility for the play of the defense, McCarthy has to take more responsibility (along with Capers, coaches, players and Thompson) than he has in the past because he was more hands on this season.

D

Dan115

The buck has to stop with McCarthy. I trust he has already told Capers he is on the carpet-- Dom's job to keep or lose.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The buck has to stop with McCarthy. I trust he has already told Capers he is on the carpet-- Dom's job to keep or lose.

I wouldn't bet on it. MM has shown no signs of holding Capers responsible for the poor defense. The only situation in which I see Capers being let go is if the defense is absolutely abysmal in the second half of the season. In other words, unless he is forced to acknowledge that the defense is flat-out bad and he can't put all the blame on the players, I think Capers won't be going anywhere.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Of course my post wasn't suggesting McCarthy was going anywhere. But if the discussion is responsibility for the play of the defense, McCarthy has to take more responsibility (along with Capers, coaches, players and Thompson) than he has in the past because he was more hands on this season.
I never thought you were suggesting McCarthy go anywhere, I was just indirectly referring to his recent extension. But yes, the three of them need to be held to account. MM, DC and TT. It's those three that shape this team.

D

Dan115

I wouldn't bet on it. MM has shown no signs of holding Capers responsible for the poor defense. The only situation in which I see Capers being let go is if the defense is absolutely abysmal in the second half of the season. In other words, unless he is forced to acknowledge that the defense is flat-out bad and he can't put all the blame on the players, I think Capers won't be going anywhere.
you don't want to bet on it? up to you

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
If indeed MM and TT are unhappy with defensive play the last several years, and they think that DC has had more than ample time to figure out how to work with his "role players" I strongly doubt that opinion would be made available to the general public through the media.

The Packers as an organization are pretty tight lipped when it comes to such things. We aren't the friggin' New York Jests media circus, thank god. lol

Of course I could be dead wrong and it's simply business as usual with this frustrating situation.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting Clay Matthew inside to stop the run was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Fire Capers now.
I can do a much better job at defensive cord. with my one interception of playing flag football many years ago.
Please hire me now GB.

I just hope that what Dom Capers did will shut down all the discussions of firing him.
I realize it would be too much to ask for the rest of the season but hopefully for at least this week.
I will take what I can get.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I trust in Ted Thompson"and blame the players?Who do you think drafted these players?what you said here makes no sense,some one in that organization has obviously screwed up the last 4 years,was it TT,MM or DC or all 3?trust all you want that Defense is not likely to just flip a switch and become something they are not,sure they look o.k. against the Bears,Vikings etc but when they face teams like the Patriots,don't be surprised to watch that D get lit up like the 4th of July.
Yes, TT did get the players but he is not the one on the field. Sometimes the players just simply get outplayed or the game goes for the other team. You cannot have perfection 100% of the time every game. It happens. Hey, even the Cleveland Clowns get wins.
TT does his best and I don't know about you but I think he has built up a very good team and knows talent when he sees it.
Football experts are in awe of how much Aaron was being passed over by all those other teams in the draft and now look at him.
You are right that they have yet to prove themselves against more contending teams, but at least we are not rooting for Jokeland Raiders or the Jags. Enjoy the wins when you can.
And you just never know.
If you are really a Packers fan then you should hope that they will prove you wrong when we play the Pats.

For one thing, nobody will ever be able to prove or disprove the contention that those guys know more than we do. They went into that line of work and get paid to do it, but I think there are plenty of others who could have done the same.
We are all just armchair quarter backs and coaches.
If any of us had the same kind of passion along with the knowledge the players and coaches have, we would have those jobs instead of just sitting here arguing and discussing football.
There is a vast difference between what they know and what we know.

Second, I don't understand the trust in TT coupled with blaming the players. TT's prefessional job is to stock the team with good players, and MM's is to get the most out of them. If MM is given lousy players, it's TT's fault.
See above response to that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin Greene is working with the Eagles outside linebackers this week: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ene-working-with-Eagles-pass-rushers.html?c=r

Looks like the decision to step away from coaching "in order to spend more time with (his) wife, Tara, and (his) children, Gavin and Gabrielle" is changing. I've always thought that there were some disagreements he had with the Packers that prompted him to leave. It looks like it would make him happy to see the outside pass rush take down the Packers this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kevin Greene is working with the Eagles outside linebackers this week: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ene-working-with-Eagles-pass-rushers.html?c=r

Looks like the decision to step away from coaching "in order to spend more time with (his) wife, Tara, and (his) children, Gavin and Gabrielle" is changing. I've always thought that there were some disagreements he had with the Packers that prompted him to leave. It looks like it would make him happy to see the outside pass rush take down the Packers this week.

That article is from August 4.

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting Clay Matthew inside to stop the run was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Fire Capers now.
I can do a much better job at defensive cord. with my one interception of playing flag football many years ago.
Please hire me now GB.

I just hope that what Dom Capers did will shut down all the discussions of firing him.
I realize it would be too much to ask for the rest of the season but hopefully for at least this week.
I will take what I can get.
Yep I will get on board with that,Capers is the guy and nothing will change in that regard until after the season and the evaluation process,I do hope the Pack can bring their A game and make a statement.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a big hunch, it was odd that he left GB so abruptly after the season,more to that then what we were told.
Not everyone is cut out to be a coach. Some of the best players make poor coaches. His inability to mesh his players into the defensive framework may have been his undoing. That and not being able to develop another player to play opposite Clay.

OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He must miss the game it happens to many former players,but I still believe there was some conflict there in GB between Greene and the DC

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not everyone is cut out to be a coach. Some of the best players make poor coaches. His inability to mesh his players into the defensive framework may have been his undoing. That and not being able to develop another player to play opposite Clay.
Bart Starr was horrible but he had 0 talent and no one to help him get any.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr was horrible but he had 0 talent and no one to help him get any.
Bart was the worst GM we ever had. I did not care for his coaching much either.

edit: forgot about Devine and the trade for Hadl. Bart was 2nd worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart was the worst GM we ever had. I did not care for his coaching much either.

edit: forgot about Devine and the trade for Hadl. Bart was 2nd worse.
I don't think the main reason for him retiring was to spend more time with his family. For whatever reason he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore and I don't see him coming back at any point.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think he saw eye to eye with Capers and the rest of the D staff
What are you basing that on? The article says he spent a few days with the Eagles in August and that he has a relationship with their DC from his playing days. Spending a few days or a week is obviously a much different commitment than being on the staff of a NFL team. I don't know why Greene left the Packers. It could have been Greene didn't agree with Capers or it could have been he was asked to leave. Or it could have been Greene didn't want to commit to the long hours required. I don't know what it was, but if someone has a hunch they know, what is that hunch based upon?

Members online

Latest posts