Offensive Line Deserve Recognition Against 49ers...Nearly All "rookies"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers game saw us enter the game with a starting offensive line that across all FIVE spots had 62 NFL starts in regular season games; 57 of those were Billy Turner.

Runyon had 1 previous and Newman/Myers both chipped in two each - Nijman had zero.

Folks I'm sorry, but the way that line held together and the playcalling for quick throws helped mightedly; however this OL group, Stenavich, Gute and draft scouts made this Packer fan so incredibly proud.

Essentially four "rookies" started against a very strong front and survived - Nijman is NOT a LT that can start regularly (he actually graded out terribly), but it was clear he was NOT going to lose plays because of lack of effort.

Such an incredible moment to watch an UDFA find, 4th rounder, 6th rounder and 2nd rounder come through on one of the biggest stages!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree! The 9'ers Defensive front is a top-10 group (maybe top-5?) and this line was nothing short of superb considering their youth & lack of experience. AR usually had enough time to make the throws he wanted. This group also opened decent holes for Jones & Dillon to make positive yardage & keep the 9'ers DL honest. Was a great Defensive effort overcoming the 9'ers AND referees but it all started with this OL keeping AR upright and moving the offense.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I renew my assertion from last year, that Adam Stenovich is the best assistant coach that we've had in a long time. He continually gets his players ready no matter the circumstances. Certainly the players themselves deserve the bulk of the praise, but Stenovich seems to be the constant when all of these backups come in and perform like pros.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I renew my assertion from last year, that Adam Stenovich is the best assistant coach that we've had in a long time. He continually gets his players ready no matter the circumstances. Certainly the players themselves deserve the bulk of the praise, but Stenovich seems to be the constant when all of these backups come in and perform like pros.

Stenovich one hundred percent has done excellent. The scouts finding these OL on Day 2, 3 and UDFA also. MLF and Rodgers called some excellent plays as well for quick hits.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to the O line for sure. Some have mentioned getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Even on some of those deep throws the ball came out pretty fast. He needed a bit of time on the final 37 seconds though and they were up to it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to the O line for sure. Some have mentioned getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Even on some of those deep throws the ball came out pretty fast. He needed a bit of time on the final 37 seconds though and they were up to it.

It was actually one of Rodgers' quickest to throw games in his career of late. That definitely helped and was clearly part of the playcalling to assist the OL as much as possible.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree. The first long pass that connected with Lazard as exhibit A. Went for 40 yards and was a perfect throw and catch. Lazard has a habit of surprising CB's by getting behind them deep. He and Scantling continue to be a great secondary complement to Adams and both are very good blockers for Adams and Jones.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should continue to get that ball out of there fast even after Jenkins and Bak return.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was everyone last night. The oline did what they had to do. The play calling helped them out. Rodgers helped them by staying on time. Receivers helped by getting separation so the timing could happen. Well mixed game plan. And when they had to hold up, they did. The defense helped by forcing punts instead of long drive after long drive.

We never put them in a position to be down by 14 points and playing catch up with a Defense that couldn't stop anybody. I really didn't want to see them tee'ing off on the QB every play and we never put ourselves in that position. Everybody contributed, just like it should be.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think this game illustrated the future middle three for the post-Bahk era - Jenkins will be the LT of the future after he is gone.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think this game illustrated the future middle three for the post-Bahk era - Jenkins will be the LT of the future after he is gone.

Seems more likely that Turner is gone (not re-signed or cap casualty cut) and Jenkins moves to RT. Unless he falls off a cliff, Bhak has 4 more full years on his deal. (22, 23, 24).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems more likely that Turner is gone (not re-signed or cap casualty cut) and Jenkins moves to RT. Unless he falls off a cliff, Bhak has 4 more full years on his deal. (22, 23, 24).

I don’t think Bahk sees the end of that contract personally. Age will catch up with him, just a matter of when and how awesome he is when back from this injury.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-line was absolutely phenomenal like you mentioned. Especially got to hand it to Nijman. According to PFF, he didn’t allow a single pressure in 38 pass blocking sets.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Credit to the OL for executing, but the bigger credit goes to the gameplan for scheming the ball out fast and Rodgers for executing it. I can see several instances in my mind right now when Nijman got toasted and it just didn't matter. Go back and look at Bosa on that early completion to Lazard.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Credit to the OL for executing, but the bigger credit goes to the gameplan for scheming the ball out fast and Rodgers for executing it. I can see several instances in my mind right now when Nijman got toasted and it just didn't matter. Go back and look at Bosa on that early completion to Lazard.

Yup, honest to God I think Nijman's plan was to merely accomplish diverting Bosa not beating him, which most of the night was all he needed to do.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Bahk sees the end of that contract personally. Age will catch up with him, just a matter of when and how awesome he is when back from this injury.

Perhaps, but Turner is the same age as Bhak and his contract runs out first. Though I believe that Turner's dead-cap is $1M less than his cap number, so he's likely to stick around next year. Then not re-signed for 2023 and Jenkins moves to RT.

Past that, yeah, he could come back to LT, but I suspect not until 2024 at the earliest. I'd rather not play games at both tackle positions the same year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I highly doubt he falls apart before the end of the deal. It only has him through his age 33 season. Look at some of the guys out there still starting, many at a high level:

Trent Williams (33)
Andrew Whitworth (39)
Jason Peters (39)
Duane Brown (36)
Tyron Smith (30)

Tackle is one spot where the greats consistently play at a high level well into their 30's.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt he falls apart before the end of the deal. It only has him through his age 33 season. Look at some of the guys out there still starting, many at a high level:

Trent Williams (33)
Andrew Whitworth (39)
Jason Peters (39)
Duane Brown (36)
Tyron Smith (30)

Tackle is one spot where the greats consistently play at a high level well into their 30's.

I do place the odds in his favor just given the fact he for most part has had good health. I will say though if it ever comes to the point of choosing future OL vs keeping him in say his final year (when it is rather friendly to release or trade) I would direct attention elsewhere as hard as that is for me to type.

Here's to hoping that becomes an issue, cuz dang that is a good one to have!

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps, but Turner is the same age as Bhak and his contract runs out first. Though I believe that Turner's dead-cap is $1M less than his cap number, so he's likely to stick around next year.

FWIW the Packers would save $3.18 million of cap space by moving on from Turner after this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW the Packers would save $3.18 million of cap space by moving on from Turner after this season.
Turner seems to have turned into a really good R tackle. Don't know what his overall hit is but saving $3.18 million would not be worth moving on. Just keep him there. At R tackle. Not good on the other side.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner seems to have turned into a really good R tackle. Don't know what his overall hit is but saving $3.18 million would not be worth moving on. Just keep him there. At R tackle. Not good on the other side.

We will have to slice over or right around $50 Million to even be allowed to have a team next year and that is with just 37 players signed...before adding anyone.

Members online

Latest posts