No guarantee Sherrod makes the 53

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought he would be the LT or at least RT of the future; he was well on his way until that severely broken leg. He got a handful of snaps last yr but had a hard time beating out everyone's favorite linemen Marshall Newhouse. With Tretter healthy and Bulaga healthy and high hopes for Bak where's that leave Sherrod? I foresee TT drafting at least three Olinmen in the draft . I hope they give Sherrod every chance to prove himself or else he becomes another wasted first round pick when there were other positions that TT could've upgraded.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thought he would be the LT or at least RT of the future; he was well on his way until that severely broken leg. He got a handful of snaps last yr but had a hard time beating out everyone's favorite linemen Marshall Newhouse. With Tretter healthy and Bulaga healthy and high hopes for Bak where's that leave Sherrod? I foresee TT drafting at least three Olinmen in the draft . I hope they give Sherrod every chance to prove himself or else he becomes another wasted first round pick when there were other positions that TT could've upgraded.

Don´t agree with your take that Sherrod was on his way when he got injured, he hardly played during his rookie season. Furthermore I don´t think TT will draft three OLs as there are way bigger needs on this team. I agree though that it´s not a given that Sherrod will make the team as it would save the Packers roughly $1.3 million if they decide to cut him.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dis agree that he was well on his way.
He looked awful his rookie year and as you noted he couldn't beat out Newhouse.
I doubt that he will ever start another game for the Packers.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t agree with your take that Sherrod was on his way when he got injured, he hardly played during his rookie season. Furthermore I don´t think TT will draft three OLs as there are way bigger needs on this team. I agree though that it´s not a given that Sherrod will make the team as it would save the Packers roughly $1.3 million if they decide to cut him.

We will agree to disagree then. I thought he was doing fairly well until he got hurt. He was getting better each game and was on his way to being a starter somewhere on that line we had as a starter. I bet TT draft at least three linemen. We have other needs yes but with the issues with Bulaga and his hip/knee and Tretter still kinda being an unknown, and no center it's not unlikely at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

We will agree to disagree then. I thought he was doing fairly well until he got hurt. He was getting better each game and was on his way to bring a starter.

He played a total of 115 snaps during his rookie season before getting injured vs. the Chiefs. It´s hard to argue with the fact that he didn´t play a lot, the reason for it being that he just wasn´t good enough.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much anyone can not make the 53. By far Sherrod's best game was the one he got hurt in. That was a real shame. He's not all of the tools to be a good player, but there are plenty of guys like that that never make it. To be fair, he wasn't healthy enough to practice until the end of last year, so we won't really know if he can do anything until training camp this year. I'd love for him to really fulfill his potential though and take the LT spot. Otherwise, he's probably what they're thinking of for swing tackle.

Also, drop all of this "well, we shoulda drafted someone else" BS. If Von Miller broke his leg as bad as Sherrod before he had a chance to show if he'd be good, people could say the same BS. Aaron Curry is a bust because he had a ton of chances to play and washed out. Sherrod still hasn't really had a chance.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much anyone can not make the 53. By far Sherrod's best game was the one he got hurt in. That was a real shame. He's not all of the tools to be a good player, but there are plenty of guys like that that never make it. To be fair, he wasn't healthy enough to practice until the end of last year, so we won't really know if he can do anything until training camp this year. I'd love for him to really fulfill his potential though and take the LT spot. Otherwise, he's probably what they're thinking of for swing tackle.

Also, drop all of this "well, we shoulda drafted someone else" BS. If Von Miller broke his leg as bad as Sherrod before he had a chance to show if he'd be good, people could say the same BS. Aaron Curry is a bust because he had a ton of chances to play and washed out. Sherrod still hasn't really had a chance.

Never said not to give him a chance.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played a total of 115 snaps during his rookie season before getting injured vs. the Chiefs. It´s hard to argue with the fact that he didn´t play a lot, the reason for it being that he just wasn´t good enough.

Or he wasn't ready ? There's a difference .

D

Deleted member 6794

Or he wasn't ready ? There's a difference .

I´m fine with whatever you want to call it, it´s a fact that he didn´t play a lot during his rookie season cause he wasn´t the best option at the time. It´s impossible to predict what would have happened if he didn´t get injured. This year he will have to show though that he´s capable of starting, otherwise he´ll be gone.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod is not gone.

TT gives his draft picks every opportunity to succeed, almost to a fault.

He sucked his rookie year because they tried their *** off to play him at guard, where he struggled. I want to say that nearly his entire training camp was the Packers trying to make him work at guard. Not a fair shot at making it at tackle IMO.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod is not gone.

TT gives his draft picks every opportunity to succeed, almost to a fault.

He sucked his rookie year because they tried their *** off to play him at guard, where he struggled. I want to say that nearly his entire training camp was the Packers trying to make him work at guard. Not a fair shot at making it at tackle IMO.

