1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nice Write-up By Gil Brandt of NFL.com

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Packersfan43084, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Packersfan43084

Packersfan43084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    http://nfl.com/news/story/9949904

2. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Still wondering how Jennings got all rookie over Holmes.

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really wondering. Holmes didn't come on until late in the season. Jennings came on right away. Had Jennings not gotten hurt his numbers would of been much better than Holmes rather than very similar.

4. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jennings regressed badly as the year went on as Holmes was getting better. Holmes nearly single handedly won the last game of the year and also was a very very good punt returner.

5. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you not going to take into terms of Jennings 1st half start compared to Holmes though? It's a 16 game season.

By no means am I saying Jennings should get it over Holmes. Frankly I think it's a flip of a coin but Jennings had as big of an impact when healthy.

6. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    1) I hope the Packers do not draft that early again.

2) Trading Walker to obtain a high pick was part of the draft.

3) Don't speak badly of Jennings without realizing he sprained his ankle, came back too early, and re-injured it. It never got a chance to completely heal.

4) Moll, Jolly, and Tollefson were suprises as was undrafted Hunter. They could all be off the roster with the acquisition of better players as could Culver, Peprah(5th round Giants) and undrafted Bush. It is still early to say it was a great draft.

7. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    It is not to early to grade the draft from the standpoint of the contribution made by rookies in their first year. Their contribution was significant, especially considering what was asked of many, and for the most part very positive.

Let's face it. Starting three rookies on the "0" line could have very well ended up a total and complete disaster. That didn't happen.

Others made a lesser impact which is the way you would like for it to be in the first place. When you ask rookies to make a huge impact you are asking for trouble. The less you have to ask and the more you can ease them in the better.

We only have the first year under the '06 draft classes belt but based on that there is a good bet years down the road it will be considered one of our best drafts ever.

8. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    i think jennings would have been great had he not injuried his ankle we do have good talent that will play next year

9. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Frankly I'm tired of the ankle excuse. He injured it in week 7 and was virtually non existant for the rest of the season. Even Brett Favre said he couldn't understand why he was so ineffective as the season wore on. I'm not dissing Jennings as I think he can be a very good player, but I'm just saying I don't think he deserved it over Holmes. Holmes also won rookie of the week more than Jennings as well.

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    An Ankle injury is no easy injury to recover from especially a receiver. If someone is going to make an excuse for him (which I'm not doing) at least use a valid one and this certainly is. I don't think it's a stretch at all to put Jennings over Holmes considering from what I've read so far, Jennings seems to be the consenus #2 rookie receiver right now on most all rookie teams.

11. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that first hand. When I played I injured my ankle pretty badly in practice. Had to have it double tapped before each game and it hindered my movement(I was an OT and DE and no it wasnt in the pros or college). Still 9 weeks? He was non-existant for the last 9 weeks of the season. I understand that alot of people feel he deserved it and can understand the argument, but IMO Holmes was much better as the season wore on which to me is more important.