Offensive Line Deserve Recognition Against 49ers...Nearly All "rookies"

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner seems to have turned into a really good R tackle. Don't know what his overall hit is but saving $3.18 million would not be worth moving on. Just keep him there. At R tackle. Not good on the other side.
Turner's '22 cap hit is $8.99Mil. Release him after '21 & there's $5.88Mil dead money, save $3.18Mil. UNLESS there's a major injury or serious decline this season his $9Mil cap # ranks him as 15th highest paid RT. I don't think there's any reason, right now, to consider jettisoning him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner's '22 cap hit is $8.99Mil. Release him after '21 & there's $5.88Mil dead money, save $3.18Mil. UNLESS there's a major injury or serious decline this season his $9Mil cap # ranks him as 15th highest paid RT. I don't think there's any reason, right now, to consider jettisoning him.

There is over $50 Million reasons why. I'm not stating this as support for it or wanting it, but folks strap in we don't even have 40 players signed and are projected to need to cut over $50 million just to legally have a team.

ZaDarius is as good as gone...Preston may need to be as well or extended...this is all before even attempting to somehow resign Davante or MVS or Tonyan....or perhaps attempting to extend Jaire before he puts another insanely excellent season under him in 2022 - whose cap hit explodes from under $4M this year to over $13M in 2022...long term deal with him could assist the 2022 cap number and push more into future.

I see some uncomfortable cuts in our future for sure.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the correct thread for this but want to "answer" Tyni's post on '22...
Cut/Trade the following - cap savings:
AR - $19.297Mil
Z. Smith - $15.75Mil
P. Smith - $12.5Mil
Lowry - $3.934Mil
Turner - $3.18Mil -- Total cap saved = $61.519Mil Cap Savings

Need to re-sign UFA's: MVS, Tonyan, Campbell, Bojorquez, D. Adams. All may chase the $$ elsewhere if AR's gone.
Need to re-sign RFA/ERFA's: Lazard, Nijman, Barnes, Ramsey
Extend Alexander for possible '22 cap savings.

Turn the team over to Love for the next 12-15 years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Not the correct thread for this but want to "answer" Tyni's post on '22...
Cut/Trade the following - cap savings:
AR - $19.297Mil
Z. Smith - $15.75Mil
P. Smith - $12.5Mil
Lowry - $3.934Mil
Turner - $3.18Mil -- Total cap saved = $61.519Mil Cap Savings

Need to re-sign UFA's: MVS, Tonyan, Campbell, Bojorquez, D. Adams. All may chase the $$ elsewhere if AR's gone.
Need to re-sign RFA/ERFA's: Lazard, Nijman, Barnes, Ramsey
Extend Alexander for possible '22 cap savings.

Turn the team over to Love for the next 12-15 years.

While that sounds pretty easy the team would definitely struggle next season by moving on from the players you mentioned.

In addition it would make it extremely tough for Love to succeed. Even if he has the talent to develop into a franchise quarterback, something that is a huge question mark at this point.

With the discussion having starter with Turner I rather have the Packers move on from him to save some cap space. In addition Lowry, Cobb and Lewis are all but guaranteed to not be with the team in 2022, saving a total of $16.4 million of cap sapce.

In addition I fully expect some massive restructured to be done to get under the cap (possibly Rodgers, Z. Smith, P. Smith and Alexander).

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the discussion having starter with Turner I rather have the Packers move on from him to save some cap space.
If Turner plays well all season; I can't see moving from him. R tackles are becoming more important all the time. New Orleans main guy rushes against him and there are a lot of really good pash rushers from that side. You need two good tackles these days imo. Not worth it to try someone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Turner plays well all season; I can't see moving from him. R tackles are becoming more important all the time. New Orleans main guy rushes against him and there are a lot of really good pash rushers from that side. You need two good tackles these days imo. Not worth it to try someone else.

Don't get me wrong, if the Packers wouldn't have any issues with the cap for next season I would be in favor of holding on to Turner. They will have to let some decent players walk away to get under the cap though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, if the Packers wouldn't have any issues with the cap for next season I would be in favor of holding on to Turner. They will have to let some decent players walk away to get under the cap though.

Very much so and I’m prepared for so many here it misconstrue a post about we should cut “say players name” to mean “I think this guy sucks”.

I am betting we have to cut two or more 2021 full time starters on both sides of the ball to make cap work…and most likely that alone won’t do it and more will happen and/or massive restructures.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that next years roster is going to look quite different from this years. I'm looking forward to it actually. I wouldn't mind at all if next years team is without some players that we have grown used to seeing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree and offensive line appears to be a position where we have the greatest depth and versatility on the roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and offensive line appears to be a position where we have the greatest depth and versatility on the roster.

It is typically also where a band aid fix like Veldheer or Kelly types can be found if needed

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will probably be hard choices. Just see R tackle as too important. Or are we just throwing names out there? It is not really a comprehensive look at the situation. Which may be impossible at this point in time anyway. We just came off a game with Tampa Bay where our OTs were a main reason for the loss. And then KC lost the super bowl due to lack of OTs. Not to mention I don't think, because of these facts, that we can actually say our O line depth is really great or that we don't need to worry because our line coach can make miracles.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's safe to say that next years roster is going to look quite different from this years. I'm looking forward to it actually. I wouldn't mind at all if next years team is without some players that we have grown used to seeing.

You have to be aware it could very well result in the team not being a contender anymore as well though.

In addition it's one of the positions a rookie is able to contribute immediately.

There will probably be hard choices. Just see R tackle as too important. Or are we just throwing names out there? It is not really a comprehensive look at the situation. Which may be impossible at this point in time anyway. We just came off a game with Tampa Bay where our OTs were a main reason for the loss. And then KC lost the super bowl due to lack of OTs. Not to mention I don't think, because of these facts, that we can actually say our O line depth is really great or that we don't need to worry because our line coach can make miracles.

I agree it's important to have a decent right tackle but unfortunately the Packers will have to move on from some players next offseason and I would prefer them to lose Turner instead of another one at a more premium positions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it's important to have a decent right tackle but unfortunately the Packers will have to move on from some players next offseason and I would prefer them to lose Turner instead of another one at a more premium positions.
I consider R tackle a premium position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to be aware it could very well result in the team not being a contender anymore as well though.

In addition it's one of the positions a rookie is able to contribute immediately.

Not sure how that happened but for the record it quoted me but I didn’t say that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Doesn't change what I posted. I saw Rodgers first year as a starter that was a 6-10 season. The change has to take place at some point. I'm fine with it being next year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Another really good performance by our offensive line today against the Steelers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know who won the toss but we should take the ball every time if we can

D

Deleted member 6794

I consider R tackle a premium position.

In my opinion it's definitely not as important as quarterback, left tackle, #1 receiver, edge rusher and #1 cornerback. The Packers are in danger of having to replace all of those guys if they aren't able to create cap space any other way.

Not sure how that happened but for the record it quoted me but I didn’t say that.

The handling of quoting other posters is atrocious since the new design was implemented. I'm sorry for that.

Doesn't change what I posted. I saw Rodgers first year as a starter that was a 6-10 season. The change has to take place at some point. I'm fine with it being next year.

I would rather prefer the Packers to hold on to Rodgers as long as possible as there's no guarantee Love is an NFL caliber quarterback.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion it's definitely not as important as quarterback, left tackle, #1 receiver, edge rusher and #1 cornerback. The Packers are in danger of having to replace all of those guys if they aren't able to create cap space any other way.

The handling of quoting other posters is atrocious since the new design was implemented. I'm sorry for that.

I would rather prefer the Packers to hold on to Rodgers as long as possible as there's no guarantee Love is an NFL caliber quarterback.
Possibly the intent? :)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If we avoid losing Stenavich to an OC opening I'd feel comfortable moving on from Turner. Give him a full offseason to coach up the replacement and I doubt we see any drop off at all.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts