My First Guess at Opening Day Roster

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Barring any trades or significant pickups this is my guess at the roster... Bodiford is let go with Blackmon and Clowney as returners.

That was the hardest decision on the roster Bodiford/ Clowney and cutting or putting Underwood on PUP over Manuel.

Other possiblilty is a DT (Cole or Williams) are traded opening up another spot for Underwood or Pope.

QB
4 Brett Favre QB
12 Aaron Rodgers QB
10 Paul Thompson QB

RB
32 Brandon Jackson RB
23 Noah Herron RB
34 Vernand Morency RB

FB
35 Korey Hall FB
40 Brandon Miree FB (replaced with Pickup)

WR
85 Greg Jennings WR
82 Ruvell Martin WR
18 Carlyle Holiday WR
11 David Clowney WR
80 Donald Driver WR
89 James Jones WR

TE
49 Zac Alcorn TE(replaced with Pickup)
86 Donald Lee TE
88 Bubba Franks TE

OL
63 Scott Wells C
72 Jason Spitz G/C
73 Daryn Colledge G
78 Allen Barbre G
64 Tony Palmer G/C
76 Chad Clifton T
75 Tony Moll T
65 Mark Tauscher T

DT
91 Justin Harrell DT
79 Ryan Pickett DT
97 Johnny Jolly DT
90 Colin Cole DT
99 Corey Williams DT
95 Daniel Muir DT

DE
74 Aaron Kampman DE
77 Cullen Jenkins DE
94 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE
96 Michael Montgomery DE

LB
59 Tracy White LB
51 Brady Poppinga LB
50 A.J. Hawk LB
55 Desmond Bishop LB
56 Nick Barnett LB

CB
43 Patrick Dendy CB
24 Jarrett Bush CB
27 Will Blackmon CB
31 Al Harris CB
41 Frank Walker CB
21 Charles Woodson CB

S
22 Marquand Manuel S
37 Aaron Rouse S
20 Atari Bigby S
36 Nick Collins S

Special Teams
2 Mason Crosby K
60 Rob Davis LS
9 Jon Ryan P

Practice Squad
Tramon Williams
Larry Birdine
Juwan Simpson
Spencer Havner

PUP/IR
Rory Johnson
P.J. Pope
Marviel Underwood
Abdul Hodge

Traded
Dave Rayner

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
wow, no Hodge on the active roster??

With his knees hurting I would tuck him away on IR for the year, let him rehab the year and prepare for 08.

I have been hearing some really good things about Bishop.

While I know it won't happen, one can't help but imagine how good we could potentially be in a 3-4 setup. But then again, imagine how we're going to be with our 4-3 setup as well! :cheerleader:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering our depth at DT, we would be leaving a lot of good players on the bench by playing a 3-4. And with Hodge hurting (putting him on IR is not a bad idea), suddenly our LB's are not so deep anymore.

I think this roster sounds just about right, although I expect Brandon Miree to stick, as he knows the offense way better than Korey Hall or any new fullback they might bring in.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think this roster sounds just about right, although I expect Brandon Miree to stick, as he knows the offense way better than Korey Hall or any new fullback they might bring in.

That I agree with... problem is "Field Mouse" can't stay healthy long enough to put that knowledge to use.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zac Alcorn is going to make the team this year. If not that'd shock me. He's the best TE the Packers currently have.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Zac Alcorn is going to make the team this year. If not that'd shock me. He's the best TE the Packers currently have.

Depends what is available to be picked up... if the Pack can find a decent Veteran TE... then they might cut the strings with Bubba instead of Zac.

I haven't seen anything that jumps out on Zac to say he is the best we have... couple of highlights here and there in TC. Maybe I am missing it.. I will try to watch for him on Saturday.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Depends what is available to be picked up... if the Pack can find a decent Veteran TE... then they might cut the strings with Bubba instead of Zac.

I haven't seen anything that jumps out on Zac to say he is the best we have... couple of highlights here and there in TC. Maybe I am missing it.. I will try to watch for him on Saturday.

The only way they keep Bubba is if they want an extra blocker. Zac has better hands than both Bubba and Donald Lee. That much I'm sure of. The way they've been talking about him on TV and the radio, leads me to believe that he's doing something to impress or we're just that bad at TE.

I hate to say it but I think we are just that bad at TE.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think we are just that bad at TE.

I am starting to agree with you here... when Joe Werner makes standout plays in camp within the TE group... we are in trouble cuz that gent is brand new to the game.

I vote bring back the U-71 package since the TE's have to block extra anyway and the TE's we have can't catch. :whippin:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Miree will be the starting Fullback and wont be replaced.

6 DT's? Daniel Muir wont make the team so thats 5 and that is still alot so 1 of the remaining may be traded.

Atari Bigby at Safety looked awful it was only 1 preseason game but he looked awful, bad, terrible, like crap, like sh@t !

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Ingle Martin will make the cut and Thompson will be a practice squader. I know Thompson has looked good and Martin poor... but theyve put some time and money into Martin and i think hell get at least another year.

and dang when you break it down like that... theres gonna be some tough choices to make. doesnt seem like we have enough spots, but thats right for sure.

where will K-rob fit in?

i think Korey Hall will make the team for special teams reasons and back up full back... not to mention hes a linebacker by trade so that helps the depth there a little too.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be MORE than happy going into the season at DT with just Harrell, Williams, Jolly and Pickett.

