OFFICIAL DEFENSIVE ISSUES THREAD

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
This is it right there. I don't think the D is bad. I just don't think they have any consistency. Why I don't know. Hopefully they turn it up a notch in the playoffs when it's all on the line for good. I truly believe there is enough talent there to be a decent enough D to not cost this team a repeat.

Hopefully having homefield advantage will slow down some of the more explosive offenses we'll have to face in the playoffs. Saints more specifically.

But yeah playoffs are all about who peaks at the right time, as long we're playing championship defense at the right time, we'll be fine. I know we can do it, we just have to stay disciplined....and healthy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is still a serious lack of consistency on defense. It puzzles me why we can't play consistently good on defense. We have the talent, we have the players but we just can't execute on weekly basis. I just really, really hope that we'll be where we need to be when the playoffs start. That's really all that matters. I love that our defense attacks the football and make plays when we need them, but getting stops are just as important

Nick gone..along with Hawk and Bishop too

Those are the communicators

The new LB that filled in for Bish, had to call the plays this week

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Nick gone..along with Hawk and Bishop too

Those are the communicators

The new LB that filled in for Bish, had to call the plays this week

I'm pretty sure it's Hawk that wears the dot.

I was actually pretty impressed with Smith's play, he handled it well being a rookie getting his first start. Collins loss hasn't been as detrimental as I thought it would be Peprah has been doing pretty solid. Once in a while he'll look like a fool where normally Collins would make the play, but he's not a bum.

Even with Bishop and Hawk we still play pretty bad. That's not where we got torn up anyway so I doubt it would have made that much of a difference if they had played

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From the beginning of the season the D wasn't playing up to last year's standard, even before injuries hit Williams and Collins. I think part of the reason is teams used all the time during the lockout to dissect Capers' D and not only was he unable to surprise teams by using the 2-4-5 with Woodson as the "rover" and his exotic blitz packages; opponents were fully prepared for them.

Remember after the San Diego game when Woodson said Capers has to draw some plays up to free up Clay from double teams? He was basically advocating for a more aggressive scheme on defense. IMO knowing they can rely upon the best offense in the league, the Packers can emphasize one of two defensive schemes: One is "bend but don't break" which puts pressure on opposing Os not to make mistakes as they drive down the field. The benefit should be limiting the number of explosive plays and forcing teams to attempt FGs; the disadvantage is opponents can eat up the clock, keeping Rodgers & weapons off the field. This is the style of play the Bears under Lovie Smith generally use, with an emphasis on causing fumbles. That's what I think Capers was doing through the San Diego game, only with an emphasis on INTs. The other way to go is attack opposing offenses relentlessly. The benefit is turnovers are more likely as are stops after big plays on D. The disadvantage is that style allows more explosive plays. Either way, opponents get stopped more quickly, score more quickly, or turn the ball over and they won't be as likely to eat up the clock and Rodgers & weapons will get plenty of opportunities. Don't get me wrong: Every team uses a combination of these tactics; I'm talking about the emphasis of the D scheme. Of course Capers would prefer getting consistent pressure on the QB rushing four and keeping seven back in coverage. But they haven't been able to do that consistently - most NFL teams can't - so IMO one of the other options has to be emphasized. I favor the latter: A "quick strike" defense, even with its disadvantages, to go along with the quick strike offense because let's face it, the team relies upon, and will continue to rely upon Rodgers & weapons. I think Capers has been going more and more to that scheme. The pressure on Manning Sunday is the latest example.

BTW, I disagree about Collins - I think his loss is extremely significant. Morgan Burnett is very athletic for a safety IMO but Collins is even more so: He's got CB speed in a safety's body, he makes plays on the ball, he knows the D's Xs and Os inside and out, and having started since he was drafted in 2005, his experience is invaluable. I have the feeling he helped the CBs by covering up mistakes even more than we knew. (Thompson's first two draft picks as Packers' GM: Rodgers and Collins!)

BTW #2, Hawk is the "QB" of the D - one of the reasons they let Barnett go was how well Hawk adjusted to that role after Barnett got hurt.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit the Packers are my 2nd favorite team as I've been a Redskins fan for years. But my wife is a diehard cheesehead. Born and raised in Wisconsin.

This year I've paid far more attnetion to GB for obvious reasons, mainly, they're just so much fun to watch! Since my team can't seem to get out of their own way, I root for the Packers every week. I'd love to see them go 19-0, but their defense has me worried.

This offense is a machine, but how many times are they gonna be able to bail out the defense? The Saints are gonna give them fits. They have the type of offense that can just keep scoring, especially when going against a siv a of D like GB's. The Packers will probably have to score over 40 points to win that game. If they manage to beat the Saints, they will more than likely end up facing either Pittsburgh, NE, or Baltimore in the SB. I don't think they'd have that much trouble with the Ravens, but I think NE and Pitts would both be trouble for them. They both have very potent offenses and could easily give GB fits. One bad game for GB's offense could mean the end.