Don't forget to add he had no rookie minicamps or ability to communicate with the coaches, along with a limited time in training camp because of the lockout (on top of them putting him at guard.) His entire pro career he really has gotten the short end of the stick, an I have never heard him complain. I really hope he can show the potential that got him drafted in the first round.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m fine with whatever you want to call it, it´s a fact that he didn´t play a lot during his rookie season cause he wasn´t the best option at the time. It´s impossible to predict what would have happened if he didn´t get injured. This year he will have to show though that he´s capable of starting, otherwise he´ll be gone.

I agree 100% hence the reason I started the thread.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless somebody emerges as a better backup OT option, Sherrod will make the team. With Bulaga an injury risk, the team will likely keep Barclay unless Sherrod shows that he can also play the right side. Sherrod is running out of time to prove himself, but he wasn't able to play the first half of last season. He didn't lose out to Newhouse last year as stated in the original post - he was on the PUP list. Now that they figured out the secondary complications from his leg break, Sherrod has the opportunity to prove himself. He's studied the pro game enough so now he needs to apply what he's learned or he will be gone. I think that he'll stick around though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn’t think he was doing well before the injury but IMO that is partly due to the Packers requiring OL to learn multiple positions. Because of the number of OL active on game day they have to have some versatility but I think learning three positions on the OL slows the progress of some rookie OL. OTOH, it’s probably the best way a rookie can make the active roster if he isn't starting so this isn’t a criticism. My point is if Sherrod would have been put at one of the OT spots and stayed there, we would have a better idea of his progress.Unfortunately that's moot at this point because of that damn injury.

The first three years of his salary were guaranteed and this of course is year four, so I agree he isn’t a lock for the roster. As to how many OL are drafted, if you include UDFA (probably for the interior of the OL) there could be 3, but not necessarily drafted. BTW, there are 12 OL on the roster now.

H

HardRightEdge

Let's say we pencil in the following for the moment:

LT - Bakhtiari
LG - Sitton
C- Tretter
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga

Barkley would certainly be kept as a cheap, versatile and credible RT and G backup.

Under this scenario Bulaga would be the backup at LT if Bakhtiari is injured with Barkley sliding in at RT. Lang might be the emergency center again, with Barkley taking his spot at RG in that eventuality.

Under a 7-man scenario, which McCarthy has used more often than not in recent years, there's one spot available. That spot could go to a guy who can compete for the C spot or at least back up. That could be as simple as keeping Gerhart on the 53 man roster.

I think the 8-man scenario is more likely as the pre-draft default position given that Bulaga, Sherrod and Tretter have question marks and the team has no idea what they have in Sherrod until training camp.

I could easily see one pick expected to compete for the C/G spot penciled in for Gerhart above, or even compete for starting C. I could see a second pick going to one of the patented Thompson/McCarthy college-LT-converted-to-interior guys in a middle to low round if their pre-draft outlook for Sherrod is not encouraging.

We have other names on the roster now: Taylor, Tiller, Adams, Vujnovich. These are "just guys" as is Gerhard, but the team might roll the dice betting one of them will progress to serviceable backup status for at least stashing on the practice squad.

I think the odds we draft 3 O-Lineman are probably lower than our drafting none at all. One in the 3rd. - 5th. round and perhaps a second in the 5th. - 7th. round are the more likely scenarios.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Let's say we pencil in the following for the moment:

LT - Bakhtiari
LG - Sitton
C- Tretter
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga

Barkley would certainly be kept as a cheap, versatile and credible RT and G backup.

Under this scenario Bulaga would be the backup at LT if Bakhtiari is injured with Barkley sliding in at RT. Lang might be the emergency center again, with Barkley taking his spot at RG in that eventuality.

Under a 7-man scenario, which McCarthy has used more often than not in recent years, there's one spot available. That spot could go to a guy who can compete for the C spot or at least back up. That could be a simple as keeping Gerhardt on the 53 man roster.

I think the 8-man scenario is more likely as the pre-draft default position given that Bulaga, Sherrod and Tretter have question marks and the team has no idea what they have in Sherrod until training camp.

I could easily see one pick expected to compete for the C/G spot penciled in for Gerhard above, or even compete for starting C. I could see a second pick going to one of the patented Thompson/McCarthy college-LT-converted-to-interior guys in a middle to low round if their pre-draft outlook for Sherrod is not encouraging.

We have other names on the roster now: Taylor, Tiller, Adams, Vujnovich. These are "just guys" as is Gerhard, but the team might roll the dice betting one of them will progress to serviceable backup status for at least stashing on the practice squad.

I think the odds we draft 3 O-Lineman are probably lower than our drafting none at all. One in the 3rd. - 5th. round and perhaps a second in the 5th. - 7th. round are the more likely scenarios.

