1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by dogpackerz, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    I don't thin that we need lynch, or Johnson, or some big flashy name.

But why couldnt we get woodhead, or snelling, or ryan torrain, just some GUY, SOMEBODY ANYBODY, someone with something too prove. Not someone who has already proved he doesn't have it..

2. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I'd still take a shot on Willie Parker. Just saying.

Again, he might not be an upgrade, but it's no risk.

3. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Here's a pretty interesting thought as to why Ted might not have wanted to pull the trigger on Lunch:

Honestly, that makes total sense. Lynch isn't familiar with our system or our O-Line, and the risk of him not being productive for us this season is just too high.

Moss to Vikes, Lynch to Seattle and what some Packers fans think - JSOnline

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    It sounds like you want the Packers to make a move for the sake of making a move, regardless of whether the player will fit our system or not.

There's no guarantee a player will just be able to jump right in, especially if they aren't familiar with OUR system. It could take several games before the player is up to speed, and that's just time we don't have.

5. Burk1994

Burk1994 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to have DeAngelo Williams, it would be a long term investment. Next year we would have Grant and Williams, which would expand boths career time by having them split the load for one another. I dont think we can offer Hawk or Brad Jones because Nick Barnett could be IR, but James Jones, TJ Lang and a 3rd would probably do it. Im crossing my fingers but I am not getting my hopes to high

6. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +488
    D Williams or J Fargas Please!!!

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    so Nance is not the guy you want?

you are aware he is on the team just needs to get up to speed on the plays?

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I think most packer fans just want TT to make any move. Its the opposite of Redskins fans.

9. G0PackG0

G0PackG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    I traded for Marion Barber in Madden11 lol. 3rd round and our 4th string rookie TE . Try that teddie

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
  11. OneHotelFoxtrot

OneHotelFoxtrot Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    I want Deangelo Williams, living in Carolina I've seen alot of this guy, he can be great given the opportunity.

12. BMatt

BMatt Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I want DeAngelo Williams too.. but im not willing to give up James Jones, AJ Hawk, and a pick. That's a little steep for my liking.

2 players who log alot of minutes for us, plus a pick? Eeek

13. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,393
    Right now the Packers can't afford to give up any linebackers. Barnett is out for the season. As I've said before, I don't see Thompson making any moves for a player with a name. I think he's banking on Nance providing Jahvid Best type work. (I can't say I agree with him, but my opinion is that he is thinking this way.)

14. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yup. Sure served them well in recent years, hasn't it?

15. Stevelknievel

Stevelknievel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Darren Sproles

Anyone consider this guy? He's basically a bench-warmer for the Chargers. And a kickoff/punt returner. Fast. Good hands.

Still got $5.5 mill left on his one-year contract, tendered player, would cost the Pack a first-and-third rounder.

Worth it?

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    LOL Ted give up a 1st and a 3rd?

come on now :)

17. chucknorris101

chucknorris101 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    would solve RB and return issues immediately.

i still like deangelo better if we're breaking the bank

18. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,393
    I think you understand Ted's philosophy. It is similar to the same way the Patriots work. In the other thread, the one on Moss, I posted an article that points out in the next draft the Patriots have a bunch of top three round draft picks. That trade of Moss for a third is typical of the Patriots. They deal and stack up higher round draft picks, then build their team from there. Once in a while they'll pick up a free agent like Moss or Fred Taylor. In our case we picked up C. Woodson. There are some very striking similarities in the basic modus operandi.

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Yup this I know...

20. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    That's not a bad way to do it, it's worked for them in the past. They had a freakin machine up there. It's got to be hard to make these decisions and know that you are gonna piss somebody off no matter what you do. I feel bad for Ted in that respect, it can't be an easy job to do. He's got to do what's best for the team, not only in the present moment but its future as well. Things don't always work out the way you envision them, so they come for you with pitch forks and torches. But when they do work out, they will sing your praises to the football Gods. I think deep down I understand what he is doing and why. That's why I have a funny feeling there will be no new RB. Thinking long term, I don't think he's gonna want to give up more than I think he thinks acquiring the is worth. These are just my thoughts here, obviously I'm not in T.T.s head so I'll never know. I think I'll have some more coffee, consult my muse or that psychic I've been meaning to get a hold of and think more on this.

21. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    And the Patriots have been one of the post dominant franchises of the past decade... I have a weird feeling that we all may look back at this in 2 years and go, wow, I'm glad TT handled that the way he did. Looking back now at the Moss thing and the T. Gonzo thing we're all glad he did things the way he did, but at the time screamed "WTF are you doing?!?!, GAAHHHH!!!"

I didn't hear the interview with Woodson, but if he was questioning TT for the way he handled his business, then he should keep his mouth shut. I love C. Wood, as a player... But he's paid to play, Thompson is paid to handle the business end... They both need to know their roles.

Bring on Nance and Starks!!

22. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,393
    I wouldn't worry about what Woodson said. Reports sometimes get skewed to drum up paper selling drama. Woodson and others on the team have basically been saying; "sure anytime you have a chance to get another quality player, you'd like to have them. Who wouldn't? But we can win with what we have." It's almost like they all put their heads together and decided on what party line they should say.

23. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    Darren Sproles wouldn't solve the running back issues. If San Diego thought he could be a feature back they wouldn't have traded up to get Ryan Mathews.

That said, I'd love to have Sproles. That quick-as-hell playmaker is one of the more glaring things that we don't have, imo.

24. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    I like Drivers reaction to outside news...

When asked about the Moss to Vikings thing, Driver said, "Yeah, I don't really care..."

Lol, I liked it.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I don't know if anybody listened to Jim Rome yesterday, but they had Charles Woodson on. Very candid interview. When asked if it would be nice to make a move like the Vikings did he said something along the lines of "I know the politically correct answer is win with the guys you have, but yes it would be nice to make a move along the lines of what Minnesota did".

That's not an exact quote, just an approximation to give you an idea of what he said. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.