1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nolan to the Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wizard 87, Jan 5, 2009.

1. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
  2. NormalSizedMidget

NormalSizedMidget Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I saw that too..now what happens to half of the guys that don't fit into his scheme. Mainly Kampman and probably Harris unless you can teach an old dog to play zone. I also remember him playing that "Big Nickel" garbage essentially a 4-2-5 (3 safeties). Not exactly exciting for our set of players either.

I found this semi-interesting as well http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/ent ... 6/11075391

3. BrettFavresucks

BrettFavresucks Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with Mike NoWin! He should do a good job though. He has been a very good DC in the NFL.

4. UncleMeat

UncleMeat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's a really tough call on Nolan. Part of me has wanted to defend him in San Fran, but it's not easy to do. He definitely was given too much power and shouldn't have had the GM title. The whole Big Nickel thing was a joke, but I get his intention. They had no pass rushers and he was trying to just find a way to get all his best players on the field at once. It was a bad idea, it didn't work, he shouldn't have kept it up. I also know that the 49er's offense was always so unbelievably bad that the defense was on the field for 70% of the game, so that makes it a little tougher to judge.

Point is, for every good thing you can say about Nolan, there are bad things too. I am starting to believe that he would be a desperation hire. IE - MM/TT could afford to have a crummy team for 2-3 years while we re-staff the defense.

The biggest problem Nolan will have, same problem he had in San Fran and the same problem a lot of the other two-gap 3-4 teams have, is there is nobody to play the nose. Pickett is good enough for our current system, but he is too small to make it in a two-gap scheme. There's nobody out there right now that we could sign/trade that would fit the role. The extremely few guys who can play that spot are all staying with their current teams long-term.

5. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Why is McCarthy trying to get the band back together from San Francisco? They haven't been relevant in like 10 years.

6. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    I would also like to add that i do like a switch to the 3-4. GB would need better athletes, but I like the 3-4.

7. BrettFavresucks

BrettFavresucks Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  8. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    i would like it, he could focus on his best aspect, defense and anything would be better than sanders. hopefully tt gives him more pieces to work with!!

9. wiseone

wiseone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont like it, I would like to see someone like Gregg Williams, who is aggressive and likes to blitz...but knows what the heck he is doing..not like Bob Slowik

10. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
  11. NormalSizedMidget

NormalSizedMidget Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't there any quality prospects for NT in this draft? You'd think you might have your pick at number 9 if there are any worth that draft slot.

12. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    If Nolan comes, someone tell him to bring Patrick Willis with him :)

13. WJMARO_DESTINY

WJMARO_DESTINY Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NOLAN CLOSING IN ON PACKERS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

We reported that other night on rumors of former 49ers coach Mike Nolan putting together a staff, and of speculation in league circles that Nolan will become the Packers’ next defensive coordinator.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Nolan has become the “clear front-runner” to replace Bob Sanders.

Nolan has 11 years of experience as a defensive coordinator, most recently with the Ravens.

“He’s good now. He’s smart,” an unnamed scout told the Press-Gazette. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

14. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have always liked Nolan, he would not be my first choice, but he is a class guy and has some fire in him which this team really needs on D. My first choice would be Bates, but I guess no chance of him comming back, since he tured the job down a few years ago. Right now I think that Nolan would bring in a hard nose attitude that the Pack needs.

15. UncleMeat

UncleMeat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Terrance Cody from 'Bama is the guy. Most boards have him in the 20's somewhere. He's a beast (I think he's listed between 365-380lbs and he's come in at 400 before). We'd obviously have to trade back for him and probably take him high to avoid screwing ourselves.

16. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Guy from Boston College could play noseguard.

17. gman

gman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that too.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    I think a move to the 3-4 would be great. First, GB could trade back in the first round and pick Cody from Alabama or BJ Raji from BC with their first pick. After that, trade or do whatever it takes to draft that DE from South Florida who would be a perfect pass rushing OLB in a 3-4.

If Nolan wants to install a 3-4, hire him IMMEDIATELY.

19. The Wok

The Wok Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Gregg Williams please.

20. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Why interview the defensive line coach from the Broncos when the Broncos had a worse defense than GB?

21. Aa-rodg_is_cool

Aa-rodg_is_cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cause he was dealin with absolutely no talent in Denver..

22. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    God knows he's going to have a boatload of defensive line talent here in Green Bay :lol:

23. packerblitz

packerblitz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard some other runner ups could be a coach from the Eagles or the Steelers? Cant remember the names off the top of my head but I did hear that.