NT prospects.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So there's a few really **** names that will go in the first round, but I just started digging into the nose tackle prospects. There seems to be a lot of guys at or above the 6'2" 320 lb range that can bench over 30 reps. That seems like a lot of potential to anchor a 3-4 defense. Let's be honest, these guys don't have to be the best athletes in that position, just bullies.

A few guys that stand out to me are Tyeler Davidson from Fresno, Deon Simon from North Western, Gabe Wright from Auburn, David Parry from Stanford, and Derrick Lott.

Obviously, these are all names to look for once Malcom Brown, Carl Davis, Eddie Goldman, Ellis McCarthy, and Danny Shelton are off the board.

One player I really don't want to see drafted is Jordan Phillips. This is obviously within reason, but the guy just seems lazy and gets stood up way too often.

D

Deleted member 6794

So there's a few really **** names that will go in the first round, but I just started digging into the nose tackle prospects. There seems to be a lot of guys at or above the 6'2" 320 lb range that can bench over 30 reps. That seems like a lot of potential to anchor a 3-4 defense. Let's be honest, these guys don't have to be the best athletes in that position, just bullies.

A few guys that stand out to me are Tyeler Davidson from Fresno, Deon Simon from North Western, Gabe Wright from Auburn, David Parry from Stanford, and Derrick Lott.

Obviously, these are all names to look for once Malcom Brown, Carl Davis, Eddie Goldman, Ellis McCarthy, and Danny Shelton are off the board.

One player I really don't want to see drafted is Jordan Phillips. This is obviously within reason, but the guy just seems lazy and gets stood up way too often.

I don´t get the love from some on the forum for Ellis McCarthy. Aside of his size there´s nothing I´m intrigued by. In addition the only guy you mentioned who weight in at more than 320 pounds at the combine is Deon Simon (321) and to put it polite I´m not impressed by him at all.

I´d rather have the Packers spend an early round pick on a NT.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t get the love from some on the forum for Ellis McCarthy. Aside of his size there´s nothing I´m intrigued by. In addition the only guy you mentioned who weight in at more than 320 pounds at the combine is Deon Simon (321) and to put it polite I´m not impressed by him at all.

I´d rather have the Packers spend an early round pick on a NT.

I'd love to spend an early pick on a NT, but last time we did we ended up with Raji. Not that he's terrible, but everyone basically pinned him as a dominant run stuffer and I just don't see it. Ideally, We could get someone like Goldman or Davis. They are the ones most likely to last until #30 and I think they'll be great anchors in the NFL. Out of the two I'd rather have Goldman because there aren't as many character issues, but Davis could be a violent player if he doesn't slack off.

I can't find any highlights as to McCarthy so I can't say what they are seeing. As for these guys, I was basically looking at measurable strength and size. Granted a few could add a few pounds, but I don't think that's impossible. I'm looking for steals in the mid to late rounds that could be used in a rotation.

H

HardRightEdge

I like Goldman better than Phillips. In fact, I like Goldman quite a bit. If Thomson brings in a quality FA ILB or if Hendricks is off the board, I wouldn't mind seeing Goldman at #30.

He's a run stuffer, plain and simple. The only reason he's graded lower 1st. to upper 2nd. is his lack of pass rush burst and moves. But I see second effort sacks on tape...when the QB goes over 2.5, he better not step up in the pocket against this guy. He's the kind of guy who would make the ILBs jobs easier. ;)

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Goldman better than Phillips. In fact, I like Goldman quite a bit. If Thomson brings in a quality FA ILB or if Hendricks is off the board, I wouldn't mind seeing Goldman at #30.

He's a run stuffer, plain and simple. The only reason he's graded lower 1st. to upper 2nd. is his lack of pass rush burst and moves. But I see second effort sacks on tape...when the QB goes over 2.5, he better not step up in the pocket against this guy. He's the kind of guy who would make the ILBs jobs easier. ;)

100% agree. I think realistically he's my favorite NT prospect. I say that because I don't see us getting someone like Shelton or Brown.

D

Deleted member 6794

After taking another look at the NT prospects in this year´s draft there´s not going to be a lot of depth at the position after the first round. At the time the Packers pick it´s probable only Goldman and Davis will still be on the board.

With ILB being another position in dire need of an upgrade in the first round Thompson should address one of them via free agency.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can sign Dan Williams in free agency to man the nose and then focus on ILB
With our first pick in the draft. If he is not available, then hopefully we can bring back both
Raji and Guion or Ngata, if the Ravens cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping we can sign Dan Williams in free agency to man the nose and then focus on ILB
With our first pick in the draft. If he is not available, then hopefully we can bring back both
Raji and Guion or Ngata, if the Ravens cut him.

Once again, Williams would be a nice addition at NT but he´ll demand a huge contract. I don´t expect Thompson to spend big in free agency every single season.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, I read that $5 million per year maybe enough to sign Williams. However, I see
The Cards cut Darnell Docket today so that is probably a sign that they resign
Williams. Also, FWIW, I see the Packers are interested in resigning Raji.

I'm hoping Goldman is our first round pick, if not Kendricks, and then we go ILB in
Round two and bring in an affordable FA vet.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, I read that $5 million per year maybe enough to sign Williams. However, I see
The Cards cut Darnell Docket today so that is probably a sign that they resign
Williams. Also, FWIW, I see the Packers are interested in resigning Raji.

I'm hoping Goldman is our first round pick, if not Kendricks, and then we go ILB in
Round two and bring in an affordable FA vet.

Ya I don't think we go after Williams. I'd love Goldman, but not too many people have him lasting that long. :(

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically, the way the draft generally falls, dline guys go more quickly than most project. Only so many guys have the size/athleticism/skill to play dline.

H

HardRightEdge

Basically, the way the draft generally falls, dline guys go more quickly than most project. Only so many guys have the size/athleticism/skill to play dline.
The other problem in the first round is a dearth of prototype 3-4 DEs. Teams looking to upgrade their line might go for the NT given the DE options. And like you say, athletic big men are at a premium. The thing about Goldman is he's not projected as a productive pass rusher; I'd be OK with that (because I think he's a little underrated in that regard) but many don't think that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other problem in the first round is a dearth of prototype 3-4 DEs. Teams looking to upgrade their line might go for the NT given the DE options. And like you say, athletic big men are at a premium. The thing about Goldman is he's not projected as productive pass rusher; I'd be OK with that (because I think he's a little underrated in that regard) but many don't think that way.

I'd be ecstatic with Goldman even if he turns out to be a poor pass rusher just so long as he can anchor on the line. Packers have lacked a true run-stuffing NT in the 3-4 for pretty much the entire time they've played it. Having a NT than can just hold his ground against two oline players would make our ILB group sooooooo much better. OLBs and ends can rush the passer on the first two downs.

Members online

Latest posts