Nolan to the Packers

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that too..now what happens to half of the guys that don't fit into his scheme. Mainly Kampman and probably Harris unless you can teach an old dog to play zone. I also remember him playing that "Big Nickel" garbage essentially a 4-2-5 (3 safeties). Not exactly exciting for our set of players either.

I found this semi-interesting as well http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/ent ... 6/11075391

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NormalSizedMidget said:
Yeah I saw that too..now what happens to half of the guys that don't fit into his scheme. Mainly Kampman and probably Harris unless you can teach an old dog to play zone. I also remember him playing that "Big Nickel" garbage essentially a 4-2-5 (3 safeties). Not exactly exciting for our set of players either.

I found this semi-interesting as well http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/ent ... 6/11075391

Yeah, it's a really tough call on Nolan. Part of me has wanted to defend him in San Fran, but it's not easy to do. He definitely was given too much power and shouldn't have had the GM title. The whole Big Nickel thing was a joke, but I get his intention. They had no pass rushers and he was trying to just find a way to get all his best players on the field at once. It was a bad idea, it didn't work, he shouldn't have kept it up. I also know that the 49er's offense was always so unbelievably bad that the defense was on the field for 70% of the game, so that makes it a little tougher to judge.

Point is, for every good thing you can say about Nolan, there are bad things too. I am starting to believe that he would be a desperation hire. IE - MM/TT could afford to have a crummy team for 2-3 years while we re-staff the defense.

The biggest problem Nolan will have, same problem he had in San Fran and the same problem a lot of the other two-gap 3-4 teams have, is there is nobody to play the nose. Pickett is good enough for our current system, but he is too small to make it in a two-gap scheme. There's nobody out there right now that we could sign/trade that would fit the role. The extremely few guys who can play that spot are all staying with their current teams long-term.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is McCarthy trying to get the band back together from San Francisco? They haven't been relevant in like 10 years.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like it, he could focus on his best aspect, defense and anything would be better than sanders. hopefully tt gives him more pieces to work with!!

wiseone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont like it, I would like to see someone like Gregg Williams, who is aggressive and likes to blitz...but knows what the heck he is doing..not like Bob Slowik

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UncleMeat said:
The biggest problem Nolan will have, same problem he had in San Fran and the same problem a lot of the other two-gap 3-4 teams have, is there is nobody to play the nose. Pickett is good enough for our current system, but he is too small to make it in a two-gap scheme. There's nobody out there right now that we could sign/trade that would fit the role. The extremely few guys who can play that spot are all staying with their current teams long-term.

Aren't there any quality prospects for NT in this draft? You'd think you might have your pick at number 9 if there are any worth that draft slot.

WJMARO_DESTINY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOLAN CLOSING IN ON PACKERS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

We reported that other night on rumors of former 49ers coach Mike Nolan putting together a staff, and of speculation in league circles that Nolan will become the Packers’ next defensive coordinator.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Nolan has become the “clear front-runner” to replace Bob Sanders.

Nolan has 11 years of experience as a defensive coordinator, most recently with the Ravens.

“He’s good now. He’s smart,” an unnamed scout told the Press-Gazette. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always liked Nolan, he would not be my first choice, but he is a class guy and has some fire in him which this team really needs on D. My first choice would be Bates, but I guess no chance of him comming back, since he tured the job down a few years ago. Right now I think that Nolan would bring in a hard nose attitude that the Pack needs.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NormalSizedMidget said:
UncleMeat said:

Aren't there any quality prospects for NT in this draft? You'd think you might have your pick at number 9 if there are any worth that draft slot.

Terrance Cody from 'Bama is the guy. Most boards have him in the 20's somewhere. He's a beast (I think he's listed between 365-380lbs and he's come in at 400 before). We'd obviously have to trade back for him and probably take him high to avoid ******** ourselves.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a move to the 3-4 would be great. First, GB could trade back in the first round and pick Cody from Alabama or BJ Raji from BC with their first pick. After that, trade or do whatever it takes to draft that DE from South Florida who would be a perfect pass rushing OLB in a 3-4.

If Nolan wants to install a 3-4, hire him IMMEDIATELY.

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another prominent former head coach has moved into Green Bay's sights for its open defensive coordinator position. According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, former Buffalo head coach Gregg Williams -- who spent 2008 as the defensive coordinator in Jacksonville -- is under strong consideration as well.

While Nolan remains the leading candidate for the job, Williams has the résumé and schematic experience the Packers apparently are looking for; he has employed various schemes during his stops in Tennessee, Buffalo, Washington and Jacksonville.

UPDATE (10:30 a.m. ET): ESPN's John Clayton reports Nolan will interview Thursday. No interview with Williams is scheduled as of yet. However, the Packers have set up an interview with at least one other candidate to join their defensive staff: Denver defensive line coach Bill Johnson, who would serve in the same capacity in Green Bay.

Gregg Williams please.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
Why interview the defensive line coach from the Broncos when the Broncos had a worse defense than GB?

Cause he was dealin with absolutely no talent in Denver..

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aa-rodg_is_cool said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
Why interview the defensive line coach from the Broncos when the Broncos had a worse defense than GB?

Cause he was dealin with absolutely no talent in Denver..

God knows he's going to have a boatload of defensive line talent here in Green Bay :lol:

Members online

Latest posts