Official Packers vs Chargers

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't quite put my finger on what's going on with GB right now.

Lacy isn't 100%

Also, Starks had over 100 yards rushing yesterday. Our run game is fine and will be even better after the bye week I suspect.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't quite put my finger on what's going on with GB right now. The running game is almost non-existent, but I can't tell if it's a running back problem, or an O line problem. Without a running game, the O has basically become one dimensional, and the only reason they're doing as well as they are is because of our phenomenal QB. The D has saved the last 3 games for us, and I'm afraid to find out how poorly the O will be on the road. They weren't good on the road when they were killing teams at home, but now the O will probably struggle to score at all if they go up against a good D. I really can't tell what's going on with the team right now, but they should be killing teams like SD at home....

Wr health- you dble Cobb---only Jones can get it done consistently imo...

Add in the defenses of the rams and the chargers it's a perfect storm ..

After bye week I think we see the offense get better.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't quite put my finger on what's going on with GB right now. The running game is almost non-existent, but I can't tell if it's a running back problem, or an O line problem. Without a running game, the O has basically become one dimensional, and the only reason they're doing as well as they are is because of our phenomenal QB. The D has saved the last 3 games for us, and I'm afraid to find out how poorly the O will be on the road. They weren't good on the road when they were killing teams at home, but now the O will probably struggle to score at all if they go up against a good D. I really can't tell what's going on with the team right now, but they should be killing teams like SD at home....

The Packers averaged 7.8 yards per carry yesterday. Even without Starks long TD run the team rushed for 68 yards on 16 carries, which is good enough with Rodgers being the QB. The offense struggles because of the injuries at receiver.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers averaged 7.8 yards per carry yesterday. Even without Starks long TD run the team rushed for 68 yards on 16 carries, which is good enough with Rodgers being the QB. The offense struggles because of the injuries at receiver.
If that's the case, then run the damn ball. I know it's not just that easy, but i'm listening to that game and outside of 1 or 2 drives, this offense reminded me exactly of before. no continuity, we can hit a big play, but if we don't, we do nothing. There were a few points in the 1st half, early second, our offense could have blew this game open, they went 3 and out. Even later, I remember a 3 and out or 2 after basically 3 passes. or hit on a 2nd and 8-10 then 3 passes and punt.

I don't consider the Chargers to be a stalwart defense. From the sounds of it, they pressured Rodgers all day. Maybe Wayne and Larry were lying to me, but for much of the game it didn't sound good. They did have a nice drive later, but they had opportunity to do something with the ball and most times did nothing. They have to find a way to use the players they have. We're not getting anybody else and the guys we have are plenty talented to be able to keep this offense on the field and score some points.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of our issues on offense are actually due to Rodgers. I think as fans we let a lot of things he does slide because how great he really is. By no means am I saying he is bad, but after watching some of the games again, you will see several times a guy open about 5 yards wide open and he will pass up on them and try to look for guys deeper. Which some have resulted in sacks or incompletes. I think he really needs to trust the guys to make plays and I don't think he is trusting them.

Now I know I'm not in practice every day with them, so I don't see what those guys show in practice. But Janis proved that given the chance he can make some plays. Even the check down this past week, he made a great play out of nothing.

I think as fans we oversee some of the things rodgers does, but I think he's gonna have to trust those guys and see the offense start clicking again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think some of our issues on offense are actually due to Rodgers. I think as fans we let a lot of things he does slide because how great he really is. By no means am I saying he is bad, but after watching some of the games again, you will see several times a guy open about 5 yards wide open and he will pass up on them and try to look for guys deeper. Which some have resulted in sacks or incompletes. I think he really needs to trust the guys to make plays and I don't think he is trusting them.

Now I know I'm not in practice every day with them, so I don't see what those guys show in practice. But Janis proved that given the chance he can make some plays. Even the check down this past week, he made a great play out of nothing.

I think as fans we oversee some of the things rodgers does, but I think he's gonna have to trust those guys and see the offense start clicking again.

Eric Baranczyk and Pete Doughtery wrote an article about Rodgers having to adjust to being short-handed at receiver:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2015/10/19/rodgers-adjusting-being-short-handed/74231076/

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, i've always felt, much like Favre before, that Rodgers' greatest strength is also a weakness. He's always looking down field. and that results in a lot of big plays. It also results in lost opportunities as well to keep the chains moving. Just like we lived and died by Favre's trust in his arm. When he put a fast ball between 2 defenders for a TD, nobody cared, but then that didn't always happen either.

I do feel like this offense has regressed slightly and it's not just because of the WR's. There's always a way to beat a defense, they can't defend everything, and I still believe we're good enough at all the offensive skill positions to find a way to beat them. and with Rodgers at qb, there should be no reason not too. I think they're trying to force the bigger play rather than run the offense. but maybe that's me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On McCarren's show last night, he highlighted the Gates one-handed catch on their last drive. Capers rushed 6 on that play. Stop it at the 15 second mark of the video and you'll see four or five were closing in on Rivers as he released the ball (and Peppers being held). That's great pressure but Rivers threw the ball about the only place it could be completed and Gates made a great catch. I think McCarren said something like 'they get paid too'. Way back when we used to say 'they're on scholarship too'.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...Gates-makes-one-handed-catch-for-13-yard-gain

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric Baranczyk and Pete Doughtery wrote an article about Rodgers having to adjust to being short-handed at receiver:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2015/10/19/rodgers-adjusting-being-short-handed/74231076/

I agree with everything said in that column. It's excactly my thoughts, but much better said.

If Rodgers starts to throw to the guys only a few yards down, that means it will open up for the big plays down deep. But right now defenses are giving him the short throws and challenging him on deep plays. Which results in many stalled drives.

Rodgers needs to remember when Jordy and Cobb were not as important, but when they were given the chance they pounced on it. Right now, maybe Janis or Abby are the next guys to do so, but of not given the chance we won't know. Those guys are pros and are getting paid too, it's not like they are just a body.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understood the play where he passed up Janis in front of him - he doesn't trust him and he may have worried about the defender closing in. I hope they're right, "the point could prove academic if receiver Davante Adams returns at full strength after this week’s bye", not only because of the threat Adams posses but because of the domino effect on the other receivers.

From everything I've read it seems Rodgers trusts Abbrederis more than Janis. I thought Abby might get snaps from scrimmage Sunday and even a target or two. He seems better suited to how Baranczyk and Dougherty suggest modifying the offense. But as they write, I hope it's a moot point and both Adams and Montgomery are ready to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

From everything I've read it seems Rodgers trusts Abbrederis more than Janis. I thought Abby might get snaps from scrimmage Sunday and even a target or two. He seems better suited to how Baranczyk and Dougherty suggest modifying the offense.

I was surprised as well that Janis got 40 snaps with Abbrederis playing only three on offense as well.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Some posters should read this portion

Don't overreact to the massive passing numbers Green Bay's defense allowed

500 passing yards is a large amount for one game. Even in an age when quarterbacks are more empowered and protected than in any time in NFL history, such a figure remains an anomaly.

Yet, Chargers signal caller Philip Rivers surpassed the mark during Sunday's game.

Naturally, many see this as a singular failure of the Packers defense. But while the unit certainly struggled at times, Rivers' stat line doesn't accurately portray how the defense performed.

As those who have watched Aaron Rodgers understand, there is no defense for the perfect throw. Some of Rivers' passes indeed went to wide-open targets, but many more were dimes to well covered receivers.

Rivers deserves more credit for his ability to throw perfectly placed passes in volume, and the Packers shouldn't be overly concerned about how many yards they allowed.

After all, the unit held San Diego to 20 points, which is the more important metric.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts