Votes: 10 58.8%
  • You ask too many questions

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Our offensive line was like playing on God Mode in our season opener. Seriously don't remember them all playing that well in the same game. We only gave up 2 sacks.. One was on Finley, the other was on Starks. Was Lang the missing link in the chain?

Will it continue? Was it a weak Saints defensive line? A fluke? What do you think?

Little side note, I'm thinking Bulaga has to be at the head of the line for LT spot when Clifton is gone right? Maybe Sherrod will win a RT spot? Is this the ideal situation?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Have to be a skeptic, they did do a great job seeing the Saints blitz packages, but its one game and they did great. Our blockers are the ones that need work.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to be a skeptic, they did do a great job seeing the Saints blitz packages, but its one game and they did great. Our blockers are the ones that need work.

Co-sign. 1 game. Lets see what happens when they are matched up with Peppers, Suh, and Allen.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I'm a believer because I witnessed it. They've set the bar high but now we know they can reach it. Granted, there was a lot of adrenalin that night, but for the cause and for what they're paid, they should be able to perform at that level through the season. Now it's expected and there's no reasonable excuse not to.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a skeptic for the same reason as everyone else. I am kind of mentally scarred from the 50+ sack years. That one sack being completely starks fault also isn't completely true. They should have recognized the pressure at the line of scrimmage and adjusted accordingly. There was no way he could both sell the play fake and make that block. As much as i wish he could be in two places at once.... he cant.

Dan DuBois

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a believer in the line. We are going to miss Brandon Jackson on third protection for the first half of the season this year. It will take Starks and Green a while to adjust.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With just one game to evaluate them, I’m a believer. Starks averaged 4.8 ypc and Grant, who doesn’t break tackles like Starks, averaged 4.4. They gained 103 yards rushing and didn’t allow a sack. How good was the competition? We probably won’t know for several games but their DC is very good. The title-winning OL returns intact except for Lang taking over for Colledge. As McGinn writes, Lang is “bigger, he’s meaner and he’s stronger” than Colledge and I agree. I think Colledge had his best season last year but IMO Lang was already a better run blocker and he has the tools to become as good as, or a better pass blocker. Lang did have a couple of false starts – that can’t be a trend – but other than that I thought he played well. On Starks’ 17-yard TD run he got to the second level and blocked a LB and that wasn’t the only time. Wells played great down the stretch last season and picked up where he left off. Watch Starks’ TD again: Wells’ job was to “reach block” the DT: The DT lined up on Wells’ left shoulder and the play was going left. That’s a very tough block but Wells has the quickness to get it done. On Kuhn’s 1-yard TD, Wells blocked Shaun Rogers to his backside. Ideally you’d like the OC to be stouter vs. a bull rush but Wells is a good “QB” of the OL and is playing his best football.

Bulaga is already good and he should continue to get better and Sitton is IMO the best OL they have and should make the pro bowl. My only question regarding the OL is depth. Clifton did well Thursday – I think he allowed only one pressure - and he was fantastic during the late season run last year. But time will catch up to him eventually and injuries can strike any player anytime. I think/hope the Packers will have a replacement ready to step in for Clifton by the start of next season, but I’m concerned about this season. Early this season it looks like Newhouse would step in for either OT (and perhaps one of the OGs) and Dietrich-Smith fills in at OG and C. Newhouse’s progress this year was a pleasant surprise, but you’d like to have a better option backing up inside.

To me the ideal player to replace Clifton is Sherrod. His arms are longer and his hands are bigger than Bulaga’s and I think he’s a little more athletic – his feet are a little better for LT. I think the staff screwed Sherrod up by having him play LG. He’s just not built to be an OG IMO. I understand they want O linemen to be versatile, but with no OTAs or minicamps IMO a better plan would have been to have him concentrate solely on LT with the idea that he’d be inactive on game days until he got LT down well enough. Then see if he could handle RT or LG as a backup. In any event he would have been more prepared to take over for Clifton the game after he got hurt than he is now - that is if he were better than Newhouse at LT at the time.

In addition to having a LT’s build, Sherrod is smart and I believe motivated so I’m expecting him to be ready to start at LT next year (but I wouldn’t replace Clifton until his performance slips). When Clifton is done, I’m hoping Sherrod – Lang – Wells – Sitton – Bulaga is the next starting OL for the Packers, with Newhouse backing up both OTs. Thompson can concentrate on adding interior OL talent next off season. I don’t think Dietrich-Smith or McDonald are the long-term answers.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ask too many questions! LOL, you asked for that one! I would hold myself in the believer in the line. I believed in them all through last year, why the hell would I stop now? This team has something and it's not just to O-Line. If you are projecting our season based on game 1, it should make you very happy but doubtful if you must be so. The Saints don't have a bad defense, our offense was just on fire Thursday night. We were the better team Thursday night. Here is another thing to think of, some consider the Saints to be the #2 ranked team in the NFC with us #1. You saw how the Packers took apart the Saints. If that is even remotely true, than we are in for one hell of a good season.Can you name any other team's defense (aside from our own, LOL) that can match up with that O-Line. Aaron at the helm, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Starks, Grant, Kuhn, Finley (Saints had no answer to him and no way of defending aginst him). Name a team that can match them. I have to say it and I can't say it enough, The Packers impressed the hell out of me Thursday night. They actually played beyond my expectations. I have to believe in them because they haven't really given me a reason not to. I love this team, they are family to me, therefore my love, faith and belief is unconditional. I think after last year and everything we all went through, asking questions and raising doubt is the last thing we should be doing.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I used to have a T-shirt that was my favorite. It said, "I'd like to be an optimist, but I don't think it would work out." I'm inclined to be pessimistic, but I am optimistic. I don't think we are going to face that many defenses that are that much better than NO and having performed admirably against them I have reason to hope (as do we all I think).

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The Saints have a great defense when it comes to blitzing. Just like Philly, they blitz A LOT and it leaves open holes all over the field like Thursday night.

Our O-Line did great against them, I am a believer.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big believer. BIG.

I'm predicting greatness for this offense, and the OL will be integral to that success.

Only can go as far as the O line will take them.

It will be interesting to see if Clifton will make it through the season. Sherrod better be busting his *ss in practice

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Scott Wells and Bryan Bulaga have their best years of their career. With Sitton maintaining his nasty streak at RG all we need is for TJ Lang to plug a hole and not ruin many drives with stupid penalties and this OL will be in great shape

Reaction score
Im sorta a believer. I believe are offensive line will be good but not great. They will struggle with the good pass rushing team/ good d lines like any other team. We have some good offensive line men in Wells/Sittion. Clifton is a sturdy veteran who will struggle with the elites ( Dwight Freeney). TJ Lang i don't know and Bulaga looks solid. Plus we have rodgers with a super fast release and great play recognition to adjust the line to block. We look very solid upfront but time will tell

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Believer. It's hard to not believe with what we all saw. Depth is obviously a concern but until someone is hurt I think they will hold their own against most D's.
Chicago and Detroit will be the next measure.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only can go as far as the O line will take them.

It will be interesting to see if Clifton will make it through the season. Sherrod better be busting his *ss in practice
The OL doesn't need to dominate for this offense to work well, I don't think.

But it was domination what they did against Aubrayo Franklin, Shaun Rogers and co. If they can repeat this against the Bears, it'll be a walk in the park. But with Peppers on the other side, it's a much thougher proposition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts