Offensive Talent

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, it's pretty clear that the defense has been almost completely addressed by now. It's also clear that the offense has been neglected over the years in an attempt to do so.

I'll give credit where it's due-that Chicago defense is monstrous. But I watched LaFluer on a Tennessee team which was bottom 10 the previous year, lost it's top 2 receivers from the previous year, and there still isn't a visible difference in talent between the two.

The team clearly doesn't have a go-to RB. The TEs are slow as molasses and Graham is particularly becoming less useful. They have no receivers outside of Adams, particularly in the slot. It seems that we'll have an issue running the ball, which is not helped by the fact that there are no real receiving threats outside of Adams. MVS is good as a streak guy, but he's not a polished receiver and LaFluer nor Rodgers seem to be high on anyone else.

McCarthy deserves blame for many things, but it's clear that all of the offensive woes weren't on him. The talent just isn't there . Skill position talent acquisition must be the #1 priority this off-season, and I'm not even against trading for some help during the season, given how good the defense looks.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, it's pretty clear that the defense has been almost completely addressed by now. It's also clear that the offense has been neglected over the years in an attempt to do so.

I'll give credit where it's due-that Chicago defense is monstrous. But I watched LaFluer on a Tennessee team which was bottom 10 the previous year, lost it's top 2 receivers from the previous year, and there still isn't a visible difference in talent between the two.

The team clearly doesn't have a go-to RB. The TEs are slow as molasses and Graham is particularly becoming less useful. They have no receivers outside of Adams, particularly in the slot. It seems that we'll have an issue running the ball, which is not helped by the fact that there are no real receiving threats outside of Adams. MVS is good as a streak guy, but he's not a polished receiver and LaFluer nor Rodgers seem to be high on anyone else.

McCarthy deserves blame for many things, but it's clear that all of the offensive woes weren't on him. The talent just isn't there . Skill position talent acquisition must be the #1 priority this off-season, and I'm not even against trading for some help during the season, given how good the defense looks.
The offense did not play well. There are 4 reasons:

• They are not yet comfortable with new scheme

• They played against an amazing defense.

• They didnt play up to talent level

• They lack talent.

I put these in order of importance, IMHO. They will get better as the season goes on.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It like me and OP watched different games. Graham, MvS and Lewis all had decent games. Graham especially was up there stretching the D, TD catch...can't really fault him at all. We still haven't figured out our playing style leading to experimentation that made everyone look (and play) mediocre.

I'd predict Graham and MVS to have stellar seasons.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
MVS is going to make you eat those words.

Jimmy Graham isn't what he used to be, but I think he'll be useful in the redzone. And we have some interesting TE options that we'll be exploring in the coming weeks.

For what it's worth, Rodgers raved about the offseason Trevor Davis has had. I could see him being used in some speed packages and integrated a little bit more into what they're going to do.

Aaron Jones will thrive once the offensive line catches up to the new blocking scheme. We saw some flashes of it last night.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Jenkins in the near future. Lane Taylor's days are numbered.

The offensive line to me is more of a current concern than any skill positions.

However, I do agree that the Packers should (and will) come after making some hefty upgrades offensively in 2020. Had to get the defense sorted out first.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree Patriot with much of that.

I’ll give you there was risk addressing WR last year’s draft with 3 late picks, and not adding top talent at OT in this year’s draft. To me, we hit it big in UDFA with Nijman.

However, 2 of those 3 picks have developed nicely in MVS & ESB. Sadly we lost ESB for the year.

More UDFA gold was found by Gutes in Kumerow & Shepherd, and LaFleur has opened doors to a greatly developed Trevor Davis.

Aaron Jones had more ypc than any other RB in the NFL last season.

New system, facing a solid front 7, with our #1 OL going in stone cold without full game reps & stamina. Taylor, Linsley, Turner and Bulaga oftentimes looked like dog ****.

Rodgers was clearly off on his throws and his timing.

