60) Dallas: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
61) Indianapolis: Cody Prewitt, S, Ole Miss
62) Green Bay: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
63) Seattle: Donovan Smith, RT, Penn State
64) New England: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I d be happy with marcus peters in 1st and Stephone anthony in 2nd. Although a trade back to early 2nd to make it it Quentin Rollins and anthony would be better I think.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want Peters, don't think Anthony will be available at that position. My 2 cents.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're to get both a LB and CB out of the top names at those positions that have been discussed here, IMO we'll have to trade up in the 2nd round. I don't feel any of the above names will be available at #62.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of posters on this forum get their underwear in a bunch with anybody who has any types of "character concerns", but I'm not ready to dismiss Peters because of his lack of maturity. All fans should look back to the 2011 NFL Draft. The Packers needed an outside linebacker to start opposite Clay Matthews (and still do to this day). The Packers were linked to Justin Houston, but character concerns saw him fall to the third round. All his done in the last four season is accumulate 48.5 sacks. In that draft, the Packers sandwiched OT Derrick Sherrod (1st round) and RB Alex Green (3rd round) between an excellent second round pick (Randall Cobb).

H

HardRightEdge

So, the Packers will spend a 1st. round pick on a player known for sideline tantrums and confrontations with coaches, including a choking incident according to one report? He's more of an Al Davis personality; he's out of Oakland, and is being mentored by Marshawn Lynch, another Oakland guy. Peters strikes me as a guy who would fit better in a unit where "individual expression", to use a euphemism, is tolerated.

Is Peters truly contrite, or has he just learned techniques from a master of working the fine line between what you can get away with and what you can't? And how might he behave if he ends up sitting on the bench behind Hayward for some period?

On talent alone, he'd be a high value pick. I suppose it's possible, with Whitt playing "cornerback whisperer", but I find it unlikely. While the Packers have shown some tolerance for guys with drug and domestic abuse issues, I can't think of an instance where disruption of the "process" has been tolerated in a player not already an All Pro, and even then there were limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Don't want Peters, don't think Anthony will be available at that position. My 2 cents.
I agree that's likely the case. But I'm reminded of Burfict, a 1st. round projection after his sophomore season, who was benched for run-ins with coaches. He ended up falling all the way to UDFA, though his Combine, bad interviews, and positive marijuana test, were big factors.

It's interesting to note that one of Burfict's blow-ups at Arizona surrounded the coaches calling him out for his high number of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls. Peters too, according one report, had a sideline meltdown after being pulled from a game for an unsportsmanlike call.

So, Burfict goes to Cincinnati. They let Burfict be Burfict, he makes the Pro Bowl, and he still racks up a lot of unsportsmanlike calls. Claims are made he intentionally tries to injure opponents.

New Orleans has interviewed Peters.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather see TT trade up and take Kevin Johnson if he's going to go corner. I don't mind a guy having a little edge to him but way to many people on here act like everyone on the packers roster was a saint in college smh. That's not why I wouldn't take Peters, it's because I think Johnson is going to be the better player.

H

HardRightEdge

Id rather see TT trade up and take Kevin Johnson if he's going to go corner. I don't mind a guy having a little edge to him but way to many people on here act like everyone on the packers roster was a saint in college smh. That's not why I wouldn't take Peters, it's because I think Johnson is going to be the better player.
It's not really about being a saint, or wanting to see a round peg jammed into a square hole in some kind of boot camp organization, which the Packers do not appear to be.

Many of the best island corners have been mercurial, emotive, combative and/or self-promoting personalities. The island is a one-on-one responsibility, played in a fishbowl. Some measure of an "I take on all comers" attitude, with a healthy emphasis on the "I", often comes with the territory. You would have certainly seen some of that in Woodson. And whatever beefs he might have had with Capers they were kept private...until his post-Kaepernick-jaunt-fest comments about the failure to make defensive adjustments. We know what happened after that.

The line is drawn in terms of where that energy and ego is directed. So long as it's at the opponent, and the player walks the walk, I'm fine with it, just as I was perfectly fine with Sherman's post game verbal b*tch slapping of Crabtree because he walked the walk.

But when a player publicly takes on a coach, or even if it's done in front of teammates, there's a serious issue to consider.

You might have to tolerate a Pro Bowler or an All Pro saying stuff in the press you'd rather not hear, but taking on a rookie with a history of public displays of defiance should be approached with extreme caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Goldman is there, I think we absolutely go with the best CB or ILB available (Whichever is highest on our board)

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not really about being a saint, or wanting to see a round peg jammed into a square hole in some kind of boot camp organization, which the Packers do not appear to be.

Many of the best island corners have been mercurial, emotive, combative and/or self-promoting personalities. The island is a one-on-one responsibility, played in a fishbowl. Some measure of an "I take on all comers" attitude, with a healthy emphasis on the "I", often comes with the territory. You would have certainly seen some of that in Woodson. And whatever beefs he might have had with Capers they were kept private...until his post-Kaepernick-jaunt-fest comments about the failure to make defensive adjustments. We know what happened after that.

The line is drawn in terms of where that energy and ego is directed. So long as it's at the opponent, and the player walks the walk, I'm fine with it, just as I was perfectly fine with Sherman's post game verbal b*tch slapping of Crabtree because he walked the walk.

But when a player publicly takes on a coach, or even if it's done in front of teammates, there's a serious issue to consider.

You might have to tolerate a Pro Bowler or an All Pro saying stuff in the press you'd rather not hear, but taking on a rookie with a history of public displays of defiance should be approached with extreme caution.

I think the incident with Marcus Peters is overblown. Many of the players have said there was no physical altercation with the coaches only verbal. If Washington really had a problem with Marcus I don't believe he would've been allowed to return to preform at the Husky pro day. I do think you have to consider the fact that he has run ins with the coach, but we are talking about a top 10 pick if he doesn't have those issues.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the incident with Marcus Peters is overblown. Many of the players have said there was no physical altercation with the coaches only verbal. If Washington really had a problem with Marcus I don't believe he would've been allowed to return to preform at the Husky pro day. I do think you have to consider the fact that he has run ins with the coach, but we are talking about a top 10 pick if he doesn't have those issues.

He's definitely got all the tools.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure Stephone Anthony will be there late in the 2nd round. I think Kendricks will be the first ILB taken, then MicKinney perhaps, but Anthony will probably leap frog past Perryman and quite possibly McKinney.

If Anthony goes earlier than #62, I'd like to see the Packers draft Eli Harold. He may very well be gone by then too, and he's an OLB, but with Peppers leaving after this year (probably) and neither Neal nor Perry a solid 3-down player, he'd be a good pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know much about him....but I have seen a few people throw out Jalen Collins from LSU as a possible pick for the Pack at #30

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know much about him....but I have seen a few people throw out Jalen Collins from LSU as a possible pick for the Pack at #30

Collins would be a reach in the first round, it's possible he's still on the board at the Packers second round pick.

If Peters is still on board at #30 he will probably be the most talented guy available (except if Gregory drops as well). His dismissal at Washington is a huge red flag though and Thompson would have to be convinced he has changed since then.

H

HardRightEdge

If Washington really had a problem with Marcus I don't believe he would've been allowed to return to preform at the Husky pro day.
First, teams don't throw star players off the team for one misstep. There would have been a pattern of behavior; the coach said as much.

Peters apologized to the coaches. He's following the script. Whether it's genuine, or just what's necessary to enhance earning power, who knows. People like to give second chances if you give them some kind of reason to do so; sometimes they just don't want to appear mean spirited in the face of apology.

I wouldn't rule him out, but without being in the interview room you'd have a hard time getting as sense of whether the guy has "matured" or whether he's just following Lynch's advice as to how the work the system.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, you have it backwards Rodell. Way too many people here seem to think that character flaws and team chemistry risks shouldn't carry much weight into who Thompson brings into the locker room.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, you have it backwards Rodell. Way too many people here seem to think that character flaws and team chemistry risks shouldn't carry much weight into who Thompson brings into the locker room.

It didn't with Johnny Jolly or Guion did it? I seem to recall both guys having off field issues and then getting resigned! In fact, before jolly came out there were some red flags on him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe a lot people just think it is hard to dismiss a twenty-year old kid for getting into an argument with his coach. That is why the NFL draft process takes so long and involves so many interviews. People mature. They get a chance to explain the situation and circumstances.

A lot of really good players, such as Dez Bryant and Randy Moss, had "character flaws" in college and went on to have extremely productive professional careers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any GM who dismisses a player simply because of his baggage is not doing his due diligence in most cases. I don't think there is a GM in the league that would not consider a potential all pro over most infractions. Obviously some GMs are willing to overlook more than others. TT seems to be more cautious than many others but he will look at each individual and decide whether the player's potential on the field is outweighed by potential negative ramifications. Some infractions obviously are more egregious than others and I am sure there are some things a particular GM would steer clear of but the general fact is the better the player the more likely any given infraction will be overlooked. I think that holds true for any GM, even Ted.

If this Petty kid (QB I have been hearing about) had Jameis Winston's rap sheet, or alleged rap sheet, he would probably be looking at a 6th or 7th round flyer or UDFA. Winston may be the first player taken. If a player with top 10 talent drops to #30 you can be sure that Ted will have interviewed this kid extensively and if he thinks the transgressions are in the past he will jump all over him and keep his fingers crossed. At least that is what will happen if Ted is doing his job.

In fact these are the guys you should be talking to and looking hard at as they are the ones likely to slip. No sense getting all up in arms wondering do I take a chance on Leonard Williams if he drops because chances of him dropping are pretty much nil but a guy like Randy Gregory, there is a possibility he might because of the drug stuff.

Last edited:

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it could take some type of trade to get a good CB and ILB. I could see TT trading back from 30 to like 36, and moving up from 62 to the mid 50's. I would like to get a combo of Byron Jones(cb) and Paul Dawson. Any combo of the top 5 CB's and LB's would make me happy........i'm using Mike Mayock's list. I heard Eddie Goldman interview on the radio yesterday...he sounds impressive too.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both of these guys, i've been looking at Byron Jones out of UConn, he looks good too. Teams simply don't throw at Jones' side in games, plus his workout number's are great.
I'm sure Peters can play, but as someone mentioned above, Marshon Lynch is his mentor, uh yea, i'm not keen on that. Lynch can play, but I wouldn't give him credit on how to handle things in life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think it could take some type of trade to get a good CB and ILB. I could see TT trading back from 30 to like 36, and moving up from 62 to the mid 50's. I would like to get a combo of Byron Jones(cb) and Paul Dawson. Any combo of the top 5 CB's and LB's would make me happy........i'm using Mike Mayock's list. I heard Eddie Goldman interview on the radio yesterday...he sounds impressive too.

Byron Jones is an intriguing prospect who's an amazing athlete. The Packers don't have a need for an ILB like Dawson though who can't cover RBs and TEs one-on-one.

Staff online

Members online