I guess I don't understand why their defense is struggling so much this year. They have almost exactly the same players as they had last year, and yet this year their play is abismal. They were a good D last year. What happened?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gb's offense has hit those speed bumps, with drops, a sometimes non existent run game, and an offensive line that is banged up to say the least. But still no one has been able to stop them, honestly I don't know if there is a team that has the pass rush and coverage needed to take down Rodgers and Co. Maybe Baltimore? But their secondary isn't amazing and they have really lost some head scratchers so far this year. Who knows? What I do know is all the big plays this defense still comes up with seem to make the 4 or 5 big plays they give up a little easier to swallow. One can just hope that if it really comes down to it they can get the ball back with 58 seconds or so. Or maybe even end the game on a 4th down stop (ala Saints and Panthers this year).

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and the two differences between this year and last..... two guys Collins and Jenkins. They both provided the things this defense is lacking the most right now. Inside pass rush opposite of Matthews, and a QB of the Defense that made sure everyone was where they needed to be, when they needed to be there. Lets be honest with ourselves, Morgan Burnett is still a young guy with promise and greatly benefitted playing next to a ball hawking Pro Bowler in Collins.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think any team can beat the Packers if, let's say for example they're down by less than TD and their offense gets the ball with a minute or so left on the clock, their offense will get the points they need. Where I see them losing is if they manage to fall behind a team by a significant amount, and that team can just keep scoring at will....the team I've seen that has that ability is the Saints.....

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers' defense is worse than it was before. Obviously the loss of Cullen Jenkins over the offseason and Nick Collins going to injured reserve has hurt them. However I think the reason that we have been giving up so many yards this year is because our offense is so much better. Teams have been playing from behind against us all year. They have had to pass and pass.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm I think they can go at least 12 and 0 and COUNTING. No one has stopped them yet. Oh, and by the way, we already beat the Saints, so we are prepared to do it again. In fact, this Packers team is like the Saints team that won the superbowl because we have an opportunistic defense that is number 1 in takeaways. Is the defense struggling compared to last year? absolutely. Can any other team in the NFL put up more points than us head to head? NOT SO FAR!

And my condolenses about you being a Redskins fan, that must really suck.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think we can make it the whole way with our D. They may not be the greatest thing in the world with letting the yards happen and all but they do well stopping points from going up on the board, and with our offense we can keep putting points on the board.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
We can go all the way. There will be times that the D needs to make a play or a key stand and that worries me a little bit.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends on the opponent. Yeah I know, but if we play a team that has both a pretty good offense and a better defense than ours (wouldn't take much:rolleyes: ) then we are in for a dogfight. See last weeks game.

I think we are ok getting to the Super Bowl but I fear a team like Pittsburgh if they make it.

Reaction score
The Browns, Seahawks and Jaguars all got "top ranked" defenses.... how's that working out?

It's the Arena Football League these days.... Run The Football/Defense = like using sticks n' stones during world war 2.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers' defense is worse than it was before. Obviously the loss of Cullen Jenkins over the offseason and Nick Collins going to injured reserve has hurt them. However I think the reason that we have been giving up so many yards this year is because our offense is so much better. Teams have been playing from behind against us all year. They have had to pass and pass.
Oh our defense is worse. We're giving up huge amounts of yards to teams right out of the box. Rookies and ordinary QB's alike have burned us.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I have observed so far this season, yes, they can make it with this defense but only if the offense is performing as they have been. It's actually dependent on the offense, rather than the defense. We have been able to go 12-0 so far this season, winning games that we have struggled in. But regarding the defense, I think they have a lot left in them that we have not seen and I think that it will be unmasked in the late to post season. TT is good with hiding weapons and unsheathing them when they will do the most damage, think Starks for the offense late last season to post season. The defense has struggled this year. You could blame the loss of Jenkins and Collins, the lack of a camp for having denied the team the time to gel 0n a morphing defensive line. They probably have made some necessary changes to adapt to a changing game. Because the defense was so good last year, you can pretty much bet that every team with the Packers on their schedule has studied up 3 times as much as they would of for an ordinary team. I think this defense has a lot of heart left, I've seen signs of life. For all we know, it may just be the defense that saves us this year, not the offense. This team seems to have all have each other's backs. Where the defense struggles, the offense prevails and vice versa.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I admit the Packers are my 2nd favorite team as I've been a Redskins fan for years. But my wife is a diehard cheesehead. Born and raised in Wisconsin.

This year I've paid far more attnetion to GB for obvious reasons, mainly, they're just so much fun to watch! Since my team can't seem to get out of their own way, I root for the Packers every week. I'd love to see them go 19-0, but their defense has me worried.

