My upset pick of the week - History repeats itself...

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may not be a "upset" pick of the week, but the 49ers will BEAT the Giants in a critical match.

Here is why:

The 2011 49er's team eerily remind me of the Super Bowl Champions 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They have STIFLING defense by holding opponents to a league LOW 14.8 pts/game (118 all season). Their offense is slightly better than the 2002 Buccaneers, but not by much.

They are also number # 1 in rush defense.

Here are notable wins that stick out from their 7-1 season: the Bengals (6-2), the Lions (6-2), Buccaneers (4-4).

It is not that they just "won" these games, but they clearly dominated these games defensively and by feeding the ball to Frank Gore.

Eli Manning is having a great season (especially if you play against the 32nd Patriots defense), but a team with the better hard hitting defense and great run game usually wins the game.

Expect a dominant performance by the 49ers to set the tone that they will be considered elite.

I'm not worried as a Packer fan though, because we have no fear. GO PACK GO!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Thats not an upset.

Tampa Bay over Houston would be a decent upset though.

This Niners team does not remind me of the Tampa Bay team that Dungy built/came close with and Gruden won it all with either.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Not so much the caliber of the 2002 Tampa Bay team.

Tampa Bay had a better offense, than these 49ers do I believe.

But also, I love the 2002 Tampa Bay team. Because they got swept by the Saints and still won the Super Bowl, after getting swept LOL for some reason that was just hilarious that year. Win the Super Bowl but they couldn't beat an average 8-8 divisional opponent. Also that is your proof that no matter how bad a team is, and how good you are, Divisional games are something you should always take seriously.

Members online

Latest posts