Nick Perry

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know some refer to it as "team discount" or "loyalty pay", but I think sometimes it has to do with a player having more value to the team they are currently with and/or that player feeling like he is better off sticking with that team. I think this is why Kuhn was kept around and stayed around so long. His value to the Packers was his knowledge of the system and his familiarity with AR and the offense. James Jones was more valuable to the Packers then probably any other team last year because of this. James Starks was a guy I don't think would have gotten the kind of money the Packers paid him, but they valued what he brought to the team higher then most. So far that one isn't working out so well IMO.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Quite a few players have left GB for more money and found out that the GB system is what made them good players. The Packers have also over valued some of their own guys and paid them too much.

In the case of Perry, if this season continues to go the way that it is, he is going to want to get paid what he and his agent think he is worth at that moment. While I'm sure Perry's agent will keep the Packers in negotiations, I can imagine the kind of money some teams will be willing to pay him being based solely on this year and the Packers and TT will walk away.
He's going to be in the top 3 to win the league Defensive player of the year award if he continues at this pace through all 16 games. Someone else almost certainly would win that bidding war. I'm not expecting this current pace of production to last through 16 games though anymore than I expect Lacy to get most of the RB snaps. He'll likely get dinged up and Starks will be needed and I expect he'll perform well also. It doesn't look to me like Starks has lost any speed over the years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They all factor into the equation at different levels

I agree.

I don't think the Packers use what some have referred to as "make-up pay" and confuse with loyalty pay. Paying a guy more money then he is worth to make up for him being under-paid under the terms of his previous contract.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meaning that he's willing to take the hometown discount to stay with the team that kept him around long enough to overcome his injuries. 95% of this forum wanted him cut because he was a bad TT pick, and TT keeps guys around too long. So this one worked out, and some players reward that by sticking with their original team out of loyalty.

That's what loyalty has to do with it. You're not shocking me with the notion that teams and players generally aren't loyal to one another, but you don't have to pretend that it doesn't happen.

If he leaves millions on the table in what could be his last shot at a big contract for the reasons you cite, that wouldn't be loyalty, that would be stupidity.
His first obligation is to his family and himself.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be all for signing both perry and jones next year. Fackrell is a nice surprise, but i wont consider him into equasion until he shows some consistancy. Elliott is great as an inexpensive option. With his special teams skills, he will probabally get 2-3 range.

But that brings up the bigger question... If we invest heavily in perry jones combo. Can the packers afford mathews when the day comes? Mathews is making a ton of !$$

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he leaves millions on the table in what could be his last shot at a big contract for the reasons you cite, that wouldn't be loyalty, that would be stupidity.
His first obligation is to his family and himself.

He and his family can't get along on the $7.5 mil he made in the first four years, for doing virtually nothing? Let's add in the $4.875 mil for this year. If that doesn't already provide for his family and him, I'll be happy to offer some budgeting and investment advice. Don't know if it's urban legend, but didn't Jordy say something like "how much money do you really need?". He can do what he wants, because I started rooting for the uniforms and not the people in them when I could no longer comprehend their income. Just don't tell me it's a big sacrifice to take (for instance) $9 mil per year for playing a game instead of $10/11 or so.

Certainly glad there are lots of folks who don't follow the 'me first' mantra. Otherwise, we'd have far fewer first responders, military, healthcare workers, et. al.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's to say to anyone 'how much they need' or should have? Irregardless of the amount, you owe it to your family to do the best you can for them.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say 'enough', rather than 'best'. In fact, I know a number of families that have suffered from the pursuit of more and more assets, sacrificing quality time. And, as before, I think many who serve a useful purpose could make more money to have more stuff by following other pursuits. But, relativity and semantics will never allow a definitive answer (except to your first question, the answer to which is 'them'. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Certainly glad there are lots of folks who don't follow the 'me first' mantra. Otherwise, we'd have far fewer first responders, military, healthcare workers, et. al.

I used to be a big fan of the "Big 4" professional sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey). But when baseball and basketball players started complaining about $50M or more contracts, I walked away and never looked back. Don't miss them at all. The only reason I still watch the Packers is out of addiction, is the only thing I can attest it to lol. "Hi my name is PB and I am a Packer addict". All kidding aside, you are right, the NFL (and other sports) have created a vacuum where money isn't viewed in a realistic way. But as a friend keeps reminding me, "that guy is as worth as much as a team is willing to pay him." As long as we as consumers keep buying the products, directly or indirectly, we have nobody but ourselves to blame, because the NFL owners, have the money to pay them.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In the case of Perry, if this season continues to go the way that it is, he is going to want to get paid what he and his agent think he is worth at that moment. While I'm sure Perry's agent will keep the Packers in negotiations, I can imagine the kind of money some teams will be willing to pay him being based solely on this year and the Packers and TT will walk away.
Is Perry going to want OLB money? Might he look for DE money?

H

HardRightEdge

Perry's playing at Pro Bowl level, and it's not just the sacks. I didn't think he had it in him, in this defense anyway. If he keeps this up he'd be looking at $10+ mil/yr. 3-down guys who rush the passer and defend the run are a valuable commodity.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point who would be a bigger priority? My list

Perry - he is what we need at Olb good against run and rusher the passer
Tretter - I guess I don't know how he has graded out but he is young
Jones - I am sucker for his talent and flexibility to play multiple positions
Lacy - I just don't want to spend what he will cost but at the right price and length of contract I am in

I am not as big of a Hyde guy so I am fine moving on there. I actually really like Lang but he just doesn't seem like a guy TT will resign

Captain has stated what we will have next off season but I can't remember. Not sure how many guys are realistic to sign

Not so random question. What is Clay's cap hit if we cut him? Not saying we should just wondering

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not so random question. What is Clay's cap hit if we cut him? Not saying we should just wondering
Clay Matthews signed a five year contract extension worth $66 million on April 17, 2013. Matthews received a $20.5 million signing bonus, which was the only guaranteed portion of the contract. On the 5th day of the 2014 League Year Matthews will earn a $5 million roster bonus. In each year of the contract Matthews can earn a $500,000 workout bonus and up to $500,000 in per game active bonuses. Base salaries of the contract are $1,020,000(2013), $1,000,000(2014), $7,600,000(2015), $8,650,000(2016), $10,100,000(2017), and $10,400,000(2018).
http://overthecap.com/player/clay-matthews/1096/
After this season CM3 has 2 years remaining. $4.1m dead money cap hit 2017 with a $11m savings. No dead money after 2017.

D

Deleted member 6794

But that brings up the bigger question... If we invest heavily in perry jones combo. Can the packers afford mathews when the day comes? Mathews is making a ton of !$$

Matthews hasn´t performed on a high level so far this season but I don´t expect the Packers to part ways with him.

I expected Perry to sign with a team playing a 4-3 defense this offseason but it seems he has bought into playing outside linebacker in a 3-4. If he continues to play at his current level the Packers will have to offer him a huge contract to re-sign him in 2017.

Captain has stated what we will have next off season but I can't remember. Not sure how many guys are realistic to sign

With the salary cap expected to raise to $166 million for the 2017 season the Packers would currently have approximately $35 million of cap space available next offseason. That number will most likely decline a bit because of players ending up on injured reserve.

H

HardRightEdge

3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are edge rusher positions. The money is the same. While 4-3 DE was his natural position coming into the league, he's in year 5 as a 3-4 OLB so you'd expect that's where his value lies.

In any case, this is cart before the horse stuff. He needs to continue on track and stay healthy for a full season to qualify as a breakout player.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews hasn´t performed on a high level so far this season but I don´t expect the Packers to part ways with him.

I expected Perry to sign with a team playing a 4-3 defense this offseason but it seems he has bought into playing outside linebacker in a 3-4. If he continues to play at his current level the Packers will have to offer him a huge contract to re-sign him in 2017.

With the salary cap expected to raise to $166 million for the 2017 season the Packers would currently have approximately $35 million of cap space available next offseason. That number will most likely decline a bit because of players ending up on injured reserve.

I thought Clay looked pretty good in the games he played in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt, Clay is a bigger asset playing OLB then he is playing ILB. Let's hope he remains outside for the remainder of his career. Although, I do think bringing him up the middle on stunts occasionally, isn't a bad idea.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the contract Olivier Vernon got. No way GB can afford to keep him if he keeps playing at this level.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look at the contract Olivier Vernon got. No way GB can afford to keep him if he keeps playing at this level.

The Giants signed Vernon on a five-year deal worth $85 million, with $52.5 million of that guaranteed. Will be interesting to see how that one works out for the Giants. The Giants are totally getting the snaps out of Vernon ( 198 out of 211 possible snaps) but only 1 sack and 7 combined tackles. Yeah.....you are right...no way Packers would or should even come close to that on Perry.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants signed Vernon on a five-year deal worth $85 million, with $52.5 million of that guaranteed. Will be interesting to see how that one works out for the Giants. The Giants are totally getting the snaps out of Vernon ( 198 out of 211 possible snaps) but only 1 sack and 7 combined tackles. Yeah.....you are right...no way Packers would or should even come close to that on Perry.
Yeah, we'll have to see if every team goes into a similar spending frenzy. His lack of production in previous years could prevent him from fetching such a price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing we can be sure of is there will be lots of mad money flying around in March.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably same ballpark that CM3 hit 3 seasons ago that I quoted upthread. $65m 5 years, heavy on availability. Matthews now hit the expensive part.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews has had trouble beating blockers all season and has mostly made impact plays only once the defensive scheme worked in his favor leaving him unblocked.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing we can be sure of is there will be lots of mad money flying around in March.
Ah yes, the ides of March, the 72 hour stretch when desperate GM's commit salary cap suicide. I love that time of year.

Members online

Latest posts