NFC Playoff picture and thoughts

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- The #1 seed, IMO, is locked up. Arizona is 3 games up in the division now and it would take a pretty huge collapse for them to blow it. Even if we were to run the table, Arizona would need to lose 3 of 6 down the stretch to get HFA throughout the playoffs. Their only loss was non-conference, so they have a tiebreaker advantage.

- With that said, the #2 seed and first round bye is still wide open. The South obviously won't figure into the equation, so we need to win the division, and we need to beat the East winner. Beating Philly is a big help. It's in our best interest to root for the Eagles to win that division since we'd automatically win a head to head to head tiebreaker versus them. It's far too early to say how we'd stack up against Dallas in a tiebreaker. We're both 7-3 and both have 3 conference losses.

- The #1 wild card is not really a place we want to be. More than likely it's going to result in a return trip to New Orleans. A fired up 7-9 team with nothing to lose who are much better at home than on the road. No thanks.

- Every remaining game up to Detroit is a common opponent with Detroit, so they're all important for tiebreaker purposes. However, the most important by far is next week at Minnesota. Two division losses would be very damaging and would probably require us in the end to beat, not tie Detroit in the standings. As things sit right now, we obviously control our own destiny.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at the standings today too and it seems that the wild cards will be in the NFC North and East. That can and likely will change with six games to go. Arizona is certainly looking like the front-runner but I'm not too afraid of playing down there. They don't have a 12th man scenario and the heat is actually comfortable in January.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at the standings today too and it seems that the wild cards will be in the NFC North and East. That can and likely will change with six games to go. Arizona is certainly looking like the front-runner but I'm not too afraid of playing down there. They don't have a 12th man scenario and the heat is actually comfortable in January.

I wanted to put San Francisco or Seattle in over Dallas simply because I think they're better, and after looking at the remaining schedules, I just couldn't. Both have brutal schedules. I expect that whole division to beat up on each other and result in both Seattle and San Francisco finishing no better than 10-6 and being left at home.

I agree that I'd much rather go to Arizona for the NFCCG than Seattle. Not that it would be easy either way, but that'd be my preference too.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Cardinals have a lot of tough games left remaining on their schedule. It's possible they'll lose three of their six games.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's so disgusting to me that the wild card will probably have to play *in* new orleans

oh, and as to arizona, i'm still not sold. not in *that* division with drew stanton at qb

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
- With that said, the #2 seed and first round bye is still wide open. The South obviously won't figure into the equation, so we need to win the division, and we need to beat the East winner. Beating Philly is a big help. It's in our best interest to root for the Eagles to win that division since we'd automatically win a head to head to head tiebreaker versus them. It's far too early to say how we'd stack up against Dallas in a tiebreaker. We're both 7-3 and both have 3 conference losses.
Dallas has the tie breaker currently over GreenBay. They are 2-0 in common opponents and we are 0-2. (Seattle and NO) They have 2vs Philly and 1 vs the Bears yet.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we ought to pull for the Falcons in the NFC South. Would you rather play against Brees or Ryan during the playoffs? And god forbid we are the #5 seed, would you rather play in New Orleans or Atlanta?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I tend to think that there is not one person that coaches or plays for GB that does not understand that we control our destiny as of now. They seem to be playing like it. Getting hot when the weather gets cold is a good formula for winning.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's so disgusting to me that the wild card will probably have to play *in* new orleans
Ironic that in 2010, people were disgusted that "somebody" had to win the pitiful NFC west. The mighty New Orleans Saints had to go up there and actually lost to those pitiful, disgusting Seahawks. That led to the Packers getting to play the Bears. Years later the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. No it's reversed and somebody might have to go to New Orleans.

It's not the worst thing in the world after all.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not upset or up in arms about the South sending a playoff team. It's just the way it goes, and while division strength changes year to year, winning your division should still mean something and bring that reward.

Last year we benefited from it. We hosted a playoff game at 8-7-1 as the 10-6 Cardinals watched from home. But we still earned the right to be there and we showed it. A few years before, the Cardinals could have won their division at 8-8.

All that said I don't want us to have to go into New Orleans in the first round. I'd rather go to Philly or Dallas, frankly.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I am ok with the Packers having to go to New Orleans or Seattle. At some point, one has to face their demons and beat them. Can't run forever.

Lose?... well, too bad... go home.

Win?... and the monkey is off the back and the resultant morale boost would be significant and timely.

Bottom line: There is no F-in reason the Packers cannot beat either team in their home. None.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am ok with the Packers having to go to New Orleans or Seattle. At some point, one has to face their demons and beat them. Can't run forever.

Lose?... well, too bad... go home.

Win?... and the monkey is off the back and the resultant morale boost would be significant and timely.

Bottom line: There is no F-in reason the Packers cannot beat either team in their home. None.

Very true... however...why not play them at home and not have to worry about it?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the bottom line is that I want this team in the Super Bowl and if it takes the easiest possible path to get there, I won't apologize for them.

A #2 seed and therefore a free pass to the divisional round would certainly help.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question:

Who would you rather play in the playoffs? If the Cardinals get the #1 seed that leaves the #2 seed. So.. As of now the likely first game could be:

Lions
Cowboys
Eagles
San Francisco
Seattle
Falcons

Obviously, we beat the Eagles and the Falcons have a poor record. But between the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys or Lions playoff game, who would you prefer?

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but the 49ers and Seahawks both have 4 losses and still have to play each other twice. (So do the Cowboys and Eagles with 3 losses each) and guess who is behind these teams with 6 losses? The Bears. There's actually a chance they could finish ahead of the 49ers or Seahawks...(especially since these teams are about to start playing each other and if the Saints drop, too) and also, the Bears hold the tiebreaker with the 49ers...

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question:

Who would you rather play in the playoffs? If the Cardinals get the #1 seed that leaves the #2 seed. So.. As of now the likely first game could be:

Lions
Cowboys
Eagles
San Francisco
Seattle
Falcons

Obviously, we beat the Eagles and the Falcons have a poor record. But between the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys or Lions playoff game, who would you prefer?

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but the 49ers and Seahawks both have 4 losses and still have to play each other twice. (So do the Cowboys and Eagles with 3 losses each) and guess who is behind these teams with 6 losses? The Bears. There's actually a chance they could finish ahead of the 49ers or Seahawks...(especially since these teams are about to start playing each other and if the Saints drop, too) and also, the Bears hold the tiebreaker with the 49ers...

I'm ok with any as long as it's at home. That's the big difference this year, I think.

Also I was with you on your post until you got to that part about the Bears. The Bears are done. They won't come close to sniffing playoffs this year.

100% they'd have to run the table and go 10-6 to even have a shot, and the fact that they'd have to beat New Orleans, Dallas, and Detroit twice notwithstanding, they haven't looked nearly good enough to win 6 straight against anyone much less good teams.

Consider that even if they did that very well might not be good enough as between the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys, Lions, etc, pretty good chance 2 wild card teams emerge from there with better than 10 wins.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with any as long as it's at home. That's the big difference this year, I think.

Also I was with you on your post until you got to that part about the Bears. The Bears are done. They won't come close to sniffing playoffs this year.

100% they'd have to run the table and go 10-6 to even have a shot, and the fact that they'd have to beat New Orleans, Dallas, and Detroit twice notwithstanding, they haven't looked nearly good enough to win 6 straight against anyone much less good teams.

Consider that even if they did that very well might not be good enough as between the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys, Lions, etc, pretty good chance 2 wild card teams emerge from there with better than 10 wins.

Oh, I don't believe the Bears will make the playoffs, just that they could potentially finish ahead of the 49ers since they won the tiebreaker over them. Especially if the Niners were to drop 2 games over 3 weeks to the Hawks. But I could see them splitting those games.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way this is shaping up, it's looking like we may very well have a couple wildcard teams that are much better than a division winner. For God's sake, Atlanta is horrible and they're in first at 4-6! :laugh::x3::confused:

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way this is shaping up, it's looking like we may very well have a couple wildcard teams that are much better than a division winner. For God's sake, Atlanta is horrible and they're in first at 4-6! :laugh::x3::confused:

Tampa Bay is only 2 games out of first in the division, too. :roflmao:

Latest posts