Trading Cole and releasing Muir so that we can carry another RB or WR.

who needs a kicker bad enough to at least give up a draft pick or trade Cole and Rayner together to someone for a better TE.

send Cole and 5th rounder to Indy for Ben Utecht?????

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score

6 DT's? Daniel Muir wont make the team so thats 5 and that is still alot so 1 of the remaining may be traded.

Atari Bigby at Safety looked awful it was only 1 preseason game but he looked awful, bad, terrible, like crap, like sh@t !

1. Miree can't stay on the field, how can you play if you are sitting in street clothes?

2. Muir will make the team, I would bet on a trade or keeping 10 before we let this kid go.. My opinion.

3. Bigby shines in camp and struggled in 1st game... after this weekend we shall see if week 1 was nervousness or if he is a practice wonder...

I am not saying I am right... just giving my opinions is all.... but I love to talk about the roster and all instead of debating past moves...

Reaction score
I agree with you that Muri will make it Pack93z. Although I think it'll be in Cole's place. I think keeping 6 DTs might be too much. Muir has a ton of potential with 4.9 40 speed and 37 bench reps, nad I think a 4 DT rotation will hold up fine. That leaves Cole out of the mix.

I'd replace the 6th DT with another LB (I think they pick one up or keep Hodge on active roster). I do like the idea of putting Hodge on IR though.

I don't know why, but I think Bodiford makes this roster. He's a good ST player, and has been taking up the L5 position which is a bit difficult. I'm starting to think we may keep 7 WRs this year (release on the WRs to make room for K-Rob).

Overall I think it's a very good job of making the roster, and I can't find a whole lot to pick at.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I agree with you that Muri will make it Pack93z. Although I think it'll be in Cole's place. I think keeping 6 DTs might be too much. Muir has a ton of potential with 4.9 40 speed and 37 bench reps, nad I think a 4 DT rotation will hold up fine. That leaves Cole out of the mix.

I'd replace the 6th DT with another LB (I think they pick one up or keep Hodge on active roster). I do like the idea of putting Hodge on IR though.

I don't know why, but I think Bodiford makes this roster. He's a good ST player, and has been taking up the L5 position which is a bit difficult. I'm starting to think we may keep 7 WRs this year (release on the WRs to make room for K-Rob).

Overall I think it's a very good job of making the roster, and I can't find a whole lot to pick at.

Well I figured that we would start the year with 10 DL players... Williams can play both the DT and DE so I thought maybe 6 interior lineman might be kept... If that is the case, you could have some valueable trade bait if needed before week 6... A stout DT like Williams or Cole to trade :thumbsup:

Bodiford vs Clowney... if they think clowney would last on the PS, Bodiford would be here. after thinking it out... I don't think Clowney will be let go because he has speed... which is something we lack on the roster at WR... just a guess... that is the tough call.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id be willing to bet that Bodiford would be safer on our Practice Squad than Clowney.

Lots of teams know about Clowney im sure and hes speedy so thats gonna bring some suitors.

Bodiford wouldnt get picked up i dont think.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
defense looks good, offense we lacking NFL experience at many skill positions. I hope some young player steps up big time

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was as down on Bigby as anyone after the Pittsburgh game, but I heard later that the coaches thought he played well for the most part. He just made a handful of really bad plays, all of which are correctable. So there still may be hope for him. He has three more preseason games to prove himself.

All three of the main candidates for starting strong safety (Manuel, Bigby, Rouse) are pretty good in run support but lousy in pass coverage. Bigby at least has the speed to make up for some of his mistakes, but as we all learned from Ahmad Carroll, if you don't have good technique in coverage, speed is not going to make up for it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO Clowney goes at least to the practice squad.

Crosby is the kicker.

Nobody will trade for Rayner, they will just wait till he is released.

As I mentioned in the Ferguson thread, sometimes you can trade a guy you're going to cut if another team is loaded at a position that is a position of need for you. Often those trades happen at the final roster cutdown. I don't know if there are any teams out there that are loaded at tight end, but if there is one, the Packers could offer a kicker and/or a DT. By trading, both teams know they will get the player they want instead of having to compete with other teams to sign the player.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree there is no way TT keeps 6 DT's especially since Jenkins moves inside a lot anyway. I think they will keep Muir and cut or trade Cole. I also think they will keep Jason Hunter as a 5th DE.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
:chalflag: Dang Edit Button.

LOL... it isn't a depth chart but I figured I better fix that....

I still stand by the 10 DL on the roster though... :)

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Okay I will edit slightly from the original..

QB
4 Brett Favre QB
12 Aaron Rodgers QB

RB
32 Brandon Jackson RB
23 Noah Herron RB
34 Vernand Morency RB * Might be on the PUP to start season.
42 DeShawn Wynn (At least to start the season or a pick up)

FB
35 Korey Hall FB
(replaced with Pickup)

WR
85 Greg Jennings WR
82 Ruvell Martin WR
18 Carlyle Holiday WR
11 David Clowney WR
80 Donald Driver WR
89 James Jones WR

TE
49 Zac Alcorn TE(replaced with Pickup)