OFFICIAL DEFENSIVE ISSUES THREAD

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Anybody think Neal could be back by the time we play Detroit?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Why does anyone have to accept your OPINION on anything?
No one has to accept it. I don't really care. But a lot of Packer fans talk as if it's in the bag. People dismiss San Fran as not playing anyone yet ignore the Packers early schedule. The more the Packers win the less Packer fans are realistic about the problems their team has. If they win out and I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. But I just don't see it happening.

Call me on it if I am wrong.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
It was good to see the Pack D put together a solid game, along with the usual stellar performance by Rodgers & Co. I, for one, needed a blow-out game where I could sit back, drink a few brews, and just watch the magic without stressing out. That it occurred against the hated Vikings-- all the more enjoyable.

Now, let's do it again against TB.

Hope Neal plays soon. And, did I see So'oto get a few plays on Monday? I think I did!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one has to accept it. I don't really care. But a lot of Packer fans talk as if it's in the bag. People dismiss San Fran as not playing anyone yet ignore the Packers early schedule. The more the Packers win the less Packer fans are realistic about the problems their team has. If they win out and I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. But I just don't see it happening.

And many more Packer fans realize that it's not in the bag and that the Pack needs to improve if they're gonna be real favorites to repeat. The defensive weaknesses have been pointed out by Pack fans more than anyone else, it's just that there's a belief that the defense CAN improve by the time the playoffs roll around and that the game against Minn was a very good sign that it's happening. There's fine line between being cautious and being a nay-sayer.

And come on, chalking it all up to the defense exploiting rookie QBs is just a way of not giving credit where credit is due-nay saying. Ponder and Newton are not your average rookie QBs.

The Packers do need to improve on defense, they're showing signs of improvement and if they do, then they SHOULD be the favorites to win the SB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I dont think it is in the bag...They have a long road to go

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of talk about the defense not being as good as they can be.
While it's true the Packers don't appear to have a consistantly dominant defense right now, they don't need one.
A good defense, sure, but they don't need a Top Five one.
The cliche that "defense wins championships" simply doesn't hold true anymore.
Today's NFL is built around the passing game. It's much more difficult for defenses today than even 6-7 years ago. The rules are stacked against them. A top-flight quarterback is far more important to winning a championship these days.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While it's true the Packers don't appear to have a consistantly dominant defense right now, they don't need one.
Today's NFL is built around the passing game. It's much more difficult for defenses today than even 6-7 years ago. The rules are stacked against them. A top-flight quarterback is far more important to winning a championship these days.

Yup....11 pages of it..So that is why yours was moved to this thread

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup....11 pages of it..So that is why yours was moved to this thread
Yes...I wasn't sure if it should go here or if it merited it's own thread, since I was trying to address larger issues beyond specific problems w/the Packers defense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your right.
I think if the Pack played a playoff game today, right now, they would win by outscoring the opposing team. Up until Mon. night, they were showing that's all they needed to do to win. And the D-Fence was always, always, always doing fine and helping the Pack win.
Of course there are those on here who are hanging onto the old adage "Defense wins championships" and somehow think that a playoff game is all of a sudden a mystical magical thing that is somehow not the same.
But it is. A playoff game is just like a reg. season game. Yeah, it's a different situation. Lose or go home. But it's still just football.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
More info on the Packers defense and how they dealt with the Vikings passing game. I would like to thank them for helping teach our new QB all about blitzing and what to look for in the future. Something he never would have learned on the bench.
Using 11 different combinations of blitzers and mixing man and zone coverage behind them, Capers sent 28 patterns (rushes involving inside linebackers or defensive backs) in Ponder's 36 dropbacks (77.8%), including the last nine in a row despite leading by 30-plus. MLB Desmond Bishop blitzed most frequently (13 times), followed by CB Charles Woodson (seven), BLB A.J. Hawk (seven), subpackage CB Jarrett Bush (six), FS Morgan Burnett (three) and CB Tramon Williams (one). The result was three sacks, 17 total QB pressures, three passes batted at the line and a 16-of-34 passing line (47.1%) that could have been worse if Ponder hadn't stuck several tough throws into traffic.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_loss_to_the_Packers111611

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No one has to accept it. I don't really care. But a lot of Packer fans talk as if it's in the bag. People dismiss San Fran as not playing anyone yet ignore the Packers early schedule. The more the Packers win the less Packer fans are realistic about the problems their team has.

EVERY team has a few problems to deal with. The best teams are simply those who know best how to deal with them most effectively. We've done extremely well in that regard and will continue to do so.

Will do!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Packers D could blitz the remaining QBs they face this season. Freeman isn't that good at picking up blitzes but because he is so big and strong, he's hard to tackle....like McCarthy said, kind of like Big Ben. Stafford looks scared these past couple of weeks. A blitzing Clay Matthews or Charles Woodson will make him even more scary. You can blitz Eli too...the problem is he's 6'4 and can see the blitz coming. Palmer can be blitzed as well....not sure what Kansas City QB will be trotted out by the time we play them.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is this: Up until the Monday night game, the defense had been a bit wishy-washy but came up big when it needed to. Think back to the first game of the season against the Saints. They were up against the goal-line and stuffed 'em. On Monday it all changed, and the Packers D really came up big. In fact I was so pleased I just had to clap after the game. Clay got 2 sacks, and both weren't cheapies. Chucky Dubya played a STELLAR game, and man oh man do I wish he would have got that pick 6. Tramon snagged an INT. All in all it was a great performance.

In closing, I feel that that the first 8 games of the season that we played might not have been defensive master pieces but, as I said earlier, the D came up big when it needed to. Hell, we even walked into Monday's game leading the NFL in INTs (on the good side of the ball!). Now I think the D knows how great it did and will continue to play extra hard for the final 7 games remaining and into the playoffs.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
In today's news conference they asked the Coach about the defense. He said basically; We're 10-0. We're playing winning football. We're fully aware of the defensive stats... why it's going on...we're playing winning football...there's a tendency of too many yards on defense...we're working on it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
OK, it may be time to resurrect this thread. That secondary play yesterday was frightening. It didn't seem like the D slowed down the running game much either. The only bright spot was the hits the D were getting on Manning. Is this a trade off; hit the QB and give up yards rushing? It would be great if the secondary actually stayed in their jocks when a receiver faked them.

D

Dan115

OK, it may be time to resurrect this thread. That secondary play yesterday was frightening. It didn't seem like the D slowed down the running game much either. The only bright spot was the hits the D were getting on Manning. Is this a trade off; hit the QB and give up yards rushing? It would be great if the secondary actually stayed in their jocks when a receiver faked them.

Ted knows where this team needs help. Watch his draft in April.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The biggest problem yesterday was coverage. Victor Cruz came into the game as the leading Giants receiver. We should have known he was going to be targeted the most, kinda like Vincent Jackson in SD, where we let Phillip Rivers constantly burn us throwing bombs to him all day, but we didn't even try to stop Cruz or Hakeem Nicks at that, because both of them were wide open with no one covering them on the final drive.

I love Dom Capers, I've been a fan of his work dating back to the "Dome Patrol" and the fear some linebackers he built up under Jim Mora in New Orleans, but something has got to give. Capers isn't blitzing like we did last year, and when we do blitz they leave guys wide open and give the QB enough time to make a big play. Capers is a genius defensive coordinator, there is really no excuses for us to be getting burned like this. His history with defenses is quite prolific. Go back and watch tape of his work in New Orleans and compare it to our blitzes last year, then compare it how we don't blitz barely at all this year.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
There is still a serious lack of consistency on defense. It puzzles me why we can't play consistently good on defense. We have the talent, we have the players but we just can't execute on weekly basis. I just really, really hope that we'll be where we need to be when the playoffs start. That's really all that matters. I love that our defense attacks the football and make plays when we need them, but getting stops are just as important

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone else made a good point earlier,
I think this D does alot better when we get pressure on the QB, however we need the secondary to cover better.
Yesterday was a great example, Matthews was in tons of QB hits but Eli was able to get the ball out of his hands so quickly that it didn't matter how quick 52 was coming off the line.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
There is still a serious lack of consistency on defense. It puzzles me why we can't play consistently good on defense. We have the talent, we have the players but we just can't execute on weekly basis. I just really, really hope that we'll be where we need to be when the playoffs start. That's really all that matters. I love that our defense attacks the football and make plays when we need them, but getting stops are just as important

This is it right there. I don't think the D is bad. I just don't think they have any consistency. Why I don't know. Hopefully they turn it up a notch in the playoffs when it's all on the line for good. I truly believe there is enough talent there to be a decent enough D to not cost this team a repeat.