Nick Perry

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he earning himself contract extension discussion? He has earned top 4 pro football focus grades for our defense each week. He has been above 80 each game and I would guess is our second highest graded defender on the year behind Daniels.He has been good vs the run and pass. What would be a good deal for him?

D

Deleted member 6794

Is he earning himself contract extension discussion? He has earned top 4 pro football focus grades for our defense each week. He has been above 80 each game and I would guess is our second highest graded defender on the year behind Daniels.He has been good vs the run and pass. What would be a good deal for him?

I was critical of the contract Thompson signed Perry to this offseason. So far he has outplayed the deal and it would have been great had the Packers signed him to a long-term contract. If he continues to perform on an elite level the team will have to pay a hefty price to retain him next offseason.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's playing like a beast right now. If he keeps it up and stays healthy, we should keep him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's playing extremely well. I've always liked Perry and hated that he was always hurt. I remember his first 15 yard roughing penalty when he buried Luck with a hit I love to see but no longer can enjoy because of what it costs our team.

He's always played the run well and can set an edge as good as anybody. He has a nice bullrush that closes down the pocket. He's done a bit more so far than I expected, but it's not really surprising. I hope he can stay healthy all year. I'd hate to be the one deciding and drawing up a future contract though, healthy? Worth every penny. Hurt? It will hurt the roster and cap

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is coming into his own- experience, and finally being healthy. If he can stay healthy, he'll be worth this contract and another one next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Perry is coming into his own- experience, and finally being healthy. If he can stay healthy, he'll be worth this contract and another one next season.

I have a feeling that if his year continues to be this good, another contract won't come at the same price.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was critical of the contract Thompson signed Perry to this offseason. So far he has outplayed the deal and it would have been great had the Packers signed him to a long-term contract. If he continues to perform on an elite level the team will have to pay a hefty price to retain him next offseason.

I have to get my pokes in when I can Captain, because in my eyes you are usually correct ;) If the Packers had signed Perry to a long term contract this winter, I would have had to tie you down to prevent you from going postal ;) :coffee:

But hey, so far you were right on Starks and well Crosby.....let's wait and see. ;)

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He seems like a good candidate for an early extension if the Packers trust his health. Gives him some protection in case he would get injured again. Allows the Packers to get him at a better deal. I would actually like him to be the next extension on the team

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is loyal and willing to take the extension it may be a good idea. I just don't think that he is durable. I love his play but think that the Packers ought to ride him as long as possible and then let somebody else take the risk in free agency. I hope that I'm wrong about his durability.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry has been a difference maker for a while now. I see a noticeable difference when he is in there. The whole defense looks better. And when he gets hurt, the defense seems to take a big step back.
I hope we keep him. But at a reasonable price. 7mil or so a year...maybe 8... Then we get to talk weither we can afford mathews or not...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Peppers makes like 9 mil and is virtually invisible and then Perry makes 5 mil...that gives you 14 mil to play with seeing as Peppers will be long gone after this year. Hell even if we give him 9 it just replaces Peppers and then frees up the 5 mil Perry is making right now. 2 of the top 5 salaries are coming off the books in Shields and Peppers IMO so $$ will not be as huge of a problem as it seems now. I would lock up HaHa though asap as I fear his asking price is going to continue to rise and rise.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers has had really high ratings from pff the past two weeks. The Packers will have some really interesting decisions at Olb. I would be happy if the resigned Perry just don't know what a fair price is. I think Perry is our best Olb right now including Clay.

What do you do with Datone Jones? I feel like he has looked much better as an Olb who goes inside on passing downs. I like what he has to offer when healthy.

Any insight into Fackrell? How has he looked overall?

Is this team going to be drafting an olb early next year or do they have the pieces there? If they don't need to draft an olb or ilb that would be great

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell's sack wasn't really what I'd call a "move." :D He does it well, I'll give him that, but it seems like on every pass rush he just does what kinda looks like a basketball crossover type of thing where he just tries to use a quick direction change to get around the defender. If that fails, he's got nothin. Hopefully Pepp and Clay can teach him a few new things. One move won't get you far in the big leagues.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry has been a difference maker for a while now. I see a noticeable difference when he is in there. The whole defense looks better. And when he gets hurt, the defense seems to take a big step back.
I hope we keep him. But at a reasonable price. 7mil or so a year...maybe 8... Then we get to talk weither we can afford mathews or not...

Perry has been an impact player when healthy therefore it would be smart for the Packers to re-sign him next offseason. Optimally the front office will be able to include a ton of roster bonuses into his contract.

I would lock up HaHa though asap as I fear his asking price is going to continue to rise and rise.

