OFFICIAL Packers Vs Bears Week 1 thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No matter how you look at it, allowing 189 rushing yards against a team not having a ton of vertical threats while putting mostly eight guys in the box is reason for concern.

"Concern" maybe, I said panic. This board and across the net, I have seen more panic and negatives, then I have explanations as to why our defense played the way it did yesterday. Definite areas to work on and clean-up, but with starters coming back and more playing time, I'm ultimately not worried as much as some. Also, keep in mind 7 points were given up at the end of the game, while in prevent and 4 other points provided due to Shields offsides penalty. Had the final been 31-12, I think the yards given up and the missed tackles, wouldn't be so glaring to some.

D

Deleted member 6794

"Concern" maybe, I said panic. This board and across the net, I have seen more panic and negatives, then I have explanations as to why our defense played the way it did yesterday. Definite areas to work on and clean-up, but with starters coming back and more playing time, I'm ultimately not worried as much as some. Also, keep in mind 7 points were given up at the end of the game, while in prevent and 4 other points provided due to Shields offsides penalty. Had the final been 31-12, I think the yards given up and the missed tackles, wouldn't be so glaring to some.

There´s no reason to panic as the Packers got the most important job done by winning the game but the fact that the run defense gave up way too many rushing yards although stacking the box shouldn´t be ignored either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree about concern with the run D. The tackling was not good and it seemed their 'run fits' were consistently off - LBs were running past the Bears RBs. Defenders have to do more than just run into gaps. And Cutler's patience at the LOS, waiting to get a better read on the D, may have resulted in the Bears running away from blitzes on several occasions. Of course like everyone else I'm happy with the win but the bad news from this game is the Bears once again have a professional coaching staff in place.

• HHCD really needs to tackle better - and part of that is to come to balance as he gets near the RB - or QB.
• I really don't know what Shields was thinking on the chip-shot FG attempt. The chances of blocking that aren't good enough to justify the risk of being off sides.
• Just watching it live I got the impression Palmer covered Forte as a receiver better than Matthews did. I'll have to take another look at that.
• Richardson was on the field to start the game and he pressured Cutler into an incompletion on the fourth-and-goal play.
• The Bears didn't register a sack and the number of pressures will probably look better on paper than what I saw on the field. I probably have too high expectations but it looked like the OL didn't perform as well as they did at the end of last season. I hope it's because a couple of them are still recovering from injury.
• Montgomery was great returning kick offs.
• Crosby looked great on the FG, PATs and KOs, Masthay was a disappointment again. His first punt went 54 yards but was a touchback (net 34 yards) - that sometimes happens even with a decent punt. But his second punt from the EZ was a line drive that went 43 yards and was returned for 11 (net 32). The Bears started at the Packers' 41. That's a 'money kick' a punter can prove his worth on. He's still got time to improve but the weather conditions won't be any better...

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was brilliant as usual.
Jones was big time. He's gonna take some of the sting of losing Jordy away.
Lacy is a beast and a load.
I'm hoping TJV is right about the Oline. Bak in particular was bad.
Defense- same crap different year. Can't tackle, cover, get off blocks or stop the run. Outside of Peppers, Matthews, and the potential of the youngsters in the secondary, there's just not much there.
Gonna need to be a lot better next week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just watching it live I got the impression Palmer covered Forte as a receiver better than Matthews did. I'll have to take another look at that.

Palmer was surprisingly good in coverage but had troubles in run defense. It´s likely his injured hand is still bothering him there.

The Bears didn't register a sack and the number of pressures will probably look better on paper than what I saw on the field. I probably have too high expectations but it looked like the OL didn't perform as well as they did at the end of last season. I hope it's because a couple of them are still recovering from injury.

I think the offensive line did a great job of protecting Rodgers as he wasn´t even hit once. The unit, especially Bakhtiari, has to improve blocking for the run though.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was closer than I expected. Thankfully Cutler threw another one of his trademark interceptions!!
The defense had better learn how to stop the run before next Sunday!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cutler's INT was more of a great play by Matthews than a bad one by Cutler.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought Cutler's INT was more of a great play by Matthews than a bad one by Cutler.
It was a great play by Matthews, but Cutler's eyes locked onto the TE from the snap and Matthews read his eyes.

Here are McGinn’s ratings for the game. Always worth reading IMO.
RECEIVERS (4 ½)
OFFENSIVE LINE (4)
QUARTERBACKS (5)
RUNNING BACKS (3 1/2)
DEFENSIVE LINE (2)
LINEBACKERS (2)
SECONDARY (1)
KICKERS (3)
SPECIAL TEAMS (3 ½)

OVERALL (3 ½)
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99576523z1-327619801.html

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was MM out coached?

Fox had the ideal game plan against the Packers, run the ball since the Packers are routinely bad against the run. The defense was sloppy, racking up penalties and missed tackles. The same problems surface every year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fox had the ideal game plan against the Packers, run the ball since the Packers are routinely bad against the run. The defense was sloppy, racking up penalties and missed tackles. The same problems surface every year.

This is like saying other head coaches getting outcoached because Rodgers had a good game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a great play by Matthews, but Cutler's eyes locked onto the TE from the snap and Matthews read his eyes.

Here are McGinn’s ratings for the game. Always worth reading IMO.
RECEIVERS (4 ½)
OFFENSIVE LINE (4)
QUARTERBACKS (5)
RUNNING BACKS (3 1/2)
DEFENSIVE LINE (2)
LINEBACKERS (2)
SECONDARY (1)
KICKERS (3)
SPECIAL TEAMS (3 ½)

OVERALL (3 ½)
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99576523z1-327619801.html

Yep, I always enjoy McGinn's game ratings column.

Godgers12XLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laughed hardcore on that Cutler INT but I'll admit they had me a little worried.. thought they might pull it out on a Gould FG as time expired.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bears executed their offense very well. I thought they looked pretty good especially for week 1. They'll win more games than I had originally thought.

Members online

Latest posts