Offensive Talent

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lol you don't say ...

And people wonder why smart GMing would have been grabbing superstar players like Parris Campbell while they were available.

In Thompson's defense, he got senile and forgot the Pac12 where his draft picks were coming from was a lousy conference. Gute is a straight up offense killer who's responsible for it being devoid of high caliber playmakers.

Ok, this has to be a burner account for Brandon... no two people could be this dumb in such remarkably similar ways.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it does make sense Amos understands their O system and player personalities, The receiver couldn’t have caught that ball in his position. It was slightly overthrown but uncatchable worst case for us. I only know that because they replayed it like 4 times, then it made highlights reels.
it would have been a tremendous catch but impossible? no. the collision with amos made it impossible.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
it would have been a tremendous catch but impossible? no. the collision with amos made it impossible.
Ok. You said he “may have very well scored a TD”.

I’m going to rephrase my “Impossible” for the score on that to agree it’s possible the Bears score and even beat us.

Now that that’s behind us. You’d make an absolutely terrible ref! Have your eyes been checked lately? :roflmao:
I’m just poking at ya Gary relax!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ball was overthrown, and had it been thrown shorter or with less trajectory it would have been easy pickings for Tramon. The margin for error on that pass was zero and Mitch isn't good enough for that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. You said he “may have very well scored a TD”.

I’m going to rephrase my “Impossible” for the score on that to agree it’s possible the Bears score and even beat us.

Now that that’s behind us. You’d make an absolutely terrible ref! Have your eyes been checked lately? :roflmao:
I’m just poking at ya Gary relax!
what did my eyes miss?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only collision was when the Bears Receiver tried to bear hug Tramon and push him aside, Amos didn't collide with him

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, it's pretty clear that the defense has been almost completely addressed by now. It's also clear that the offense has been neglected over the years in an attempt to do so.

I'll give credit where it's due-that Chicago defense is monstrous. But I watched LaFluer on a Tennessee team which was bottom 10 the previous year, lost it's top 2 receivers from the previous year, and there still isn't a visible difference in talent between the two.

The team clearly doesn't have a go-to RB. The TEs are slow as molasses and Graham is particularly becoming less useful. They have no receivers outside of Adams, particularly in the slot. It seems that we'll have an issue running the ball, which is not helped by the fact that there are no real receiving threats outside of Adams. MVS is good as a streak guy, but he's not a polished receiver and LaFluer nor Rodgers seem to be high on anyone else.

McCarthy deserves blame for many things, but it's clear that all of the offensive woes weren't on him. The talent just isn't there . Skill position talent acquisition must be the #1 priority this off-season, and I'm not even against trading for some help during the season, given how good the defense looks.

It's been one game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only contact Amos had with the receiver was when the receiver fell into his hip as Amos caught the ball moving away from him.

H

HardRightEdge

And people wonder why smart GMing would have been grabbing superstar players like Parris Campbell while they were available.
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Parris Campbell's stat line in his NFL debut was:

1 target, 1 catch, 1 yard, 5 YAC. So, that was a screen of some sort from 6 yards behind the LOS. No drops, so there's that.

1 run, 7 yards. A jet sweep or reverse?

Looks like he may be the Colts go-to guy behind the LOS. :coffee:

Seriously, though, it's not fair to judge a rookie by his first NFL game, especially a WR. Then again, there's nothing here to justify banging that drum again. Bang it when there's something to bang about.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off topic real fast but The Saints kicker just won them the game with a 58 yard field goal. (Lucky Bastards)

Does anyone have that same confidence in Crosby pulling that off?

H

HardRightEdge

Off topic real fast but The Saints kicker just won them the game with a 58 yard field goal. (Lucky Bastards)

The Jets opened the season against the Bills with Kaare Vedvik as their place kicker. Sounds like an ex-soccer play from Scandanavia. Dunno. He was the 3rd. kicker they'd tried in the previous two weeks. I don't know who this guy is, nor the two he beat out. Anyway, against the Bills he attempted one extra point. He missed it. He attempted one FG from 45 yards. He missed that too.

The Jets lost 17-16. The Jets are holding kicker tryouts tomorrow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
  • There are maybe 2 or 3 out of hundreds of unproven kickers available in any given year who actually become good kickers and some of those guys fall apart at some point. There are way more Vedviks than that NO kicker, assuming that wasn't just a one off. Only time will tell if he holds up.
  • Few special teams coaches are "kicker whisperers" who can set them right when something goes wrong. Miss a couple of early kicks and you're back on the street. The few kicking gurus out there run private camps.
  • Kickers are not developed in the NFL. Whatever they have or will have, they bring with them. It is rare to see one on a practice squad. That development takes place in private work, in a guru camp or on the lonely local high school practice field, waiting for a tryout.
  • Practice kicks in camp only mean something if the guy misses too often. If he stripes them all it doesn't tell you much without the pressure of a full-on contact rush in money games.
  • That leaves you with preseason game kicks, not many attempts to go on, and that's without money game pressure.
Rightly or wrongly, the NFL treats finding a decent kicker without an NFL track record as money game trial and error. Margins for error are very small. Finding a winner among unproven kickers is like finding a needle in a haystack. It's easy to point to those 2 or 3 newcomers per year who break through. It is also easy to see how many filter through training camps and then back on the street if one cares to look, and there are tons more of those.

If you don't like Crosby you have two choices. You can try to sign a proven kicker in free agency. That's water under the bridge for this year. Even then, if he has competitive offers from dome or warm weather teams where do you think he'd sign? The other choice comes down to, "do you feel lucky?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Jets opened the season against the Bills with Kaare Vedvik as their place kicker. Sounds like an ex-soccer play from Scandanavia. Dunno. He was the 3rd. kicker they'd tried in the previous two weeks. I don't know who this guy is, nor the two he beat out. Anyway, against the Bills he attempted one extra point. He missed it. He attempted one FG from 45 yards. He missed that too.

The Jets lost 17-16. The Jets are holding kicker tryouts tomorrow.

Well the good news, from what I understand, replacing your kicker is super easy. Jets will have a Pro Bowler in there kicking by Sunday! :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Short answer.....Yes.

Long Answer: Not every time. ;) Lutz missed a shorter one to end the half. Even the quality kickers are a crap shoot from 50+ yards. Even Gostkowski was 2 of 5 last year from 50+ and lifetime, 71%

H

HardRightEdge

Well the good news, from what I understand, replacing your kicker is super easy. Jets will have a Pro Bowler in there kicking by Sunday! :coffee:
And even if that guy is a Pro Bowler, he could be the next Dan Bailey, Pro Bowl and 2nd. Team All Pro in 2015, then a 75% field goal kicker in 2017 and 2018. Maybe he'll miss a couple for us on Sunday.

Blair Walsh had arguably the greatest kicking season of all time as a rookie in 2012 when he made 10-10 from 50+ yards, 35-38 total. He's been down and up since, under 75% three of the last four seasons he actually played. He couldn't land a job in 2018. He got a chance in Atlanta's camp this year but was cut. Maybe he'll be trying out with the Jets tomorrow.

Reaction score

oddly, that’s the kinda Kick that with Crosby I’d feel comfortable with having a legit shot, not so much with Ficken

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Short answer.....Yes.

Long Answer: Not every time. ;) Lutz missed a shorter one to end the half. Even the quality kickers are a crap shoot from 50+ yards. Even Gostkowski was 2 of 5 last year from 50+ and lifetime, 71%

Lutz also missed that final kick but there was a roughing the kicker call so he got a second shot at the winning kick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lutz also missed that final kick but there was a roughing the kicker call so he got a second shot at the winning kick.

I think Lutz only kicked once and made it, maybe I missed something?

I thought that it was Fairbairn that missed the XP to go ahead, but he got a redo after a roughing the kicker call and made it?

The Saints player who ran into him was shown on the sidelines, looking like he wanted to find a hole to crawl into. I imagine he was one of the happiest players when Lutz's winning kick split the uprights.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys guys guys it was a week 1 effort with a new offense run by players who had seen precious little game experience in the first 4 weeks and Rodgers is seeing his first action of the year. IMO wait until weeks 3-4 before evaluating the level of talent on this offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guys guys guys it was a week 1 effort with a new offense run by players who had seen precious little game experience in the first 4 weeks and Rodgers is seeing his first action of the year. IMO wait until weeks 3-4 before evaluating the level of talent on this offense.

At this point, I tend to agree with this and it also isn't going to be that much easier against the Vikings Defense. However, am I the only one sick of hearing this every fricking year? "The offense just needs time to jell and get rolling, they are rusty". I watched more NFL football this weekend than I normally do and I saw quite a few "first week" offenses look far from rusty. Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, this offense doesn't have a lot of new moving parts to it.

So yeah, I get it, Rodgers didn't play all preseason because of this and that, this is a new offense, etc.....but what the hell are they doing during the offseason and preseason? This isn't like they all just met last Thursday, took off their street clothes, put on the pads and decided to play together again.

I will probably take some heat over this post, but I'm really getting tired of "they just need a few games to knock the rust off". Then do THAT! In the preseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At this point, I tend to agree with this and it also isn't going to be that much easier against the Vikings Defense. However, am I the only one sick of hearing this every fricking year? "The offense just needs time to jell and get rolling, they are rusty". I watched more NFL football this weekend than I normally do and I saw quite a few "first week" offenses look far from rusty. Rodgers isn't a rookie QB, this offense doesn't have a lot of new moving parts to it.

So yeah, I get it, Rodgers didn't play all preseason because of this and that, this is a new offense, etc.....but what the hell are they doing during the offseason and preseason? This isn't like they all just met last Thursday, took off their street clothes, put on the pads and decided to play together again.

I will probably take some heat over this post, but I'm really getting tired of "they just need a few games to knock the rust off". Then do THAT! In the preseason.

I'm sympathetic to your gripe, but this is clearly a different situation with a new coach and new offense.