The Packers currently aren´t allowed to renegotiate Clinton-Dix´s contract but could extend him once the 2017 league year has started in March. The team also has the possibility of picking up the fifth year option for the safety after this season.

Peppers has had really high ratings from pff the past two weeks. The Packers will have some really interesting decisions at Olb. I would be happy if the resigned Perry just don't know what a fair price is. I think Perry is our best Olb right now including Clay.

What do you do with Datone Jones? I feel like he has looked much better as an Olb who goes inside on passing downs. I like what he has to offer when healthy.

Any insight into Fackrell? How has he looked overall?

Is this team going to be drafting an olb early next year or do they have the pieces there? If they don't need to draft an olb or ilb that would be great

Currently the Packers only have two outside linebackers under contract for the 2017 season in Matthews and Fackrell. I would be in favor of re-signing both Perry and Jones as well as spending an early round pick on the position in next year´s draft. Peppers is most likely done after this season leaving Elliott as the only player at the position the Packers have a tough decision to make on.

Fackrell played some last week and had a sack on a nice move. Jayrone has been playing well too.

Elliott has improved defending the run but for some reason struggles mightily rushing the passer this year.

Fackrell's sack wasn't really what I'd call a "move." :D He does it well, I'll give him that, but it seems like on every pass rush he just does what kinda looks like a basketball crossover type of thing where he just tries to use a quick direction change to get around the defender. If that fails, he's got nothin. Hopefully Pepp and Clay can teach him a few new things. One move won't get you far in the big leagues.

Fackrell has to add significant strength to consistently rush the passer succesfully.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So far I like both Fackrell and Lowery, but like Captain said about Fackrell, they both need to get bigger and stronger, which with the proper strength and conditioning programs, they will. I doubt TT had either of them in mind to be big contributors this year on anything but possibly special teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far I like both Fackrell and Lowery, but like Captain said about Fackrell, they both need to get bigger and stronger, which with the proper strength and conditioning programs, they will. I doubt TT had either of them in mind to be big contributors this year on anything but possibly special teams.

I guess that with lack of depth on the defensive line the Packers planned on Lowry having to play significant snaps this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess that with lack of depth on the defensive line the Packers planned on Lowry having to play significant snaps this season.
Not sure it was the plan when he was drafted, but with Guion injured, Pennel suspended and like you said, lack of other depth on the DL, it appears Lowry is next man up. 24 total snaps on defense this year, with 11 of them coming against Detroit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure it was the plan when he was drafted, but with Guion injured, Pennel suspended and like you said, lack of other depth on the DL, it appears Lowry is next man up. 24 total snaps on defense this year, with 11 of them coming against Detroit.

Well, the Packers knew about Pennel´s suspension at the time they drafted Lowry. I guess the front office and coaching staff expected him to get more playing time this season than Fackrell.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's loyalty got to do with it? Think team's are loyal to players?
Meaning that he's willing to take the hometown discount to stay with the team that kept him around long enough to overcome his injuries. 95% of this forum wanted him cut because he was a bad TT pick, and TT keeps guys around too long. So this one worked out, and some players reward that by sticking with their original team out of loyalty.

That's what loyalty has to do with it. You're not shocking me with the notion that teams and players generally aren't loyal to one another, but you don't have to pretend that it doesn't happen.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it will all work itself out. Longs ways to go yet with injuries and improvement of young players. I can't see Peppers and Lang being on our roster next year. I think this is their last year in Green Bay. My suspicion right now is that Elliott won't draw much outside interest. We may not be able to re-sign both Perry and Jones. I'm still uncertain about Lacy's status. I think staff and mgmt like Tretter. If Linsley recovers from injury well, I think Tretter has the inside track on being the starting RG next year. I expect him to be the next extension announcement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know some refer to it as "team discount" or "loyalty pay", but I think sometimes it has to do with a player having more value to the team they are currently with and/or that player feeling like he is better off sticking with that team. I think this is why Kuhn was kept around and stayed around so long. His value to the Packers was his knowledge of the system and his familiarity with AR and the offense. James Jones was more valuable to the Packers then probably any other team last year because of this. James Starks was a guy I don't think would have gotten the kind of money the Packers paid him, but they valued what he brought to the team higher then most. So far that one isn't working out so well IMO.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Quite a few players have left GB for more money and found out that the GB system is what made them good players. The Packers have also over valued some of their own guys and paid them too much.

In the case of Perry, if this season continues to go the way that it is, he is going to want to get paid what he and his agent think he is worth at that moment. While I'm sure Perry's agent will keep the Packers in negotiations, I can imagine the kind of money some teams will be willing to pay him being based solely on this year and the Packers and TT will walk away.

Members online