Cheesehead
Reaction score
So honestly what's the deal?

Bahktiari, Taylor, Linsley ..very good

RG = basically try to plug someone in again? Lol

Bulaga is always hurt and he should retire soon

Am I guessing Spriggs is a cut?

Reaction score
They may cut Spriggs but they’d be kinda dumb not to slide him inside first after all the resources they spent on him. Not to mention all the energy spent trying to fit his square self into a round hole.

We have the option of going all out and getting the best T as a sure thing or hitting the position twice, once day 2 and once early day 3. Such as Dalton Risner or Michael Jordan then Max Scharping or Nate Davis. I’d almost consider doubling down to give the rooks a year or two to develop and doubling the chances of landing at least one bonafied future starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers would be fine as long as their starting offensive of Balhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner and Bulaga stayed healthy in 2019. With that being unrealistic to expect the team needs to add some quality depth in the draft this year, hopefully adding a prospect capable of replacing Bulaga at right tackle in 2020.

All those guys were picked in the 4th round or later...

While the Packers have had success selecting offensive linemen on day three of the draft Clifton was a second rounder.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So honestly what's the deal?

Bahktiari, Taylor, Linsley ..very good

RG = basically try to plug someone in again? Lol

Bulaga is always hurt and he should retire soon

Am I guessing Spriggs is a cut?
RG= Billy Turner

You are going to like this guy. He is a beast. Billy also will be in the mix to replace Bulaga in 2020 at RT.

H

HardRightEdge

RG= Billy Turner

You are going to like this guy. He is a beast. Billy also will be in the mix to replace Bulaga in 2020 at RT.
Yeah, I'm guessing the OP slept through free agency.

Nonetheless, Taylor is merely serviceable and reliable depth is awfully thin at all of the line positions with Bulaga in particular always an uncertainly.

Siragusa, part of what I call Gutekunst's "Draft 2.0" where he brought in a series of former draftees last season, remains a possibility. Gutekunst thought enough of him to put him on the active roster as required when picking him off of a PS though he did not take a snap. His very serious knee injury is 2 years past, so there is a possibility of under the radar OG depth from him.

Scouting reports suggested he would not be a fit for outside zone, though his 3-cone and shuttle were actually better than Billy Turner's, so his profile might have been a function of college scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/nico-siragusa?id=2557874

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/billy-turner?id=2543740

Did he lose any mobility with that injury? That remains to be seen.

Spriggs, after 3 seasons, has not shown the ability to hold up against better edge rushers, anybody with outside-inside moves. I maintain he should be tried at OG in camp with his evident gain in weight last season being a qualifier for the position. There is nothing to suggest he'd be anything more than an emergency player at OT and not quite serviceable at that. Spriggs did look pretty decent run blocking and he has the athleticism for the outside zone scheme, futher qualifications for OG.

An OT in day 1 or day 2 of the draft is d*mn near mandatory, and if that guy is supposed to be Bulaga's successor then day 1 is the obvious place to try first to get him even if Parris Campbell is still on the board. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would honestly prefer to have Turner at LG and move Taylor to RG.

They might rather have Turner at RG in case he has to swing to RT though. Then the footwork isn't backwards.

Reaction score
Spriggs did look pretty decent run blocking and he has the athleticism for the outside zone scheme, futher qualifications for OG.
I agree. I’ve been saying that same thing for awhile now. I recalled his run blocking was part of his positives on his film in college and, as you showed with that video recently, has continued into his professional career. He obviously has some skills as a OT that translate to G. We see that transition recommended a bunch, in particular where Guards in college can’t handle the rigors of Tackle at this level.

I think he’s certainly strong enough for the position and as long as he floats in that 320 range he’s fine. I was concerned about his height but researched that some time ago and the “average” was right at 6’5 at Guard (taller than I would’ve guessed)

He’s strong as an ox and quick twitch enough and just wonder if a year dedicated to the G position wouldn’t produce positive results. We really have nothing to lose and everything to gain here. Wouldn’t it be perfect if he started excelling at the Guard position and we were able to get a return on investment finally.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those saying Spriggs should be tried at guard. It would minimize his weaknesses in pass pro. Read somewhere last week that he's been working out and hitting the weights like a demon this off season, and is determined to turn things around this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted to move Spriggs to guard for some time now...I think the organization has failed to do so as a sign of admittance of failure. HOWEVER, I still believe Spriggs could end up NOT being a waste...move him over, see what happens. He has the run blocking skills, is strong as an ox but quicker than most his size (pulling ability) and know he has a strong drive to excel (he is a local boy to me...went to Concord High School which I drive by daily). The problem is the time is fleeting on him as we need to figure out if any hope of future (even if that is as a serviceable back up)...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted to move Spriggs to guard for some time now...I think the organization has failed to do so as a sign of admittance of failure. HOWEVER, I still believe Spriggs could end up NOT being a waste...move him over, see what happens. He has the run blocking skills, is strong as an ox but quicker than most his size (pulling ability) and know he has a strong drive to excel (he is a local boy to me...went to Concord High School which I drive by daily). The problem is the time is fleeting on him as we need to figure out if any hope of future (even if that is as a serviceable back up)...
Why do people think people fighting to win and fighting for their jobs will sabotage themselves simply because they don't want to be wrong? and how does that work? Ted told MM he absolutely needs to play Spriggs at Tackle or he's fired? Ted Picked him, MM was the coach. Or did Campen chose to put him there knowing he'd be a better guard, but wanted to make him a tackle and hurt his job performance in the meantime? or was it the offensive coordinator that said, Spriggs would be a better guard, but we need to play him at tackle at the expense of the entire offense?

Or maybe his physical stature and LACK of strength he came into the league with meant his leverage and length was better suited for tackle? And maybe after that, with the bodies we had and the injuries, he was simply the best person to use at tackle? I'd rather have Spriggs at back up than try and put McCray out at RT. The cupboards for quality offensive lineman is pretty bare across the league and we're not the only team that has to make due with what we have every year. I don't think anybody tried to make Spriggs a tackle because they didn't want to admit a mistake.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, but I’m betting,without looking they were the best players we picked in those drafts.

WITH looking:

Bak - Obviously the best, but Lacy(?), Tretter(?)
Lang - Raji, Matthews
Tauscher - Franks(?), Clifton, KGB(?)
Etc - Pretty tough to pin down