No contract offer for Rivera

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
The consensus from myself and many of you has been that Wahle is gone, but Rivera will be back. We are two days away from free agency and rivera has not been offered a contract, but has said he has no intention of taking less than market value just to stay in Green Bay. I'm starting to think that both those guys will be gone. That would leave Wells, Ruegamer, and possibly Barry (although I think he's a tackle) as the only guys on the roster to play the position. Rivera and Wahle were our two best lineman and I for one have gotten spoiled watching our line the past three years. I hope TT has something planned, because this doesn't look good to me.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivera knows this is his last contract and he's got to look after his family. Can't say I blame him, but he will be missed. From what I've read the past few days, we're going to lose Wahle, Rivera AND Sharper. Looks like TT's already in rebuilding mode. I expect TT to draft a guard in the later rounds (Rivera was a 6th or 7th rounder) and we could also move Tauscher over to guard and put Barry in at tackle. Irregardless, I'm going to miss Rivera. He was a true Packer in the mold of Gilbert Brown. He played hurt most of the last few years, never complained and was a positive locker room presence.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cut'em all and rebuild. Keep Javon and that Sander guy and SB in two years!!

Seriously, I dunno. There are sooo many different scenarios that play this out. I mean if Brett retires, Darren is cut that gives us a lot of cash to keep Wahle AND Rivera. I think the Packers are holding off to see what Brett wants before they decide what to do. Maybe thats why Sherman initially asked for a deadline for Bretts answer about retiring, maybe it wasnt to find another QB maybe it was to know how much cash he had to keep his OL together.

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, Rivera is a free agent and Wahle will be cut by Wednesday - the front office doesn't have the luxury of waiting around to see what Brett does. This will be an educated guess at best.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Dustin said:
Problem is, Rivera is a free agent and Wahle will be cut by Wednesday - the front office doesn't have the luxury of waiting around to see what Brett does. This will be an educated guess at best.

Thats what I was saying with " Maybe thats why Sherman initially asked for a deadline for Bretts answer about retiring, maybe it wasnt to find another QB maybe it was to know how much cash he had to keep his OL together. "

:)

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2 have been so productive and such a positive part of this team, it's hard to imagine them playing w/ someone else. Imagine an NFC North team picking one or both of these guys up; that's going to hurt. Still, I think it's something GB has to do if they want to improve their Def. Barry is a RFA this year and GB has some reservations about his weight & pass blocking abilities, but I think he can be effective. Most likely they put him @ RG or RT and move Ruegamer to LG? Tauscher may move to make things work. Perhaps Morely develops enough in NFLE to ba a factor? It's something GB had to do when they lost Verba and Timmerman and I am sure they can do it again. Good news is Coach Larry is good at it, and some how the guys get better everytime we do it. Wells appears to be another good one that has come out of nowhere. It's worth repeating, our SB teams of 96 & 97 didn't have a OL this good and still found a way to "getter done" Likewise, N.E. , the moneyball team of the NFL, has proven you don't have to have Pro Bowlers on your OL to win. The money can be well spent on improving this Def.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's ******** if favre doesn't let them know today. he's had plenty of time to take things in and decide. if he lets them go into FA with no indication, it's ricky williams like.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
i think it's ******** if favre doesn't let them know today. he's had plenty of time to take things in and decide. if he lets them go into FA with no indication, it's ricky williams like.

well it's really nothing like ricky williams, but i do agree with you. if he did take this long only to tell us "it's been fun." thats a bit inconsiderate to the rest of the franchise.

im sure a contingency plan has already been developed for favre's departure...the other side of that coin is, that plan might suck.

Members online

Latest posts