OK who do you want to win ???

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just on the merits of these four teams ----- I would say...

Carolina will stop Mike Holmgren at home... Why...(?)
I just don't think Holmgren has ever rid himself of that altered attitude he showed us in SB32 - in the second half, he almost entirely quit using the RB, which was slicin' 'em up in the first half.... and no one has ever answered the question as to why.. he got real conservative and tried to 'prevent' the Packers from losing....

Pittsburgh shuts down the Broncos at home - Jake is better than last year, but also gettin' old. He's probably missed his time, because he hung with Arizona a couple of years too long..... a point many pundits agree on. It's a shame, sure... but there it is.

Panthers versus Steelers in the Superbowl.... Steelers win!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
January 22, 2006
AFC Championship Game

They're not pretty, but QBs get job done
Denver's Plummer, Pittsburgh's Roethlisberger both confident, efficient

Associated Press

DENVER -- Peyton Manning and Tom Brady they most certainly are not.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Just a couple of "dirtbags" is how Jake Plummer described himself and Ben Roethlisberger, the pair of quarterbacks in charge of guiding their offenses through today's AFC title game.

Instead of glitz and glamour, football fans get facial hair and efficiency -- Plummer versus Roethlisberger -- when the Broncos and Steelers meet with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

Last weekend, Plummer took care of New England's Brady while Roethlisberger knocked the Colts' Manning out of the playoffs.

"They got a chance to see that one earlier in the season, and maybe they'll get to see it next year," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said, referring to the marquee matchup that didn't pan out for this week.

Instead, it's a pair of quarterbacks who failed in the playoffs last season but came back this year and embraced the notion -- some say the somewhat unrealistic notion -- that they are mere cogs in their respective offenses, not the players who must make them tick.

"That's the big question that people are trying to figure out. I am, too," Plummer said Friday when asked what's so different this year from last. "I'm just playing football. Five years ago, I prepared the same way."
The results, however, have been different.

Maybe it's because, as coach Mike Shanahan says, it takes three years in a system for a quarterback to acclimate.

Or maybe, as Plummer suggests, it's because he got a new sense of security when Shanahan and owner Pat Bowlen showed their support by electing to pay the $6 million roster bonus Plummer was owed last offseason.

Off the field, Plummer refused to change his public persona. His scruffy, Grizzly Adams beard is something of an obsession in Denver, where John Elway set the standard for how quarterbacks should act, play, be.

What Plummer wants to look at and talk about is the next game, and that strategy has worked. Plummer threw only seven interceptions this season -- compared to 20 last season -- and the number dwindles to five if you throw out opening day, a 34-10 loss to Miami that has since been proven to be an aberration.

Last year, even though the Steelers went 15-1, Roethlisberger tightened up under the pressure of trying to make the Super Bowl as a rookie. He threw five interceptions in two playoff games. He never looked comfortable under center, never looked like a favorite or a guy who'd been there before -- precisely because he hadn't.

Turns out, living up to Terry Bradshaw's standard in Pittsburgh can be as sapping as living up to Elway is in Denver.

So, Roethlisberger changed.

One minor point: He grew a beard, although he insists it was only to stay warm during the Pennsylvania winters. His Abe Lincolnesque look didn't create as much of a stir in Pittsburgh as Plummer's did in Denver.

The quarterback's improved play certainly did, though.

"I'm just trying to take it one step at a time and be better prepared for everything that is thrown my way and just making sure mentally that I'm sharp," Roethlisberger said.

This season, with the help of an offensive plan that has the Steelers running the ball 57 percent of the time, the Pittsburgh quarterback is, quite simply, better. The genius of having such a run-heavy offense paid off last week against Indianapolis when, in a move the Colts certainly didn't expect, Roethlisberger threw on 12 of the first 19 plays.

By the time the Colts knew what hit them, they were trailing 14-0.
Though he threw it fewer times than almost anyone else this season, Roethlisberger averaged 8.9 yards per pass attempt, best in the NFL.

BARGAIN PRICES

Of the 24 quarterbacks selected in the first round of the NFL draft since 1996, only one led his team to a playoff victory this season (Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger).

Here are the four QBs who will play today and how they entered the NFL:

Name --------------------- Team ------ Round ---- (overall) --- Year
Ben Roethlisberger --- Steelers ----- 1st ------- (11th) ----- 2004
Jake Plummer ---------- Broncos ----- 2nd ------ (42nd) ---- 1997
Matt Hasselbeck ------- Seahawks -- 6th ------ (187th) --- 1998
Jake Delhomme -------- Panthers --- not drafted

Good article - good points, --- should be a great game today!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Steelers to pull the upset in Mile High today. Something about destiny, I guess. I have no real clear-cut reason as to why, just something about Jerome Bettis getting that SB ring before retirement in his hometown of Detroit. I know that's silly, but it's what my gut says. How can one explain the strange happening at the end of the Colt game? I mean, the guy fumbles after the game is basically over, his QB makes a game-saving tackle, one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL chokes on a game-tying FG, etc. The Steelers have been playing as good as anyone the last couple of months so I see them winning the SB.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the steelers and seahawks get it done today, i think the bus wants the s.b. so he can retire,holgren wants it to after all he does have some guys who are getting up there in age i wouldnt mind seeing the seahawks win but i think it will be the steelers

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers and Panthers. Has the makings of a classic matchup. Broncos - Seahawks sounds like 2 AFC teams (yes, i know the 'hawks moved), Broncos - Panthers wouldn't be too bad, but I'd rather see the Steelers, Steelers - Seahawks...well, I'm just not so sure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Panthers, always liked the Panthers and Steve Smith rocks! Never much cared for the Seahawks since Galloway left.

Steelers, Bettis is great! he's a good guy and deserves to go out on top. Can't say I've ever liked the Broncos and they did break the streak of NFC SB wins by beating the ... Packers :(

Panthers vs Steelers, I like the Steelers to win.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me add a comment here -- (I'm watching ESPN, with the regular crew, as we speak)

They just showed a clip of the Seahawks and Hasselbeck.. w/ interviews of both Holmgren and the QB trainer (guess who) Zorn... Zorn is the only other QB for Seattle who ever threw for over 3,000 in consecutive years (3)... and he's Hasselbeck's trainer - week in & week out.

It was a good video clip ---
(wish I could get a photo of that one shot showing Holmgren & Favre on the sidelines - WOW)

It shows the progression of what a QB has to do - and Matt does it all...
1) How to keep from 'bouncing' as the QB goes thru the play (unlike Manning)
2) How to place your feet for multiple options of turning away from the kill by the Defense

I can only imagine what the NFL would be like - if all teams had such training at QB.

Holmgren's forte truly is rearing quarterbacks - just ask Joe Montana.

We all know Favre would be a has-been, if not for Mike Holmgren - remember 1993?

I would hope the new Offensive Coaching Assistants for the Packers were watching that same video clip... Rodgers could learn a thing or two - about NFL STYLE FOOTBALL... that's fer sure. If he doesn't, he'll be out in two years....

Anyone else see that video clip on ESPN?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Pittsburgh and Carolina to win. Coming into the playoffs I had no favorite teams, just a 4 team shitlist. Indianapolis, Chicago, Denver, Seattle. 2 down, 2 to go. Pittsburgh/Carolina Superbowl.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is in... woohoo!

But - this Seattle Team is really got a lot o' heart....
Carolina's been caught off guard - and may.. pay the price!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle and Pittsburgh............i think its going to be a tough game. A close score. I know Packinsteel wants the steelers............either way i win, i have rookie football cards of Hasseldork AND Rothlishamburglar!

Side note: On the pregame interview with Holmgren, did you hear him say BRETT instead of MATT???? LOLOL!!! :lol:

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta go with Pitt. After seeing them win against the #1,2,3 teams in the AFC playoffs I just can't see the Seahawks standing in their way. Big Ben and the Bus will tear up the Seattle D.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Side note: On the pregame interview with Holmgren, did you hear him say BRETT instead of MATT???? LOLOL!!! :lol:

Oh you betcha -- he called it a Freudian slip....

