No dice for Jim Leonhard

D

Deleted member 6794

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hard-reunites-with-mike-pettine-in-cleveland/

I like this kid.
Not only is he pretty good but he is also from Wisconsin and a Badger.
Oh well.
I guess trying to win a ring just isn't high up on his list.
Good luck winning with the Clowns, pal. Your gonna need it. Big time!
Uhhhhh, you think it was Leonhard's choice alone if and where he would get a chance to continue his career? At his age he's very fortunate to have this opportunity to make any team roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree, Leonard probably didn't have a lot of options. It looks like the Packers have 5 players vying for the safety spots: Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, and Banjo. If Hyde hadn't been switched to S, I would have thought bringing in the best vet available would be a good idea. But I think they think they have it covered now and they have a reason to believe that. BTW, I know it's early but I was surprised Banjo was ahead of Richardson on the second team briefly - Richardson had a good day of practice and lined up next to Clinton-Dix the next practice.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, Leonard probably didn't have a lot of options. It looks like the Packers have 5 players vying for the safety spots: Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, and Banjo. If Hyde hadn't been switched to S, I would have thought bringing in the best vet available would be a good idea. But I think they think they have it covered now and they have a reason to believe that. BTW, I know it's early but I was surprised Banjo was ahead of Richardson on the second team briefly - Richardson had a good day of practice and lined up next to Clinton-Dix the next practice.

Richardson has looked great during today´s practice so far, seems like he has moved past Banjo on the depth chart again.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would be comfortable with Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, and Richardson at safety. Since Hyde may be a part-time safety, Banjo's job may depend upon his STs play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be comfortable with Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, and Richardson at safety. Since Hyde may be a part-time safety, Banjo's job may depend upon his STs play.

It all depends on how the numbers at other positions work out as well. I would be fine with having four safeties on the roster as well, Banjo wouldn´t get a lot of playing time if those guys can stay healthy.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhhhh, you think it was Leonhard's choice alone if and where he would get a chance to continue his career?
I was under that impression from this opening paragraph in the article I linked in the first post:

Safety Jim Leonhard said recently that he had spoken to the Packers about coming aboard for the 2014 season, but the Wisconsin native never reached agreement on a deal with the team.

That reads to me as if the Packers gave him an offer he refused.
I dunno what really went on between the Packers and Jim.
If you have some other inside info that offers insights over who really turned down who, then by all means share it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was under that impression from this opening paragraph in the article I linked in the first post:

Safety Jim Leonhard said recently that he had spoken to the Packers about coming aboard for the 2014 season, but the Wisconsin native never reached agreement on a deal with the team.

If you have some other inside info that offers insights over who really turned down who, then by all means share it.

I read the article at the time it was published but didn´t get the impression the Packers offered him a contract.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You don't turn down a contract or money when there's really no market for your services so maybe it was the Packers.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read the article at the time it was published but didn´t get the impression the Packers offered him a contract.
That still leaves it open to guessing who didn't want the offer.
Packers didn't give him a contract because he was asking for too much money or he turned down the idea of a contract because he wanted more?

You don't turn down a contract or money when there's really no market for your services so maybe it was the Packers.
If the statement:

means that the Packers turned him down instead, then how am I supposed to read it as that?

It looks like no one really knows for sure who turned down who or why the talks fell apart.
Maybe it doesn't matter.
All that matters is that Jim isn't coming to GB which is too bad. :(

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That still leaves it open to guessing who didn't want the offer.
Packers didn't give him a contract because he was asking for too much money or he turned down the idea of a contract because he wanted more?

If the statement:

means that the Packers turned him down instead, then how am I supposed to read it as that?

It looks like no one really knows for sure who turned down who or why the talks fell apart.
Maybe it doesn't matter.
All that matters is that Jim isn't coming to GB which is too bad. :(
Maybe he put the offer in his pocket and waited for, or weighed other offers.Maybe he thought the opportunity to make Cleveland's roster was much better than his chances here with our safety personnel make up. Why go negative on either party?

H

HardRightEdge

Smart player; slow and old.

Jim Leonhard stated 2014 will be his last season. I think it's a fair conjecture to say he took the better money offer.

Since he's expected to compete for snaps in CLE whereas he'd compete for a backup safety spot and ST in a bubble situation for the final 53 in GB, it's likely CLE offered more money and a better chance to make the regular season roster.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he put the offer in his pocket and waited for, or weighed other offers.Maybe he thought the opportunity to make Cleveland's roster was much better than his chances here with our safety personnel make up. Why go negative on either party?
It also looks like he went to Cleveland because a coach he knows and has a history with is working there to.
Coincidence or did Jim really make that call?

How can I be going negative when I don't have all the answers?
It's all speculative at this point and I'd rather be dealing with facts.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"It would mean a lot, but we've had a lot of conversations with teams, Green Bay being one of them," Leonhard told WQOW in Eau Claire. "They're a great organization, I'd love to play for them but it hasn't worked out up to now. You never know what can happen in the future, but we'll see. They're a great organization and it's always fun to see the fans and have a lot of family that follows them closely."
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/07/12/packers-talked-jim-leonhard/12586211/

So the Packers were one of “a lot” of teams he/his agent had conversations with. That could be as casual as his agent calling the Packers and asking if they had any interest – and the Packers saying ‘perhaps’ to getting down to what kind of money it would take for him to sign. But there’s certainly no indication a contract offer was extended.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, it was stated that Leonhard had "conversations" (plural) with the Packers, which indicates there was some 2-way interest. While no official contract offer may have been made (i.e., a contract having been faxed), indications of an expected role and an indication of commensurate pay may have been discussed.

Vets get paid $1700 per week during training camp and preseason, and in the absence of a signing bonus or a guarantee that's all a guy gets paid if he does not make the opening day roster. A guy like Leonard who would not command any guarantee and perhaps only a very modest signing bonus would be looking for a place that offers him a good chance of making the opening day roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Actually, the quote is, "we've had a lot of conversations with teams, Green Bay being one of them". A lot of conversations with teams, not necessarily conversations (plural) with the Packers. But the point is there's no evidence of a contract offer.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, the quote is, "we've had a lot of conversations with teams, Green Bay being one of them". A lot of conversations with teams, not necessarily conversations (plural) with the Packers. But the point is there's no evidence of a contract offer.
It depends who you ask. Here's a headline that says "conversations" in quotes along with a reference to "talks". Money gets discussed long before a contract offer is put to paper. I've now reached the outer bounds of caring regarding this matter.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/jim-leonhard-says-hes-had-conversations-with-the-packers?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: CheeseheadTv (Cheesehead TV)

Members online

Latest posts