Nick Perry

D

Deleted member 6794

Ah yes, the ides of March, the 72 hour stretch when desperate GM's commit salary cap suicide. I love that time of year.

While Thompson is on vacation instead of trying to upgrade the roster with a veteran possibly agreeing to a reasonable deal with the team.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While Thompson is on vacation instead of trying to upgrade the roster with a veteran possibly agreeing to a reasonable deal with the team.
In the first 72 hours, a reasonable deal is almost impossible. It's a sellers market the first three days.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the first 72 hours, a reasonable deal is almost impossible. It's a sellers market the first three days.

It's possible to sign a deal with a second- or third-tier free agent within the first 72 hours of free agency as well.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and his family can't get along on the $7.5 mil he made in the first four years, for doing virtually nothing? Let's add in the $4.875 mil for this year. If that doesn't already provide for his family and him, I'll be happy to offer some budgeting and investment advice. Don't know if it's urban legend, but didn't Jordy say something like "how much money do you really need?". He can do what he wants, because I started rooting for the uniforms and not the people in them when I could no longer comprehend their income. Just don't tell me it's a big sacrifice to take (for instance) $9 mil per year for playing a game instead of $10/11 or so.

Certainly glad there are lots of folks who don't follow the 'me first' mantra. Otherwise, we'd have far fewer first responders, military, healthcare workers, et. al.
That $7.5 mil in the last for years of doing nothing is long forgotten!

DS

Reaction score
We're 3 games in at net zero takeaways. We have recently been a team that has finished strong in this category (in the top 10 four of the last 6 seasons).
Our 2 most successful seasons under Aaron had us ranked #4 in net takeaways in 2010 and #1 in 2014.
Currently in 2016 we are at net zero ranked #17. The Vikings and Eagles are #1 and #2. This is not a coincidence
We have to focus on this going forward if we want to be a contender.
Study of the Game film of the NFL leaders takeaways, increased drills such as punching the ball out, ripping the ball, QB Wrist chops, offense ball carrier security drills, fumble recovery drills, tipped pass drills. These need to be a focus the next several weeks. We need to set a goal of top #10 by mid season and top #5 by playoffs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We're 3 games in at net zero takeaways. We have recently been a team that has finished strong in this category (in the top 10 four of the last 6 seasons).
Our 2 most successful seasons under Aaron had us ranked #4 in net takeaways in 2010 and #1 in 2014.
Currently in 2016 we are at net zero ranked #17. The Vikings and Eagles are #1 and #2. This is not a coincidence
We have to focus on this going forward if we want to be a contender.
Study of the Game film of the NFL leaders takeaways, increased drills such as punching the ball out, ripping the ball, QB Wrist chops, offense ball carrier security drills, fumble recovery drills, tipped pass drills. These need to be a focus the next several weeks. We need to set a goal of top #10 by mid season and top #5 by playoffs.

Turnover margin is actually one of the most important statistics that mostly gets ignored. Especially in the playoffs it's essential to win the turnover battle to have a chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was predicting a lot of ints from our ball hawking secondary, with a solid dline and lbs with very good pass rushing abilities.... But apparently not the case yet....

Guion is a difference maker. When he gets back to 100 percent, our defense looks better.
Pennell will be a good addition too. Ringo too. Whats up with him?

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was predicting a lot of ints from our ball hawking secondary, with a solid dline and lbs with very good pass rushing abilities.... But apparently not the case yet....

Guion is a difference maker. When he gets back to 100 percent, our defense looks better.
Pennell will be a good addition too. Ringo too. Whats up with him?

The defense has had their chances. Dropped 3 against the lions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The encouraging part is, our defense IS creating turnover opportunities. They need to make the plays they're putting themselves in position to make, the fact they haven't is disappointing but we've seen defenses that are never anywhere near a ball to make a play. Once they start finishing plays, they could be a lot better than just good

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ringo has played a total of 42 snaps on defense so far this season (12 at Jacksonville, 6 at Minnesota, 24 vs. Detroit).
I like ringo. I made the comparison to daniels early on. The rookie season on ir didnt help. But i seen flashes this preseason.... Hopefully he stays healthy and earns some snaps after the big dogs come back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Turnover margin is actually one of the most important statistics that mostly gets ignored. Especially in the playoffs it's essential to win the turnover battle to have a chance at a Lombardi Trophy.
Huge indeed, the majority of NFL games are decided by a TD or less. Dropped interceptions come back to bite you. Gotta catch the ball when it comes to you.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet fans rarely talk about it.

Yep. The Vikings are now plus 10 or something. That probably the key difference between the two teams right now. Yes the Vikings defense is better but their offense is not. If you flipped those turnover margins what would the records be? Philly is also right at the top. Packers haven't been opportunistic enough and have gave other teams the ball a couple times. Philly and Minnesota have not given it away and have been opportunistic.

The Packers need to see that change if they want to move toward the top of the conference

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews hasn´t performed on a high level so far this season but I don´t expect the Packers to part ways with him.

Clay Matthews producing 2 sacks 3 hurries and a TFFL in 1.6 games, with the bulk of his snaps in that .6 game against Minn was played on a bum ankle, looks like pretty good production to me.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews producing 2 sacks 3 hurries and a TFFL in 1.6 games, with the bulk of his snaps in that .6 game against Minn was played on a bum ankle, looks like pretty good production to me.
yeah I was wondering what that was based on as well. I suppose you could say his production hasn't been very good while he wasn't playing, but he looked pretty good to me when he was out there.

H

HardRightEdge

yeah I was wondering what that was based on as well. I suppose you could say his production hasn't been very good while he wasn't playing, but he looked pretty good to me when he was out there.
I'd guess that probably comes from PFF. Historically they don't grade him well as a run defender; he's better coming from the backside than with the play right at him. He's more a big play guy than a down-in-down-out force. But teams need to account for him and his splash plays are impactful.

Versatility is another factor to keep in mind. There are not many edge rushers who can move inside and make an impact, even if that skill came to the fore by unfortunate necessity. We've seen it applied this year with Peppers and Perry on the edge to good affect. I'd like to see more of it.

Is he on a par with Miller or Mack at this stage? No. But he's still a darn good football player.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and his family can't get along on the $7.5 mil he made in the first four years, for doing virtually nothing? Let's add in the $4.875 mil for this year. If that doesn't already provide for his family and him, I'll be happy to offer some budgeting and investment advice. Don't know if it's urban legend, but didn't Jordy say something like "how much money do you really need?". He can do what he wants, because I started rooting for the uniforms and not the people in them when I could no longer comprehend their income. Just don't tell me it's a big sacrifice to take (for instance) $9 mil per year for playing a game instead of $10/11 or so.

Certainly glad there are lots of folks who don't follow the 'me first' mantra. Otherwise, we'd have far fewer first responders, military, healthcare workers, et. al.

I always love the posts that talk about how other people have enough money.

Members online

Latest posts