Or.. was that wishful thinking...?

Hard to figure out who to root for this time around - and you all know it's been sometime since fans have had that chore - usually, it's pretty cut & dried.

1) Root for the Steelers - Bettis going home to retire; Cower being the longest running HC in the NFL - and finally attaining that which he should have won many years ago - especially by regular NFL standards - not the Steelers. Seeing a 2nd year (rookie?) QB not only take his team to "two" AFC Championship games in a row, without (pretty much) flinching... and, who else (QB wise) do you know went to a Superbowl in their second year?

2) Root for the Seahawks - One Team that has always deserved to get off the "never went to a Superbowl" bandwagon (now there's only six other teams left on that list); seeing our former Head Coach work his well-known magic with a pretty damn good team-first time ever in a Superbowl, because of him and some fine coaches, as well (Jim Zorn); is this a dream-team going to a Superbowl? Having never won it (Seattle, that is) why shouldn't they win this one? And, Hasselbeck, finally coming out of his shell, pretty much like Brett Favre at Holmgren's urging - to "own" that field during the NFC Championship game; does Seattle have all the tools?

Ironic - that there's so much about each of these two teams - one may just wish to sit and watch the game for the pure flavor of it all....

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if you ask me, Seattle can now proudly say they've been to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately they won't be able to say they won one.

Cowher and the Steelers get one for the Bus (and the Thumb) and Seattle is happy too... :D (ok, maybe not that happy but still...)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Pittsburgh has too many weapons, and are hitting on all cylindars right now. They knocked off the Colts, which i must admit, SHOCKED me. I don't think Seattle has what it takes to stop them.
This is the first Super Bowl i have been interested in since 32.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I think Pittsburgh has too many weapons, and are hitting on all cylindars right now. They knocked off the Colts, which i must admit, SHOCKED me. I don't think Seattle has what it takes to stop them.

Uh Cheesey - they dindn't have Super Bowls in 1932 :wink:

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is tough,I like some of the players and coaches on Seattle.But I think that the Steelers just have more. Plus they are from my home state. I would like to see the bus win this game and then retire and then go to the HOF. :cross: :kickcan:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Would that be 1932? Or back when you "were" 32....? :shock: :lol:

Like before - I'll say there's no picking the instant winner of THIS SuperBowl.
Best to keep yer $$$ in the bank, unless we hear someone's not actually going to be playing, when originally we thought they would be...

Hasselbeck was getting some questions on ESPN yesterday - and he let a few things (intentions?) slip out.... Let's just say that The Chin & Co. had better be doing their proverbial homework with a religious zealotry right now. They're gonna need it. Somehow, I figure the Seahawks to have a few surprises in store - and even though Big Ben put down Peyton Manning, pretty easily - this time around, in this game - my thinking is Matt Hasselbeck really wants to make his mark in the QB world, right up against Joe Montana, Steve Young & Brett Favre. It'll be a knock-down drag-out football game!

Who do you think will come out fighting the hardest?

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biased though I may be - I think the Steelers are gonna come out and be prepared to simply overwhelm the Seahawks. Big Ben didn't put down Manning - the Steelers D did. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a great game. But as Cheesey said they are just firing on ALL cylinders right now and there is no reason to believe they won't continue. Seattle is a fine team and I'm glad for Holmgren that they got this far but their championship dreams are going to have to wait a bit longer.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn between the two. Can't stand Holmgren, but love Hassleback. Should cheer for the Seahawks since they are in the conference, but am still debating what to do.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cohwer vs. Holmgren

The Chin vs. Many Chins

The Jaw vs. The Jowls

Turnovers win this game. I think Pittsburg has the edge when it comes down to taking care of the ball.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is a toss up steelers have the d-line working for them whis we had a polamalu sorry i'm sure i miss spelled it but i like him,he is everywhere i like the seahawks they have some good players and i think holegren did a great job in getting them to the super bowl i also like the bus i will go with the steelers for that reason the bus and polamalu and of course big ben but i think as a whole seahawks dont have that right now,and that is what will give the steelers their edge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts