New mock draft is up

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as we need a good DT for our 3-4 defense I can't help but feel somewhat depressed about using our first round pick on another DT. I'm sure it's just Justin Harrell flashbacks.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best of the 2 picks for the Packers there is Michael Johnson, who I would say has a decent shot at being a better player for the Packers than Raji. The guys that go in picks 10 thru 14 would actually all be better picks for Green Bay IMO. Orakpo may be the exception because he is too small to play DE in a 3-4, but may not be quick enough to play OLB.

I think that Raji has the highest ceiling of any defensive player in the draft, but his bust potential is through the roof. You can always find some fat tub of lard to fill the nose tackle gap in free agency anyway. There are a couple of other players to look at later in the draft to fill the DT need as well, namely Raji's college teammate Ron Brace and Sammie Lee Hill of Stillman.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That mock draft WOULD be nice, If Cushing (1st-14,2nd-1), Sintim (1st-23,2nd-2) and Nicks (1st-30,2nd-5) weren't picked twice... Just kidding, I'm sure they just didn't update the 2nd round.
And I highly doubt Heyward-Bey, Michael Johnson and Max Unger will fall that low...

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stinks that this class is pretty thin if your looking for a dominant nose tackle type. GB is gonna have to find somebody to rotate with Pickett or they are in big trouble stopping the run. If TT stays put the pick will come down to Raji, Curry OLB, Maybin OLB, or one of the slew of offensive tackles. Pretty early yet though and could be a ton of movement up and down after combine and pro workouts so who knows!!!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new Todd McShay draft on ESPN has GB still taking Malcom Jenkins.

I would love to get Raji and Johnson. That would really be a great draft dayl.

gergobacsi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great work, man.
I'd like to see the Packers drafting Everette Brown, Ron Brace in the first 3 rounds.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
As much as we need a good DT for our 3-4 defense I can't help but feel somewhat depressed about using our first round pick on another DT. I'm sure it's just Justin Harrell flashbacks.

I'm glad it's not just me. :rofl:

1) GB has the personnel to cover the 4 LB spots in their 3-4 already.
a) Kampman
b) Hawk
c) Barnett
d) Popp, Hunter or Thompson

No LBs in the first or second round, please!

2) GB has the personnel to cover the 3 starting DL spots in their 3-4 already.
a) Pickett -NT
b) Jolly - LDE
c) Jenkins - RDE

The drop off is measuably steep from there. Harrell is a wild card since we know he has the tools but may never be available. Cole can probably fill in at NT to spell Pickett. Malone is an unknown but could prove valuable in relief at either DE. A first or second round pick to shore up depth here seems like a need/reach pick for TT so don't expect a glamourous name to be selected. It's about the $$$. A mid-level FA will probably be signed before the draft anyway.

3) GB's greatest need is to gain depth in the defensive secondary, or possibly have a current starter replaced.
a) Woodson - CB, maybe better suited at FS now
b) Harris - CB, maybe better suited for Nickelback now
c) Collins - FS
d) Bigby - SS

This is the area I expect a first round pick to fill. Tramon Williams & Will Blackmon appear fast enough & athletic enough to be starting CBs in the NFL, especially now that the emphasis won't be bump & run coverage. However I believe TT has targeted this draft to take his eventual CB of the future so Jenkins does look like the obvious choice. Rouse & Peprah are still raw & do not have what it takes to unseat any current starter, injuries notwithstanding.

The last time TT drafted in the Top Ten he went with the no-brainer pick & that should be Jenkins. The other prospects for DL/OLB don't follow the pattern of youth TT has established so far with his draft philosophy. The defensive secondary is the oldest group & most in need of fresh, top-tier talent.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cant' be serious... Woodson, Harris and Collins are the ONLY 2009 pro bowl players on our roster and you want to spend a 1st round pick on secondary???
I want a CB and a SS drafted, but not that early! we were terrible in sacks and stoping the run. Also, our O-line wasn't very steady, and Tauscher is hitting FA.
And Popp, Hunter or Thompson, Pickett and Jolly???? Really? Have you seen the same season I just did?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
You cant' be serious... Woodson, Harris and Collins are the ONLY 2009 pro bowl players on our roster and you want to spend a 1st round pick on secondary???
I want a CB and a SS drafted, but not that early!

I did say "eventual CB of the future". The Def. secondary is the oldest unit on the team.

They were also directly responsible for blown leads late in games against ATL, CAR, HOU & JAX. They also allowed Kyle Orton to beat them in OT on MNF. They also allowed Kerry Collins to drive the Titans downfield at the end of regulation only to have Bironas miss the FG. That's 6 games where they failed at gut-check time.

BTW, would you like to discuss the MNF game at New Orleans?

PackersRS said:
And Popp, Hunter or Thompson, Pickett and Jolly???? Really? Have you seen the same season I just did?

Forgot Chillar in there. Yes, those are all that is needed to succeed. Pickett & Jolly are great DTs.