I agree with most of your thoughts, but I think that Taylor will probably end up ahead of Gerhart on the depth chart.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with most of your thoughts, but I think that Taylor will probably end up ahead of Gerhart on the depth chart.
Perhaps. I wouldn't argue the point over a couple of guys on the bubble. I don't think either of them is practice squad eligible which might be a determining factor in a roster-one/stash-one scenario...Gerhart is going into his 3rd. year and if I'm not mistaken Taylor exceeded 9 games on the 45 man roster last season.

Any C/G draftee might bounce both of them. I put Gerhard ahead of Taylor only because he was a college center.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under a 7-man scenario, which McCarthy has used more often than not in recent years, there's one spot available.... I think the 8-man scenario is more likely...
IMO - this speaks directly to the Sherrod dilemma. If it's a 7-man scenario and they draft one OL in the 4th round or higher, that draftee is a virtual lock to make the roster and Sherrod is out - unless he outplays Baclay and learns guard.

If it's an 8-man scenario, then drafting two linemen in the mid-to-upper rounds would push Sherrod or Barclay out the door.

It's rare to see any picks above the 6th round get cut in their rookie season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps. I wouldn't argue the point over a couple of guys on the bubble. I don't think either of them is practice squad eligible which might be a determining factor in a roster-one/stash-one scenario...Gerhart is going into his 3rd. year and if I'm not mistaken Taylor exceeded 9 games on the 45 man roster last season.

Any C/G draftee might bounce both of them. I put Gerhard ahead of Taylor only because he was a college center.

Of course there´s no reason to argue over some guys on the bubble, I was just going with Taylor as he made the 53 man roster out of camp last year. But you´re absolutely right that both could be bounced by a draft pick or even an undrafted guy and that they´re not practice squad eligible.

H

HardRightEdge

IMO - this speaks directly to the Sherrod dilemma. If it's a 7-man scenario and they draft one OL in the 4th round or higher, that draftee is a virtual lock to make the roster and Sherrod is out - unless he outplays Baclay and learns guard.

If it's an 8-man scenario, then drafting two linemen in the mid-to-upper rounds would push Sherrod or Barclay out the door.

It's rare to see any picks above the 6th round get cut in their rookie season.
I agree...two OL picks in the mid-to-upper rounds would signal Sherrod is likely out the door. I doubt the draft will shake out that way. I would question, however, that a 5th. or 6th. round pick would be safe for the 53 man roster. I have a hard time seeing room for 7 rookies; we're already chock-a-block with young players and we're holding two 3rd. rounders and two 5th. rounders.

It's possible, given the existing youth, Thompson will want to package some picks to move up at one point or another, but barring that I wouldn't consider any 5th. rounder having a leg up this season.

The team will want to see what, if anything, Sherrod can provide in a step-by-step approach...OTAs, camp, pre-season games...until he eliminates himself or survives to the 53 man roster. This is it for him, though...I doubt there will be any PUP or IR this time around...he needs to fish or cut bait by final cut down. Sherrod represents a $1.3 mil cap savings if he's released so he must demonstrate value now.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

HRE, can you explain the 1.3M cap savings? My understanding is that he is under contract through 15 season and signed 4 yr / 6.6M contract with 5.3 M guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 6794

HRE, can you explain the 1.3M cap savings? My understanding is that he is under contract through 15 season and signed 4 yr / 6.6M contract with 5.3 M guaranteed.

Sherrod's cap hit this season would be $2.1 million (approximately $1.3 million in base salary and $800K in the prorated portion of the signing bonus he got in 2011). Therefore if the Packers cut him before the start of the regular season his non-guaranteed base salary for this year wouldn't count vs. the cap, resulting in $1.3 million savings.

H

HardRightEdge

This web site is very good for the details and breakdowns:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Derek Sherrod&Position=OL&Team=Packers

The $5.3 mil guarantee was eaten up by his signing bonus and his salaries in his first 3 years. His approx. $1.3 mil salary for 2014 is not guaranteed and would represent cap savings if he's released.

Up to this point it cost us nothing to keep him around beyond what was already guaranteed other than a roster spot. The roster spot wasn't even a factor during his time on IR and PUP. One could afford to be exceedingly optimistic about his prognosis since it cost nothing. Now, that optimism costs $1.3 million in cash and cap so it needs to be justified.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would question, however, that a 5th. or 6th. round pick would be safe for the 53 man roster.
I did a quick look and couldn't find any 5th round draft picks that haven't made the roster since QB Jay Barker in 1995 was cut. Only a couple 5th rounders were stashed on the practice squad such as Clowney and Giacomini, but 6th and 7th rounders have a much higher chance of the practice squad or being cut.

I think it's just a matter of rookie contracts that draws a line between the 5th and 6th rounds.

Latest posts