The O was going to start slow. Give them another 3-4 weeks before they start looking like a *****in’ Camaro. Patience.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give credit where it's due-that Chicago defense is monstrous.

It's like you wrote that but didn't actually mean it.

Also, offenses are ALWAYS behind defenses to start the year. Now, make that defense the Bears' defense and you can understand why the offense sputtered.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

• They lack talent.

I put these in order of importance, IMHO. They will get better as the season goes on.
I watched every MLF coached game last year, and he's great at making adjustments. But there was also a pretty noticeable gap in athleticism between the two teams. I just don't think the ceiling is high enough for an offense with Rodgers

Houston's defensive line is stout as well. Tennessee was missing their top 3 tackles and had Blaine Gabbert starting, yet they scored more points than GB did yesterday . That was the second game of the season. Let that sink in. The YAC ability of this team is nearly nonexistent for one with only 1 consistent passing threat and 1 running threat who is on the smaller side and injury prone.

Reaction score

• They lack talent.

In the meantime, we have to keep the defense off Rodgers.
He wouldn't last through the season getting sacked like that

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I watched every MLF coached game last year, and he's great at making adjustments. But there was also a pretty noticeable gap in athleticism between the two teams. I just don't think the ceiling is high enough for an offense with Rodgers

Houston's defensive line is stout as well. Tennessee was missing their top 3 tackles and had Blaine Gabbert starting, yet they scored more points than GB did yesterday . That was the second game of the season. Let that sink in. The YAC ability of this team is nearly nonexistent for one with only 1 consistent passing threat and 1 running threat who is on the smaller side and injury prone.
The second game of the season, meaning they had a full game, along with preseason reps together. This is the first time in live action we've seen the Packers offense.

And don't get me wrong. Houston is good defensively, but Chicago is just on another level.

I'm not overly encouraged with what I saw last night, but I'm not overly concerned either. We'll know more when September is over.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game against arguably the best defense in the league and you are comparing them to a totally different team in one game a year ago? How about giving it a chance? I know its always been difficult for you to come up with something positive to say and maybe its just a defense mechanism (don't get your hopes up and you can't be disappointed) but it always seems to be doom and gloom with you. Multiple people have given multiple legitimate reasons over multiple posts and threads as to why the offensive output last night may not have been what we would like it to be but all you can come up with is we don't have the talent. You had better take cover before you get hit with another piece of the sky.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This offense is going to need about a month before we decide if the issue is talent or getting comfortable with a new approach.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offense is going to need about a month before we decide if the issue is talent or getting comfortable with a new approach.

The internet doesn't have enough patience for the first drive, let alone a month.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talent is there on offense, but lane taylor was getting thrown around like a rag doll. Aaron was really rusty but he also needs to buy into the system. You can tell aaron still holding the ball to long waiting for them 15 plus routes to open up. As far as run game i think aaron jones did okay it was just the bears front 7 is the real deal. Give the Offense some time i think they will get it going.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In the first eight games under Petals as OC, the Titans' running backs ran the ball 183 times for 641 yards, which is a 3.5 YPC average. They only had one game in those first eight where the RB's averaged above 4.0 yards per carry.

In the last eight games, the same running backs ran the ball 191 times for 951 yards, which is a 5.0 YPC average. They had four games above 4.0 YPC, and three above 5.0.

Even if you eliminate the outlier (Henry went off for 9.3 YPC against the Jaguars), the 2nd half average was 4.3 YPC. Just to put that in perspective, last year 4.3 YPC for team rushing success was dead average (17th), while 3.5 (the first half rate) was worse than the worst in the league (the Cardinals at 3.8 were 32nd last year).

The point being that success in the rushing attack took time as the line and backs got used to the system and found their rhythm.

Hopefully Green Bay isn't floundering in futility for a full half season. Hopefully it catches on more quickly for the Packers. But I think we all need to expect an adjustment period.

H

HardRightEdge

• They lack talent.

You forgot one. I would put "Week 1 NFL football" at #2 behind playing against a top drawer defense.

These first few weeks are typically shabby affairs made worse this year with so few starter snaps in preseason. Practices with no tackling get you only so far. Tempo, timing and acclimating to the speed, contact and often chaos of real money games requires live play under those conditions.

Now, we may see a few offenses go off this week, but you can bet it's not going to happen against a top defense stacked with playmakers returning nearly all their players.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone honestly think that the offense would run on all cylinders in the first game this new system has been used? Not to mention playing against a defense that is damn good? I am very happy that the tight ends were a part of the game plan. It seems that hasn't been around for a while. I agree that AR sometimes holds the ball too long but we should know by now that he WILL NOT throw an INT. Winners last night were the D, J.K. Scott and special teams. I will take that every game cause the O just needs time and seasoning.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game against arguably the best defense in the league and you are comparing them to a totally different team in one game a year ago? How about giving it a chance? I know its always been difficult for you to come up with something positive to say and maybe its just a defense mechanism (don't get your hopes up and you can't be disappointed) but it always seems to be doom and gloom with you. Multiple people have given multiple legitimate reasons over multiple posts and threads as to why the offensive output last night may not have been what we would like it to be but all you can come up with is we don't have the talent. You had better take cover before you get hit with another piece of the sky.
Why does everyone have to take everything so personally? Simply look at what we've invested in the offense over the past few years and tell me how that would result in a talented offense. You guys are putting all of your faith in guys like Graham who know isn't very good,a thin RB group whose only proven and effective member is constantly injured, and a WR group with one proven commodity and really only one other guy who is basically still in the developmental phase. It's not a reach at all to suggest that the offense could absolutely stand to use more talent. You all did the same exact thing with McCarthy and Thompson, hoping for a miracle and that things would get better. How did that work out?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why does everyone have to take everything so personally? Simply look at what we've invested in the offense over the past few years and tell me how that would result in a talented offense. You guys are putting all of your faith in guys like Graham who know isn't very good,a thin RB group whose only proven and effective member is constantly injured, and a WR group with one proven commodity and really only one other guy who is basically still in the developmental phase. It's not a reach at all to suggest that the offense could absolutely stand to use more talent. You all did the same exact thing with McCarthy and Thompson, hoping for a miracle and that things would get better. How did that work out?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't take any of what you said personally. It's just premature. You may be right-- LaFleur might do a poor job with the offense, the talent might be inadequate, and we may have trouble scoring all season long. But that's a guess, even after week one. We don't really know anything substantive yet.

You're drawing conclusions about what they "clearly" don't have when you really don't know yet. You're not "suggesting" anything-- you're declaring what is and what is not.

That's totally fine, but you're obviously going to get called on it, because at this point you don't have a basis.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't going to take a miracle for this offense to be much better, not by a long shot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL offenses generally look rusty in the first couple weeks of the year yet fans seem to intentionally ignore this fact every year. The Packers just played what should be one of the best defenses in the league on the road. This is a ridiculous game to make any judgments on the offense as a whole.

H

HardRightEdge

Did anyone honestly think that the offense would run on all cylinders in the first game this new system has been used? Not to mention playing against a defense that is damn good? I am very happy that the tight ends were a part of the game plan. It seems that hasn't been around for a while. I agree that AR sometimes holds the ball too long but we should know by now that he WILL NOT throw an INT. Winners last night were the D, J.K. Scott and special teams. I will take that every game cause the O just needs time and seasoning.
The TE point is a good one. 10 targets, 6 catches, 72 yards, 1 TD.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the O looked exactly the way i expected them to be. rusty, confused, slow. oh...and it was the bears D for crying out loud. i'm sure there were lessons learned last night. we'll see. i think the RB's are fine.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the O looked exactly the way i expected them to be. rusty, confused, slow. oh...and it was the bears D for crying out loud. i'm sure there were lessons learned last night. we'll see. i think the RB's are fine.
I think the running game will have a bigger game next week against Minnesota. In turn that should open things up for the passing game. Unless Barr does another cheapshot I expect a decisive victory.

Members online

Latest posts