This offense is a machine, but how many times are they gonna be able to bail out the defense? The Saints are gonna give them fits. They have the type of offense that can just keep scoring, especially when going against a siv a of D like GB's. The Packers will probably have to score over 40 points to win that game. If they manage to beat the Saints, they will more than likely end up facing either Pittsburgh, NE, or Baltimore in the SB. I don't think they'd have that much trouble with the Ravens, but I think NE and Pitts would both be trouble for them. They both have very potent offenses and could easily give GB fits. One bad game for GB's offense could mean the end.

I guess I don't understand why their defense is struggling so much this year. They have almost exactly the same players as they had last year, and yet this year their play is abismal. They were a good D last year. What happened?

I'm not sure how much the loss of Nick Collins has impacted the defense to be honest, but... also to be honest...I wasn't sold on last year's defense neither - last year the run defense didn't really gel until the end of the season ... but, by stats they were rated extremely high...so, that shows what I know.

To answer the question posed in your subject line ... I think that this defense will go as far as the offense takes them. Again...just my opinion...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can make it the whole way with our D. They may not be the greatest thing in the world with letting the yards happen and all but they do well stopping points from going up on the board, and with our offense we can keep putting points on the board.
^ This.

I've noticed that a lot of Packers fans on here overlook just how good the d-fense really is.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Oh our defense is worse. We're giving up huge amounts of yards to teams right out of the box. Rookies and ordinary QB's alike have burned us.

Newton has burned practically everyone, Ponder had a good game with not too much tape to study off of. And the most important thing is they bend but they don't break. And its not like our D hasn't saved us last year, with the last minute interceptions to end the game in the Eagles and Chicago game. Plus our D is the best at making interceptions, the best way to do it is make them throw.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ This.

I've noticed that a lot of Packers fans on here overlook just how good the d-fense really is.

That's because they get caught up in what the talking heads complain about. They see us give up a lot of yards but ignore that we're ranked 17 in points allowed and we lead the league in turnovers. Not great by any means, but more than capable of getting the job done.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because they get caught up in what the talking heads complain about. They see us give up a lot of yards but ignore that we're ranked 17 in points allowed and we lead the league in turnovers. Not great by any means, but more than capable of getting the job done.
Exactly.
I agree and I think there are those who are getting more hung up on the numbers than what is going on in front of them.
The d-fence reallly comes through when it needs to.
And despite tons of dropped passes by Finely, he did make the catch when it really counted on the final game winning field goal drive.
The only way to beat the Packers is not against the offense but to outscore them and somehow the Pack D is doing a good enough job to prevent that and I have tons of faith that they will continue.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Anyone ever think maybe our D is just depressed and that isn't why they are playing well, that they just can't seem to stop the Packers offense in practice? They try everything, including what other teams have done and just can't stop them and after this long they just feel like its something they have to do and stopped focusing on defeating other teams but just trying to stop Rodgers and his excellent offense. They want to prove that their own offense is stoppable, but they can't do it, just like anyone else and its sending bad vibes to them. :p

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But regarding the defense, I think they have a lot left in them that we have not seen and I think that it will be unmasked in the late to post season. TT is good with hiding weapons and unsheathing them when they will do the most damage, think Starks for the offense late last season to post season. The defense has struggled this year. You could blame the loss of Jenkins and Collins, the lack of a camp for having denied the team the time to gel 0n a morphing defensive line. They probably have made some necessary changes to adapt to a changing game. Because the defense was so good last year, you can pretty much bet that every team with the Packers on their schedule has studied up 3 times as much as they would of for an ordinary team. I think this defense has a lot of heart left, I've seen signs of life. For all we know, it may just be the defense that saves us this year, not the offense. This team seems to have all have each other's backs. Where the defense struggles, the offense prevails and vice versa.
Bravo!
Excellent post.
Very well put.

What I put in bold is something I've realized recently too.
I don't think it's that the Packers D is so bad, I think opposing offenses are somehow finding ways to beat them and are good for that game.
The fan of their own team is always too quick to criticize it's own team rather than give credit to the competition.
Eli Manning was awesome! He made some really great throws and I was impressed with his big accurate plays starting with the first score on their opening drive!
Maybe the Pack d-fense didn't cover, but let's face the music together. Eli Manning and the Giants played a great offense.
Will anyone else besides myself admit this?
Or is it the same old thing? Packs D sucks so bad it made the Giants offense look good?
Even Charles Woodson knows how good the Giants are since he touched knuckles with the receiver who caught the end zone pass against him.
So it's not always the defense being bad, it's that they are sometimes outplayed but not enough to lose. And Sunday was just one of those days.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Our secondary, I know is capable of playing better in coverage than they are. Tramon and Peprah just didn't play very well.