1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No guarantee Sherrod makes the 53

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Mar 31, 2014.

1. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +254
    Thanks to both of you. I think you're right that training camp will be huge for Sherrod this year. He will have to show that he's significantly better than Adams, Barclay, draft pics, and all of the other practice squad guys or he'll be jettisoned. I expect that he won't do that. They won't keep him if he's the 8th best O-lineman after camp.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +465

I remember a day, waaaaayyyyy back in the past, when ROOKIES didn't have to be terrific in their very first seasons...back when players like Datone Jones weren't certifiable busts because they didn't get 8+ sacks their first season, when Jordy Nelson didn't have to have 1,000 yards receiving his first year

• Like Like x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    To use a term bantered around here quite a bit, there is a lot of "ball-licking" that goes on with 1st round picks. Fans and media often think that they should all be first day starters. Just because a player excelled in college HAS ZERO correlation with how quickly they will acclimate to the pro game. Most college players don't start until their junior or senior seasons so how or why they are expected to have instant impacts in the NFL is beyond rational thought.

Fans and media hamstring players because they had success in college. All it means is that in their final season, they were better than their competition. It does not mean they have a leg up on any other player entering the league. Micah Hyde was no better prepared to start than Datone Jones because of his draft position, he just acclimated to the NFL quicker. That's no indication of how either will play the game in 5 years.

4. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +372
    As faaaaaar back as I can remember #1 picks have been expected to make a solid contribution right out of the gate.
    #1 picks are rarely drafted as a project.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    Expected by whom?

6. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'm pretty sure when we drafted Sherrod we already had 2 set starting T in Clifton and Bulaga. Same for Bulaga with Clifton and Tauscher.

7. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +254
    Exactly. Thompson usually drafts for two years out. Everyone knew that both Clifton and Tauscher were approaching the end of their contracts/careers. I think he probably sees the same with T. Williams, Hawk, Raji and possibly Nelson, Peppers and B. Jones.

You can count on annual 20% roster replacement.

8. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +465
    So Sherrod was drafted to play tackle and our coaches, for some inconceivable reason, decided to have him compete with TJ Lang at left guard instead during his rookie offseason; the same TJ Lang who had a VERY good 2011 so it's no knock on Sherrod that he couldn't beat out Lang. So, instead of actually getting practice reps at tackle in his first exposure to a professional program, our "left tackle of the future" was being trained as a GUARD! So, was it really any surprise that Sherrod struggled to make an impact when the coaching staff had determined, before any practices were eeven being held, that Sherrod would be taking most of his reps at guard? How exactly was Sherrod supposed to beat out Newhouse when the coaches didn't allow him to compete with Newhouse? Sherrod was FINALLY moved back to tackle after the second exhibition game but by then it's a little late to expect him to be able to learn the pro position at tackle. The third exhibition game has starters play the most and the fourth game is mainly for guys in the cusp of being cut. After the preseason the coaches are more worried about game planning that developing a guy (though obvoisuly they hope that happens).

So I think the better question is why the coaches wasted Sherrod's first chance to develop their first round tackle by tryiing to convert him into a guard?

• Like Like x 1
  9. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +372
    You make a very good point.
    That comes back to the old "trying to pound square pegs into round holes" saw.

10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,848
    Actually we were set at tackle during the 2011 camp with Clifton and Bulaga.

11. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +372
    But Cliffy was on his last leg and was basically game to game status.

12. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    First off, I'm sure someone has already said this as I've not read this entire thread, I don't see TT drafting 3 offensive lineman in this draft. OLine is finally not a position of glaring need. I do believe he will draft 1 or 2 and I think that's smart for depth and competition purposes. Guard and Tackle are set. Center is obviously still an unknown but here's where I think TT will use his picks on. Maybe a true C, and a C/G swing guy for depth.

Now onto Sherrod, I sincerely hope he can stay healthy and find a spot on this roster. At this point I don't even care that he was a 1st round pick or if he is a backup he needs to demonstrate he can play and be of service to this team. Who knows maybe he comes in healthy and beats out Bak for the LT job (I'm not counting on this but you never know). He was a 1st round talent for a reason, I just hope he can stay healthy so he can display why he was taken where he was.

I'm just glad that for once OLine isn't a glaring need and we are discussing whether or not a 1st round lineman is going to make the team. IMO it's a good problem to have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +465
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean you try and teach a guy a brand new position. Just because we have a bunch of running backs doesn't mean that Franklin should be forced to practice as a slot receiver.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,848
    I don't disagree with you about that, but the Packers have mostly drafted college tackles over Thompson's era and tried to play them somewhere else on the line, so Sherrod isn't the only one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +465

And I have no problem with that strategy, in general. The difference with Sherrod is that he was drafted to play tackle while those other guys were drafted with the intention to play guard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk