Now What do the Packers do?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Ted Thompson is continuously praised here for taking the best player available.

So why now am I hearing all this stuff about how Brett's retirement impacted our draft strategy? We aren't switching our offense so we still want the same type of players.

Nelson was an obscure player whom Thompson obviously rated higher than other franchises.

Brohm was a value pick that we would have done anyway. Why not? Wolf would have, and TT is in his mold.

At most you're saying we wouldn't have taken Flynn because that would have given us too many QBs, and even that is far from certain. So at the most you're saying we spent a late rounder on a developmental QB, which we may have done anyway for the practice squad.

It's not that easy of a decision. Favre is a 38 year old veteran. Rodgers is 24 or 25. Ted Thompson has always leaned towards youth so of course Rodgers probably fits into his image of the team more than Favre right now. Then again that's just speculation. I don't know.

You have to look at it from both perspectives. Nobody can blame Favre for wanting to play. He'll always want to play. Favre might of made a decision a little early and acted on emotions instead of taking his time and thinking things through. We've all done that. People telling him to shut up and stay retire need to remember it's his life.

However, Ted Thompson has built this team. He's the executive of the year and he's the guy in charge. If Ted Thompson truly believes that Aaron Rodgers is going to be the next great QB in this league and a lot of insiders say he does, then taking Favre back isn't a sure thing.

Disagree with Thompson on Rodgers but remember that Thompson has done a great job so far. Either way if these rumors are true then your looking at the make or break move of his career. This is one tough decision but I'm just going with the benefit of the doubt on this one. Not much else you can do.

Irony here is PFT brought up that if the Packers bring back Favre then maybe Jason Taylor is in play once again. If that's the case then I think that adds a little more to this decision.

and thats the reason you have the Lombardi Award.

and i hope you don't think im telling Favre to shut up and stay retired. I am simply in the nicest way asking him to respect his legacy, respect the Packers and to respect and honor his own words. I just hope he does the right thing.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has the choice to change their minds. That said, when you make a decision that affects others, they might not allow your changing your mind to make them change their minds too. If you are standing on a bridge and decide to jump off, you can change your mind half way down, but you have set things into motion that might not be so easy to change.

Now, that said, i'd love to see him play more. Thats the greediness in me. I NEVER wanted him to quit. He said in his retirement conference that no one forced him out, he said it was totally his decision. Now we hear from his Mom that that isn't so. Who do we believe? Do you think his Mom is lying? I don't. Why would she say that stuff if it wasn't true? And then why would Favre deny it? Of course i don't know, but letting his Mom "spill the beans" so to speak, he doesn't have to feel he has slandered the Packer organization. Any way you look at it, it's messed up.
If the finger of guilt is pointed at Ted Thompson, no matter WHAT he does, no matter HOW good of talent he has brought here, he will be hated as the man that "forced" Favre to retire. Even if it's not true, thats how TT haters or Favre-firsters will see it. To me, thats not fair to TT. He's trying to build a long term winning team here, and save the salary cap from long term damage. Now, no matter what he does, he's screwed. He was told Favre retired. Now if he doesn't let him come back, he's the bad guy. And even if he DOES say "Yes Brett, you can come back" and Favre decides to say "I changed my mind again, i'm gonna stay retired" you KNOW people will say it's TT's fault Favre stayed retired. What if he allows Favre to come back, and Favre has lost "it?" The last few years, Favre has worked like a mad man off season so that he would be 100% ready for the season. Sounds like he hasn't done that this off season. Would he be able to last the season?
Lots of questions, not many answers.
One thing i noticed, Favre used to be almost unstopable in cold weather games. Last year it was the opposite. The Bears game and NFC title game he wasn't in his top form. Was that just a freak thing? Maybe, as the whole team pretty much stunk it up. I think his supporting cast would be even better this year then last, so maybe the whole cold weather thing last year was just a fluke.
Part of me wants him to come back and win another Super Bowl or 2. To go out REALLY on top would be great for him, AND for us.
I just don't know what to think with this whole messed up situation.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
welcome back Brett Fave number 4. Rodgers please have a seat at the mean time...your number will be call in 2 years from now.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL_GEEK said:
welcome back Brett Fave number 4. Rodgers please have a seat at the mean time...your number will be call in 2 years from now.

Yep, If it happens A-Rod can use this time to hone his skills, continue to workout to strengthen his body, and learn from the best.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then Rodgers will go play for someone else. I guarentee he won't stick around if Brett comes back.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Favre might of made a decision a little early and acted on emotions instead of taking his time and thinking things through. We've all done that.

I think ( okay, I am 99% sure ) Brett was told to make a decision when he did, and was not given more time to think it over..

;)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, no team staff can let such an important decision hang out there unanswered. MM & TT knew that if Favre really meant what he said re retirement, they'd be forced to draft differently, plan installs differently, figure out Rodgers' skills and plan to play to his strengths. These are not simple things to work out. They couldn't afford to lose a day. The worst thing they could have done was to give Favre all the time he wants to "really, really" make up his mind. The off-season seems long to fans but I'm sure the staff would like it to be longer for planning purposes.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron isn't obviously going to want out if Brett comes back.

He has two years on his contract. If he doesn't agree to extension terms we can franchise him the third year and then give him an even bigger offer.

Don't assume he's going to demand a trade or threaten to retire or refuse to resign if Brett comes back.

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Pack93z said:
Favre after 17 years deserves the right to try and earn the starting slot.. IMO.

does Arod have to wait 17 years on the bench before he deserves his spot? :D

After 17 years as the starter AND a very good year last year, Favre deserves to enter camp as the starter.

If Arod can't prove he is better than the starter after 17yrs then yes, he deserves the bench.

Yes! Finally! Someone who agrees with me. After 17 years, Favre did earn the spot as the starter. Arod, rose to occasions in some games (for the short while Favre was hurt) and he did okay. But he got hurt a lot and he is no Favre.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I only see two options IF it goes this far.

Trade Aaron Rodgers and let Favre play and develop Brian Brohm.

Trade Favre and let Aaron Rodgers play.

I really don't think it's going to come to this. I think Favre is retired. Of course he's going to get the itch to play again. Dan Marino almost played for the Vikings. Troy Aikman said he was all set to return to football if the other team went through with it but they backed out. Mooch said Young wanted to keep playing.

My point is

Like all those guys, Favre will want to play again but like all those guys, Favre will stay retired.

Troy and Steve were basically physically unable to play anymore, as was Danny..

BIG DIFFERENCE

It might get ugly REAL FAST ;)

Yup got ugly

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts