My 2 rookies who would start from day 1..

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can't get Jadaveon Clowney then i want Anthony Barr from UCLA. I like everything about Barr and it may be more realistic to trade up and get him even if it means future picks as i have a win now/fix the problem now type mentality. Barr isn't going to warm the bench, it doesn't matter where he's drafted he's going to start from day one and that needs to be in title town on the opposite side of Clay Matthews. Barr combines a 6'4 247 lb frame with 4.4 speed which makes him one of the most explosive players in the entire draft. This is a guy who was recruited as an all american rb so this just shows the athlete he is and we need more of those especially on the defense. Barr has elite explosiveness and his long arms give him the ability to set the edge with he best of them. It's like i said before...if we need to give up some picks we need to find a way to add another explosive player to this defense because the defense is whats holding the Packers back. You all need to read up on this guy and i'm sure you will see why i'm sold on him. 13.5 sacks with 5 forced fumbles and 21 tackles for loss aint to shabby either.

I have and will continue to watch the Senior Bowl this week and i've found another guy on defense thats on my radar as day 1 starter for this defense. I would definitely take him early in the second rd even if i have to trade up to get him. This guy brings the wood and reminds me of Leroy Butler when you watch him on film. Make no mistake about it Bucannon has all the physichal tools to be a great NFL safety but physical tools don't mean jack if you can't make plays. Bucannon seems like a guy who can make plays with 3 forced fumbles, 3 recoveries, and 5 ints. Bucannon is also a guy who can play close to the LOS with 109 tackles and enough quickness and speed to run with most tightends not named Vernon Davis. AT 6'1 216 lbs with a wingspan of 78 inches you're probably looking at a safety in terms of size and physical presence who may be the best in the draft. It's nice that he runs a 4.5 fourty yard dash as well. We lack a lot at safety and everything i've seen from Bucannon pushes him up in the draft and deinitely on my radar. This gives us an option to permantly move Burnett to FS as i don't think he's that great of a tackler to be playing SS anyways. Thats where Bucannon comes in which means upgrade.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Barr is great but I don't think we should give up an entire draft or next years high picks in order to draft him. Deep draft, let's take advantage of the 9-10 picks we will have.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Barr is great but I don't think we should give up an entire draft or next years high picks in order to draft him. Deep draft, let's take advantage of the 9-10 picks we will have.

Maybe we will find the next Nick Perry, Mike Neal, Morgan Burnett or Bj Raji with all those picks! oh wait?? =/

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do the opposite and actually trade down if not out of the first round. The last time TT did that was one of his best picks....Jordy.

I trust the bears to take the worst of the safeties because their GM wants to be so out of the box that he takes huge risks. Trade them your first for their 2nd and 3rd and shea (who could thrive as a stand up olb).

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do the opposite and actually trade down if not out of the first round. The last time TT did that was one of his best picks....Jordy.

I trust the bears to take the worst of the safeties because their GM wants to be so out of the box that he takes huge risks. Trade them your first for their 2nd and 3rd and shea (who could thrive as a stand up olb).
I'm all for trading out of the 1st round and trading up using picks.
The Packers don't need 9 or 10 new bodies, they need more players.
Ted is not very successful in round 1 anyway since he is always drafting near the bottom of the round, oh snap even when he's near the top.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can trade down out of round one, gaining an extra 2nd round pick and/or 3rd, and come away with:

• SS Bucannon
  • ILB Chris Borland
  • TE Troy Niklas
  • OLB Dee Ford, Auburn or Michael Sam, Mizzou
  • WR Donte Moncreif

And 5-6 more guys in the mid-late rounds, and hope you get Teddy to find more Casey Haywards and Josh Sittons and fewer Terrell Mannings and Jerron McMillians.

Or you can do the above trade-down after you sign 1 or 2 veteran upgrades such as Bernard Pollard who will be affordable, and NFL-experienced so that they can learn Capers system and not have to first be baby-spoon-fed like they've had to do with Burnett, MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian, Sean Richardson.
It's so much more of a gamble on a rookie Safety playing right away than a savvy, NFL veteran like a Pollard or Whitner.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way at all we move that far up for Barr.

Bucannon, however, is a real possibility. I'm not entirely convinced he'll still be on the board in the 2nd though. Being the best SS prospect means he's probably not going to be drafted where he's actually valued rather some team in need is going to reach on him. Still, I'm optimistic we can land him or Pryor.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or we could find a Julio Jones like player by mortgaging the draft, get old quickly, lack depth, and fall out of contention.

The Packers are one of the youngest teams in the NFL number one, and secondly as long as you have a player of Aaron Rodgers caliber you will never fall out of contention. Nice try tho.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can trade down out of round one, gaining an extra 2nd round pick and/or 3rd, and come away with:

• SS Bucannon
  • ILB Chris Borland
  • TE Troy Niklas
  • WR Donte Moncreif

And 5-6 more guys in the mid-late rounds, and hope you get Teddy to find more Casey Haywards and Josh Sittons and fewer Terrell Mannings and Jerron McMillians.

Or you can do the above trade-down after you sign 1 or 2 veteran upgrades such as Bernard Pollard who will be affordable, and NFL-experienced so that they can learn Capers system and not have to first be baby-spoon-fed like they've had to do with Burnett, MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian, Sean Richardson.
It's so much more of a gamble on a rookie Safety playing right away than a savvy, NFL veteran like a Pollard or Whitner.

I like Borland. I like guys who just line up and play football and Borland is good enough to come in and get a lot of playing time.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are one of the youngest teams in the NFL number one, and secondly as long as you have a player of Aaron Rodgers caliber you will never fall out of contention. Nice try tho.

Wouldn't you say the same thing if you had Julio, Roddy, and Matt Ryan? That trade is the perfect representation of why making such bold moves usually hurts the team in the long run. Because of that trade, the Falcons have one of the worst O- and D-lines in the league - which are positions where depth is often drafted in middle rounds (see Bak, Sitton, Lang, and Daniels). Trading up in the first round to the Barr range is absolutely asinine.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

• SS Bucannon
  • ILB Chris Borland
  • TE Troy Niklas
  • WR Donte Moncreif

If we got that trading down that'd be a home run for sure, although I think the Packers can do better at ILB than Chris Borland in the early rounds. He's a mid-rounder. We could get someone like Yawin Smallwood who has a lot more upside than Borland. Substitute Smallwood in that bunch and we'd be singing Happy Days.

If we traded back our #1 for a 2nd and 3rd rounder, we could get Bucannon and Smallwood in the 2nd, Dee Ford and either Niklas or Moncrief in the 3rd. Can't argue with that.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If we traded back our #1 for a 2nd and 3rd rounder, we could get Bucannon and Smallwood in the 2nd, Dee Ford and either Niklas or Moncrief in the 3rd. Can't argue with that.
Be still my racing heart. One can dream right?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My pesonal draft has us taking Borland in the 3rd. He may go sooner but if the guy was 6'1 he would prolly go in the first round. Thats the only knock on him.. but football is a game of more then just height or a 40 yard dash. I wouldn't be upset with a Borland/Hawk ilb tandem with Lattimore sprinkled in. We need more guys who like and want to make tackles. OLB is where we need more speed and athleticism. I've heard scouts compare him to a mini luke Kuechley (spelling)?? well he's one of the top 3 ilbs in all of football soo....

H

HardRightEdge

If we got that trading down that'd be a home run for sure, although I think the Packers can do better at ILB than Chris Borland in the early rounds. He's a mid-rounder. We could get someone like Yawin Smallwood who has a lot more upside than Borland. Substitute Smallwood in that bunch and we'd be singing Happy Days.

I note there's no D-Linemen in this group. I'd be shocked and amazed if we did not take one in the first 2 rounds.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My pesonal draft has us taking Borland in the 3rd. ....
I love Borland, and he is going to be a good middle linebacker right out the bat. Immediately.
First game.

This, from Day-2 of practice down at the Senior Bowl.

Wisconsin's Chris Borland compared to Panthers' Luke Kuechly
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...panthers-luke-kuechly?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

QUOTE:
.... Chris Borland was the Big Ten's defensive player of the year and ....but his lack of size is an issue for (SOME DUMB) NFL scouts.
Borland measured 5-foot-11 and 243 pounds at Monday's Reese's Senior Bowl weigh-in and he won't blow anyone away with his 40 time. But ...... Mike Mayock said Tuesday on NFL Network that scouts need to put away their prejudices about measurables when it comes to Borland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...panthers-luke-kuechly?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Mayock called Borland "as fun a guy to watch on tape as I have ever seen" and praised his instincts and quickness. He compared Borland to former Dolphins LB Zach Thomas and a "sawed-off" (ie shorter) Luke Kuechly. While Mayock admitted the measurables aren't necessarily there, he said he "wouldn't let this kid get out of the second round."

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they are one of the youngest teams because they don't trade up much. As far as 'as long as you have AR. . . ' thinking - wait - I thought we weren't contenders because we don't sign FAs and the 49ers do and therefore we won't contend anyway.

As far as Barr goes, here is the short history of top 10 LB picks:

2006 AJ Hawk, Ernie Simms
2007 None
2008 Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo
2009 Aaron Curry
2010 Rolando McClain
2011 Von Miller
2012 Luke Kuechly
2013 None (one of the DEs may be playing OLB - I'm not sure)

Anyhow, I see Kuechly, Miller, and Mayo as being worthy of the top 10 pick status. Hawk has been solid, the rest are kind of busts. We shall see how good Miller is now that he is being deprived of his PEDs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take basically our entire draft to move up far enough to take either guy, and OLB isn't nearly the need that safety is.

A more realistic possibility would be to move up into the middle of the 1st to take Clinton-Dix or Mosley if either are available at that point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love Borland, and he is going to be a good middle linebacker right out the bat. Immediately.
First game.

This, from Day-2 of practice down at the Senior Bowl.

Wisconsin's Chris Borland compared to Panthers' Luke Kuechly

I told two people I would love to see Borland in the GnG

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just pointing out a trade up is not guaranteed to work out like your thread is assuming a trade up for Barr would.

Julio Jones is good, but it left many other areas of the Falcons weaker and we need help almost everywhere on defense, not just at OLB.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we can't get Jadaveon Clowney then i want Anthony Barr from UCLA. I like everything about Barr and it may be more realistic to trade up and get him even if it means future picks as i have a win now/fix the problem now type mentality. Barr isn't going to warm the bench, it doesn't matter where he's drafted he's going to start from day one and that needs to be in title town on the opposite side of Clay Matthews. Barr combines a 6'4 247 lb frame with 4.4 speed which makes him one of the most explosive players in the entire draft. This is a guy who was recruited as an all american rb so this just shows the athlete he is and we need more of those especially on the defense. Barr has elite explosiveness and his long arms give him the ability to set the edge with he best of them. It's like i said before...if we need to give up some picks we need to find a way to add another explosive player to this defense because the defense is whats holding the Packers back. You all need to read up on this guy and i'm sure you will see why i'm sold on him. 13.5 sacks with 5 forced fumbles and 21 tackles for loss aint to shabby either.

Don´t waste that much time thinking about who we´re gonna trade up for. TT won´t sacrifice multiple high draft picks to trade up in the top 10 and I´m absolutely fine with that.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they are one of the youngest teams because they don't trade up much. As far as 'as long as you have AR. . . ' thinking - wait - I thought we weren't contenders because we don't sign FAs and the 49ers do and therefore we won't contend anyway.

As far as Barr goes, here is the short history of top 10 LB picks:

2006 AJ Hawk, Ernie Simms
2007 None
2008 Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo
2009 Aaron Curry
2010 Rolando McClain
2011 Von Miller
2012 Luke Kuechly
2013 None (one of the DEs may be playing OLB - I'm not sure)

Anyhow, I see Kuechly, Miller, and Mayo as being worthy of the top 10 pick status. Hawk has been solid, the rest are kind of busts. We shall see how good Miller is now that he is being deprived of his PEDs.

Never said we weren't contenders..please don't put words in my mouth. What i did say is that it's been hard to contend with teams like San Francisco and Seattle because of the talent gap. It's ok to sign free agents if it improves your team.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't you say the same thing if you had Julio, Roddy, and Matt Ryan? That trade is the perfect representation of why making such bold moves usually hurts the team in the long run. Because of that trade, the Falcons have one of the worst O- and D-lines in the league - which are positions where depth is often drafted in middle rounds (see Bak, Sitton, Lang, and Daniels). Trading up in the first round to the Barr range is absolutely asinine.

Has rodell once...ever...even one time admitted to being wrong OR even attempted to acknowledge the opposite side of any point of view? He## no! Why would he start now? Like I said, he is the classic prototypical arm chair GM. Beyond that, it's become more than evident he may be the least analytical person in the history of sports forums.

It's really not even worth the effort any more to attempt to explain anything to "the dude". He'll just reply with gems like this: "What i did say is that it's been hard to contend with teams like San Francisco and Seattle because of the talent gap." .....ummmm ya.... and then he votes that he'd rather have the Packers results than the niners the past 5 years. lol

honestly rodell...it's over...game-set-match on your major anti-Ted diatribes and your hatred for the guy. For God's sake, even you don't agree with you! Just ask you! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts