Official Raiders studs and duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I noticed this too. He was invisible. Worst game of his career?
Could be since he literally doesn't show up in the stats and I am pretty sure he was out there the whole game. I'm sure a coach or someone with film could point out that "Clay did this or that to create this or that". I just didn't see much of anything.

Don't get me wrong, I like Janis on returns, but the one good return he had.....his speed, not his decision making took him through a very large hole created by blocking. Otherwise, he looked less then stellar on the other returns. Taking the ball out of the endzone too many times when he shouldn't, running right into a crowd well short of the 20. He may have missile like speed, but a rocket scientist he is not.

Sky King

Reaction score
Studs: Despite the occasional gashings here and there, the defense has really been pretty good at making the stops when they really have to almost every game.

The O line on passing downs.

Janis on STs, especially as a gunner. He's going to block a punt one of these games, too. He's gotten awfully close on occasion.

Duds: Whoever calls for the defensive alignment that leaves that enormous gap that attracts runners to go right up the middle, mostly untouched. The opponents have gone to that hole like a moth to a flame. Who wouldn't?

Short yardage plays. Enough said.

Adams...AGAIN. This guy couldn't catch a cold. He's the most un-clutch receiver on this team and he's earned his place at the far end of the bench. Were it not for injuries and his #2 draft status he probably would have been entrenched there a long time ago.

Duhs. Rodgers. Not exactly a dud but somewhat off his game all season. One would expect the reigning MVP to make those around him better the way Brady does year after year. Rodgers has not. His accuracy over the years has set him apart. Not this year, though. He's just not playing up to his own lofty standards. Somewhat of a mystery to me how he's been off just enough on several plays each game, ones that he used to make routinely but are now a bit of a struggle for him to complete. And wearing his frustration on his sleeve so frequently is, dare I say, so Cutler-like. Not flattering at all. "Come back, little Sheba! Come back!"

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its clear that we maybe in the market for another WR in the off season. I'd love to see us draft Corey Coleman out of Baylor. Speed speed and more speed there!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - The defense early and then late
James Jones with the exception of some big offensive PI
Not a ton more. Masthay seems to be punting better

Duds - Our wrs ability to catch the ball. Janis with a big drop. Adams with more drops. Richard Rodgers had a terrible drop on the play or two before starks fumble
Ball security on offense. Rodgers INT was the worst throw I have seen him make. Starks fumble was a huge turning point

The offense still leaves a lot to be desired but it seemed like something started to click a little of the offense starting on the drive before the half. Sure starks fumbled on that drive but they went 60 plus yards on that drive. The next drive resulted in a fg and could have been more if Janis catches that pass. The next drive was a td with actual explosive plays. The next drive was really frustrating because they couldnt score from the one but still put together a nice drive. The next drive also is frustrating because they had the td called back but still got a fg. Then they had the stupid interception and missed fg.

If you look at those drives when was the last time we didnt punt for more than two quarters. Two turnovers in the other teams territory took points off the board. Three red zone trips that resulted in just 3 fgs and a td drive. Let's take the sustained drives as a huge positive and now hope we can finish those drives off.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I wonder how many times Randall fell down yesterday. I seem to remember at LEAST 4 times. He needed to change his cleats or something. You supposed to jump UP and try to deflect the ball. not fall down and let the guy catch it. But I can't imagine Cooper of the Raiders not getting better and better next year, and Carr is certainly not afraid to heave it way downfield to him. They might start being a real rival to the Broncos.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
We also need to teach James Jones when it is OK to start blocking. How many offensive PI penalties has he gotten in two games?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its clear that we maybe in the market for another WR in the off season. I'd love to see us draft Corey Coleman out of Baylor. Speed speed and more speed there!
I like Coleman, but not sure we need another slot receiver, which I believe at 5' 10" he will be. Would prefer a taller bigger guy to compliment Jordy and Cobb in 2016. I like Josh Doctson out of TCU for a 3-4th round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We also need to teach James Jones when it is OK to start blocking. How many offensive PI penalties has he gotten in two games?
He wasn't blocking during the two I saw, he was pushing off before Rodgers threw him the ball. Those kinds of offensive PI calls can be ticky tack and not called, but yesterday the refs were watching Jones for it for sure.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What was wrong with it?

Im not actually saying there were issues..

Im saying that with mm calling it was hard to judge because of the down pours last two weeks...vs cards there is no excuse..if we fail as we have been thrn something is really wrong

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ryan had a few rookie mistakes, but for whatever reason, he seemed like he was playing middle linebacker while the other 3 guys (Matthews, Neal and Peppers) were tight up on the LOS on the right or left. 7 Solo tackles by Ryan isn't a bad day, especially considering Clay had 0, Neal 3 and Peppers 3.

I like what Ryan has showed, but not sure he is ready to cover the middle of the field alone yet.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Ryan???

He allowed a long run and a penalty
I will say our run defense has been lacking since Jake Ryan has got into the game, but he is not the sol contributer to that. He shows great field awareness and natural instincts. I think this bodes well for the future of the defense. The offense is what scares me.

Reaction score
Semi-Duds:
Starks n Davante. Many receivers and players on both sides dropped passes or slipped which tells me the field conditions were a significant factor.. However great players rise to the occasion in adverse conditions.

Studs: Cobb and Peppers changed the momentum and rose above the excuses.

Honorable mention: JJ

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the last two games, if I am a defensive coordinator preparing to play the Packers, I'm giving them a steady dose of runs up the middle until they prove they can stop them. I think both Dallas and Oakland abandoned the running game far too soon, which turned out to be our advantage.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rollins
JJ
Peppers

Duds:
Janis
Clay
Adams
Rodgers (Both Richard and Aaron)

It was an ugly win, but a win none-the-less. They picked on Randall quite a bit, and even though he got burned a couple time I think it is something he can learn from. Even the PI is kind of a veteran move. If you think you are toast and the safety might not get there hold. Stop them from getting to the endzone. Something I saw Woodson do plenty of times in GB. So I still have a lot of hope for him.

Other than that it was same old script from the past 5 weels. Very poor passing game (under 200 net). In the last 5 weeks against all but 1 subpar team the Packers have averaged 205 yards passing. That was in some tough weather games, but they really need to get something working here soon. I don't think that is going to cut it in the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Studs: The return of the back shoulder pass and catch. Jones doesn't have to "wide open" and it still works.

The second half change in play calling/alignment that saw Cobb lined up in the backfield with Kuhn with Adams, Abbrederis, and Jones at WR to counter how the Raiders were stopping the run - and the offense as a whole - in the first half.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan???

He allowed a long run and a penalty

I was paying attention to him, and he had sort of a mixed day. The one thing he does pretty well for a rookie is tackle. We have a lot of guys who simply are not very good at that.

I'd say to this point he has been a step up from Palmer, and it will be a good battle between him and Barrington for the starting position next year. Maybe Clay goes back outside.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was paying attention to him, and he had sort of a mixed day. The one thing he does pretty well for a rookie is tackle. We have a lot of guys who simply are not very good at that.

I'd say to this point he has been a step up from Palmer, and it will be a good battle between him and Barrington for the starting position next year. Maybe Clay goes back outside.

This is the kind of thing that bothers me, because I believe that's exactly how TT/the Packers will look at it.
Why not look outside the roster for a better player. They'll probably just leave the position alone again and hope for improvement from among those three.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is the kind of thing that bothers me, because I believe that's exactly how TT/the Packers will look at it.
Why not look outside the roster for a better player. They'll probably just leave the position alone again and hope for improvement from among those three.

Using a 4th pick isn't leaving the position alone.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson announced he's retiring after this season if anyone cares to make a thread honoring the legend.

Members online