Nathaniel Hackett to the Raiders?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

Hackett interviewed for the Falcons HC opening last year. The only likely HC opening will be the Raiders....and maybe Dolphins and Bears as darkhorse possibilities. The Packers had the #1 Offense last year, and I'm sure they'll be at least Top 10 this year. Since Raiders are in the AFC, we won't have to worry too much about a HC Hackett derailing our Super Bowl chances.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While they won't all open, the following teams all have a fairly decent chance of being in the market for a new coach:

-Minnesota
-Chicago
-Cincinnati
-New York (G)
-Houston
-Tennessee
-Jacksonville
-Denver
-Arizona

There's very little chance that there will only be 1-2 openings. There's plenty of time left in the season for promising starts to fall apart.

Hackett will be in the hopper with names like Brian Daboll, Joe Brady, Eric Bieniemy, Mike McDaniel, Todd Bowles, Joe Woods, Kellen Moore, Byron Leftwich, and certainly some other names that aren't coming to mind or haven't emerged.

I can't imagine that Hackett would be the #1 target, given that he isn't the primary designer or play caller of Green Bay's offense.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, not mid-season, but he definitely will get interviews to at least half those teams you mentioned. Even before the Gruden Scandal, I knew this was his last year in Green Bay.

Not to mention, one of the most attractive CFB programs in the nation, USC will be looking for a new coach. But I doubt Hackett goes that route; unless the money is just too good to pass up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No, not mid-season, but he definitely will get interviews to at least half those teams you mentioned. Even before the Gruden Scandal, I knew this was his last year in Green Bay.

Not to mention, one of the most attractive CFB programs in the nation, USC will be looking for a new coach. But I doubt Hackett goes that route; unless the money is just too good to pass up.

Maybe I will be surprised, but I don't think he will be as hot a candidate as the media thinks. I'm not saying he won't get interest, or even a job, but it seems like there are some names that will be in higher demand-- Daboll and Brady especially.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hackett's "unsexiness" is what makes him ****. He is a no frills option but when you're an OC for a team with 12+ wins 3 years in a row, with a league leading offense that's hard to pass up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It might become easier to pass up when you consider that the head coach and the HOF QB have considerably more to do with the offense than he does.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would the Packers allow a coach to leave in mid-season? It seems reasonable that their contracts would prohibit bailing out mid-season leaving the team with a nasty vacancy. Most head coach vacancies in mid-season are filled internally to avoid team hopping by coaches. Hackett may be a contender once the season is over.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thread by no means is insinuating Hackett being hired mid-season. I just assumed that would be a universal understanding.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LeFleur called all of the plays last season. I know that he discussed possibly handing over the duties to Hackett this year, but did he? My gut is that Matty Nice is still calling the plays. If that is the case, I am not sure what is on Hackett's recent resume that screams "head coaching candidate."

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Dallas OC Kellen Moore or the Bill's OC Brian Daboll would be my guess for the top of any list.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the only damning material to come out of an investigation into the Redskins is about Jon Gruden?

Seems like he's the fall guy.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, LeFleur called plays for what....1 year? And look where he's at now. I feel play calling experience is overrated. Hackett did call plays in the preseason with Getsy right? As long as Hackett hires a guy who has playcalling experience wouldn't that address any concerns? Hell, maybe he hires Getsy as his OC on a potential Raiders staff.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point.

My thinking is that someone would have to have a good understanding of what Hackett brings to the table. He doesn't have play-calling experience in the NFL that I am aware of. So to Favre>Rodgers259 point, he could hire a capable OC and DC. This would then lead to the question, what about his resume makes another franchise think that he has the leadership/management qualities to be a head coach. I really don't know the answer to that question. If Hackett were excelling at managing the offense in some capacity that is abundantly apparent to the Raiders or another franchise, that would make a difference.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might become easier to pass up when you consider that the head coach and the HOF QB have considerably more to do with the offense than he does.
I'm in agreement. He'll probably get some looks but I would think Bienemy or others would be on top of the Raiders list.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point El Guapo. It is possible that there are some tangible and intangibles he may have for HC. I think there's always a proclivity to gravitate towards the hot O coord or D coord, who call their own plays, but some of these other coaches, who may not call plays, may have qualities of a HC who can then hire the coordinators and focus on the HC duties. It'll take a few teams to buck the trend before it becomes the norm, but anything is possible.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For reasons I won't say here, it appears Bienemy is blackballed by the NFL. I'd say there are a dozen coaches who've been hired as HCs over him that never deserved the opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the USC job(if offered) and never returned to the NFL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For reasons I won't say here, it appears Bienemy is blackballed by the NFL. I'd say there are a dozen coaches who've been hired as HCs over him that never deserved the opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the USC job(if offered) and never returned to the NFL.

There's been hesitance around Bieniemy because of a series of incidents in his past such as so many moving violations that his license was suspended, driving drunk, and harassing (and allegedly assaulting) a parking attendant to the point that he got banned from Colorado's campus. Teams are understandably reticent to make him the public-facing figure of their franchise.

Because our society has lost its ever-loving mind, most of the commentary around this has been about how the above are just excuses and it's really that everyone and everything is racist. Which is obviously ********.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't be the first HC to have a history, and this is the stuff we DO KNOW. How many law enforcement agencies have looked the other way or swept things under the rug for other coaches? They may be million dollar coaches, but they're still human and part of a very much machismo culture....mistakes will be made. Look no further than Gruden and Urban Meyer as of recent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He wouldn't be the first HC to have a history, and this is the stuff we DO KNOW. How many law enforcement agencies have looked the other way or swept things under the rug for other coaches? They may be million dollar coaches, but they're still human and part of a very much machismo culture....mistakes will be made. Look no further than Gruden and Urban Meyer as of recent.

Mere fabricated speculation motivated by a desire to frame the narrative around ethnicity. This is my point-- there's an obvious and clear reason for the reticence around Bieniemy and it's totally ignored in favor of a much more marketable (but totally unsubstantiated) theory about the amount of melanin in his skin.

Accusing people of ethnic prejudice without evidence is evil.

And by the way, I am not saying that Bieniemy should never have a head coaching job. When the Packers were in the market, he was on my short list of names and I liked. Like you said, people can make mistakes and grow past them. That doesn't mean that past mistakes can't be the cause of current hesitance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts