Muhammad Wilkerson????

H

HardRightEdge

No reason to bicker over where he stands between Daniels and Clark. It makes Lowry depth in a 3 man line and provides more for a 4 man dline. Overall Wilkerson makes us much better.
None of those 4 players is an edge rusher no matter how you rotate them or line them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don' like wht FA has to offer for CBs.

Surprisingly I have to disagree here. ;) There are several good veteran cornerbacks available this offseason which could even result in the Packers being able to sign one of them to a reasonable deal. Unfortunately there aren't any impact edge rushers headed towards free agency.

Even if Cobb stays at his current number the moves with nelson/cm3 should get gute an additional 20 mil in cap space to work with giving him over 26 million to work with.

There's absolutely zero chance the Packers could create an additional $20 million of cap space by restructuring the contracts of Matthews and Nelson.

I'm not enough of an insider to know, so I'd appreciate someone pointing out what incentives can be included that are acceptable/useful to both sides. On the player's side, especially defensive, the scheme, surrounding players, the opposing team's approach, and your coaches could lower the incentive pay, regardless of your potential production. From the team's end, the player could concentrate on the incentive to the detriment of overall play (e.g., incentives for sacks/hurries might result in big holes for the run game). Looking either for some good theoretical incentives or, even better, any that have been in actual contracts (CaptWIMM? :))

As far as I know there aren't any restrictions on what performance incentives are allowed in a contract. One thing to consider is that unlikely to be earned incentives don't count against the cap and the Packers could use that to their advantage after Wilkerson only posted only 46 tackles and 3.5 sacks last season. In addition that is true for team performance incentives as well which would allow Gutekunst to circumvent the salary cap both while signing free agents as well as restructuring existing contracts.

The problem is that game day roster or other incentive bonuses count against the cap and then recaptured later if not paid. Needless to say, players don't like these provisions because their paycheck is at the whim of his coaches. Losing season? Bench the guy to save cap. So there's not much in the way of free lunch incentives in limiting cap to do other things this season.

Incentives deemed as unlikely to be earned (based on the performance of a team or a player during the previous season) don't count against a team's cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

What about likely to be earned?

Likely to be earned incentives count against the cap. But once again the Packers could offer players an incentive for making the playoffs in 2018 which wouldn't count against the cap. With Wilkerson bonuses for 4+ sacks or 50+ tackles wouldn't result in a cap hit either.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson got in last night and had dinner with the staff. Is visiting the facility today according to pft. Seems like the team views him as a priority and is doing their homework.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wilkerson got in last night and had dinner with the staff. Is visiting the facility today according to pft. Seems like the team views him as a priority and is doing their homework.
Let's hope he set 3 different alarms and also made sure to ask the hotel for a wakeup call. :coffee:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likely to be earned incentives count against the cap. But once again the Packers could offer players an incentive for making the playoffs in 2018 which wouldn't count against the cap. With Wilkerson bonuses for 4+ sacks or 50+ tackles wouldn't result in a cap hit either.

Thanks, Cap. One more; does guaranteed money count vs the cap- such as signing bonuses being prorated- or is that just between the team and player?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was funny driving home and listening to local sports radio. Guy texted(?) Hosts saying he sat next to MW on the plane. Said Murphy was seated behind. Found out they were going to dinner that evening. Hosts began speculating where they may go. Suspect they were hoping fans would go out and be on the lookout. Text em updates on his movements. Only in Green Bay.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year Wilkerson had 3.5 sacks 26 tackles and a int. In 13 games. 4.5 sacks 33 tackles and a ff in 2016. In 15 games. So that's average of 4 sacks, 29.5 tackles and a turnover... mind you this is him sucking in new York...
Daniels average over the last two years.
4.5 sacks. Same 29.5 tackles, and no turnovers forced...
Clark just counting his big breakout year and not his rookie year... 4.5 sacks , 32 tackles and 2 ff.......

I for one am shocked a NT wouldn't have the sack numbers that Wilkerson does.

Watch the tape. Realize these guys have different roles. Please. The stats aren't always comparable.

H

HardRightEdge

Incentives deemed as unlikely to be earned (based on the performance of a team or a player during the previous season) don't count against a team's cap.
If a player earns a bonus that is deemed "unlikely to be earned", that bonus is charged against the cap at the end of the season. From a 2 year perspective, it's all the same: if a bonus is earned it counts against the cap; if it isn't earned then it doesn't.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson isn't a true edge, at all. But at his full potential, he's a rare player who can provide a very good pass rush at the 3/5T. Raw talent, he's better than Daniels...when he's trying. Having him in a rotation with Daniels, Clark, and Lowry would be excellent for our defense. Even if we get edge pressure, if we don't have interior pressure, the QB can just step on up. Interior pressure is king.

We only want Daniels and Clark playing 50-65% of snaps, tbh. Any more than that and you're going to see some decline. If you can have a high end rotation going on, you do it, as long as the money works out. Plus, Wilkerson is positionally versatile, and we should all know how valuable that is.

The question isn't scheme fit, the question is money and whether he's going to give effort or not.

H

HardRightEdge

hmmm i guess I thought he played End in Pettine's 4-3 but he did play tackle.
Wilkerson is 6'4" and 315 lbs. It does not take much thought or research to know he's a between-the-tackles player. 3-4 DE? Sure. That's an entirely different animal.

H

HardRightEdge

Wilkerson isn't a true edge, at all. But at his full potential, he's a rare player who can provide a very good pass rush at the 3/5T. Raw talent, he's better than Daniels...when he's trying. Having him in a rotation with Daniels, Clark, and Lowry would be excellent for our defense.
I see that and mentioned it. It's a luxury you cannot afford.

H

HardRightEdge

so you're basically suggesting that a Wilkerson signing wouldn't really improve the defense much?

Another FA question: how about Donte Moncrief?
I spend little time any more evaluating the universe of possibilities, whether it's FA or the draft. If the Packers bring in Moncrief to kick the tires I'd look into the matter.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone can edit wiki. I could change it to the Bears in a minute or two. Wiki watches and figures out who is full of ship and who provides good info..

oh right i was just saying because it didnt read that when i looked.

Members online