You're great at critiquing. How about opening yourself up for critique?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
I want Brown in first, Brace in 2nd, Meredith in 3rd and a CB in the other 3rd. You can criticize all you want, I've stated my opinions before. My point is the best unit in our D is secondary. I know they're the oldest, too, but they have proven themselves, and there's no need to spend so high on secondary. The lines, otherwise, were terrible last year, both D and O, specially D, you can't argue with that, and those guys haven't proven themselves. There's some young guys in our lines that could play well, but they haven't thus far and we cannot spend another year developing. I'd rather spend on a unit that have played VERY poorly, even though they're young, than spend on one that has proven itself, even beign old.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
They were also directly responsible for blown leads late in games against ATL, CAR, HOU & JAX. They also allowed Kyle Orton to beat them in OT on MNF. They also allowed Kerry Collins to drive the Titans downfield at the end of regulation only to have Bironas miss the FG. That's 6 games where they failed at gut-check time.

BTW, would you like to discuss the MNF game at New Orleans?
Al Harris was responsible for our loss to NYG with all that pass interference stuff. But Crosby missed the field goal. He did it again in Minnesota. But we couldn't stop the run or rush the QB in ANY of those games. Just look at the Giants. Do you really think R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison are good players? Yet they're Super Bowl champions. Why? Their lines are the best in the NFL. They have a lot of talent, but so do we, but their lines are much better...

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also say go with a cb, We need someone to match up against big time receivers, AL and Charles just arn't that dominant anymore.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
doughsellz said:
I want Brown in first, Brace in 2nd, Meredith in 3rd and a CB in the other 3rd...

I just threw up in my mouth a little :rofl:

J/K

Some of us still remember the last time GB tapped FSU for a DE. It was a Mandarichian bust. Unless Brown is the absolute head-&-shoulders-above-the-rest player at his position, TT won't touch him at #9. Now if the trade-down happens & I'm guessing it will, Brown at #20 is a decent pick.

If it's got to be a D-lineman then Raji is the premier player but probably won't be there at #9. Orakpo looks like another great choice but only if TT trades down. It's too much of a need/reach for him at #9.

I'm convinced that the purest player with the best hands, size & speed is Jenkins. If Raji is still available that's the only player I'd want besides Jenkins with pick #9. Jenkins has his head on straight, could have been a #1 pick in '08 but stayed at OSU, probably for another championship attempt, but gained another valuable year of experience & improved his draft value considerably.

I wouldn't be upset if one of the premier OTs fell to #9 either. I've been on record before saying I could live with drafting offensive & defensive line with the first pick every year. They are the most valuable positions on your team. We all know games are won & lost in the trenches.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
PackersRS said:
doughsellz said:
I want Brown in first, Brace in 2nd, Meredith in 3rd and a CB in the other 3rd...

I just threw up in my mouth a little :rofl:

J/K

Some of us still remember the last time GB tapped FSU for a DE. It was a Mandarichian bust. Unless Brown is the absolute head-&-shoulders-above-the-rest player at his position, TT won't touch him at #9. Now if the trade-down happens & I'm guessing it will, Brown at #20 is a decent pick.

If it's got to be a D-lineman then Raji is the premier player but probably won't be there at #9. Orakpo looks like another great choice but only if TT trades down. It's too much of a need/reach for him at #9.

I'm convinced that the purest player with the best hands, size & speed is Jenkins. If Raji is still available that's the only player I'd want besides Jenkins with pick #9. Jenkins has his head on straight, could have been a #1 pick in '08 but stayed at OSU, probably for another championship attempt, but gained another valuable year of experience & improved his draft value considerably.

I wouldn't be upset if one of the premier OTs fell to #9 either. I've been on record before saying I could live with drafting offensive & defensive line with the first pick every year. They are the most valuable positions on your team. We all know games are won & lost in the trenches.
Yeah, I know all the FSU problems, and I know too that he has struggled against elite LT, but seeing his video amazes me. Something has to be good in FSU, and I believe it's him.
About Jenkins, I really believe he will be one of the best. Opposite qbs have only thrown at him in his junior year, and he excelled. The rest of the time they don't even dare to throw 25ft near him. But I just don't see cb as one of our needs. If we were rebuilding (again), then he would be the pick, but our defense has not played well, specially last year, and have a lot of glaring needs besides cb. I think drafting quality OLB and DT would give us the team to win it all. And the OLB are to the 3-4 what the DE are to the 4-3. Therefore the defense of the 3-4 is built by the DT and OLB...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look up the OTHER DT at Boston College. A guy named Brace. This had Ted Thompson all over it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with the assessment that Orakpo would be too slow for the 3-4 at OLB. He could however beef up to make the DE. As far as CB's are concerned, the four-letter (year after year) says the Packers NEED a cornerback as their first pick in each draft - all the damn time. I'm pretty much sick of it. We have proof that Tramon Williams can and probably will step in for Al Harris when the time comes. Pat Lee was drafted last year, but got hurt. Still, he came in with good marks and should be slated for the other CB slot. Woodson should have another season or two left in him - won't know til it's time to play a real game, tho'

Our needs are up front for punching thru, getting to the QB and stopping Offenses before they get started. Last year Rodgers got us in winning position only to have the Defense hand it back to the opponent how many times? Let's not forget the several games where Special Teams couldn't make a lousy FG to wrap it up, either.

THOSE are the needs we have guys ..... not yet another cornerback.... not right off - maybe 6th or 7th round, possibly.

Totally agree with the Ron Brace thought, Net ... spot on. Some Mocks have Raji going to Seattle - but, we'll see.

Members online

Latest posts