Offensive line rankings

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that is surprising. The key is Newhouse. All of the others I am very comfortable with...

Yep if he continue his progress we will have an "elite" type offensive line. BUT right now I cannot honestly say that I agree with that number 1 ranking. In my mind the number 1 offensive line is blowing open holes and keeping #12's jersey clean. And there have been more than a few games where they have produced neither. Idk maybe I dont pay attention to them enough to really understand how good they are but I know I remember them getting dominated a few times last year, and personally I blame the pressure they allowed on Rodgers against the Chiefs for the one loss on the year in the regular season.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
New Orleans, New England, Tennessee and Houston all have far better lines than us

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can’t think of a measure by which I’d rank the Packers’ OL as #1 in the league. While I do believe their OL from LG to RT is as solid as solid can be, the most important spot on the OL, particularly for a team that emphasizes the passing game as heavily as the Packers do, is LT. Again I’ll quote what McGinn wrote at the end of the season about Newhouse. And I do so not only because I respect McGinn a great deal but because it describes what I saw as well.
The numbers weren't pretty. The 10½ sacks allowed by Newhouse were part of his total of 41½ pressures, twice as many as anyone else and more than any Packers O-lineman has had in the last 13 years. He also gave up the second-most bad runs with 14½.

He didn’t start all the games yet allowed twice as many pressures as anyone else and more than any Packers OL since the late 1990s. Like McGinn I think Newhouse is smart and has good feet, but he has to improve significantly to solidify the OL and rank it in the top 10 in the league (let alone #1). I think Newhouse has a good chance to make strides because although he was on the team in 2010, last season was the first one in which he played. Of course I’d love for the author to be right and I understand he is looking forward but even so, the question mark at LT is too big for me to come close to agreeing with him.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You don't make 15-1 with a crappy O line. Newhouse was showing improvement and will have a full off season. Saturday is going to make a big difference IMO. with his leadership I see the O line being solid. If they can give ARod, Brady time, holly Sh.., could you imagine!

Come on Marshal.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't make 15-1 with a crappy O line. Newhouse was showing improvement and will have a full off season. Saturday is going to make a big difference IMO. with his leadership I see the O line being solid. If they can give ARod, Brady time, holly Sh.., could you imagine!

Come on Marshal.

You think Saturday is an upgrade?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You think Saturday is an upgrade?
I think Saturdays Experience And leadership is an upgrade. He will push that O line and has the credentials to have the respect of all the young linemen. He is one of the best in the business and still has it. He's not our long term solution but I think he's not a downgrade while we get our next center ready.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Saturdays Experience And leadership is an upgrade. He will push that O line and has the credentials to have the respect of all the young linemen. He is one of the best in the business and still has it. He's not our long term solution but I think he's not a downgrade while we get our next center ready.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. I wouldn't say he is an upgrade in general but he is definitely not a downgrade.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
After saying you couldn’t have said it much better, I think you did slaughter25. IMO the signing of Saturday solidified the position for this season. But I don’t think Saturday will be more respected by the O linemen (or less) and I don’t think he’ll be able to push them more than Wells. Re-signing Wells would have been preferable IMO only because it would have solved the position for longer than one or at most two seasons. But Wells wanted to leave because he apparently felt disrespected in Green Bay for some time now. And with several core players on the roster in need of contract extensions, they couldn’t afford to spend a lot of money and cap space on Wells. The biggest question IMO regarding the position is, is the center of the future on the roster now?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After saying you couldn’t have said it much better, I think you did slaughter25. IMO the signing of Saturday solidified the position for this season. But I don’t think Saturday will be more respected by the O linemen (or less) and I don’t think he’ll be able to push them more than Wells. Re-signing Wells would have been preferable IMO only because it would have solved the position for longer than one or at most two seasons. But Wells wanted to leave because he apparently felt disrespected in Green Bay for some time now. And with several core players on the roster in need of contract extensions, they couldn’t afford to spend a lot of money and cap space on Wells. The biggest question IMO regarding the position is, is the center of the future on the roster now?

I know the team likes the center they had on the practice squad last year

Members online

Latest posts