Most Controversial Thing Ever!!!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Ok so obviously the whole Brett Favre going to the Viqueens would be the most controversial thing for us, BUT I was wondering in the history of the Packers what else was/is a big controversy???

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno if this fits in with the topic, but I read that the Packers were so bad just before Vince came along that they were actually considering folding for good.
Does anyone know if that is a true fact or just a rumor?

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
what exactly happened with him? i was a freshman in high school when i remember watching him play and he was really good

Held out of training camp, was scolded by Lord Favre (though I agreed with him), pretty much demanded to be traded and his wish came true when we dumped him on Denver's lap in the draft. He thought he was such hot sh*t, but he underestimated the value of a quarterback who can throw to you.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Held out of training camp, was scolded by Lord Favre (though I agreed with him), pretty much demanded to be traded and his wish came true when we dumped him on Denver's lap in the draft. He thought he was such hot sh*t, but he underestimated the value of a quarterback who can throw to you.
yeah i just read up on him on wikipedia. he had one good year in denver and nothing since then.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last year Holgrem coached and how it was rumored he was leaving was a pretty big thing at the time.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Tony Mandarich. Not his being drafted in the 1st round. But, the whole 'roid thing afterwards.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting topic. You really have to dig deep to find a genuine controversy in Packerland. This is why I love this team, we don't have all that nonsense. The issues you cats have posted, although some of them were rather unpleasant, I would not entitle them to full blown controversy status. The Favre crisis is the closest thing to a full blown controversy I think we've ever had. Perhaps because it struck many of us on a personal level. Aside from that, I really think we are blessed to NOT have had any real controversies. We don't have spygate (freakin Patriots), or a T.O. in residence, or even a quarterback controversy (Eagles and many others). Overall we can consider ourselves lucky. We don't need all that!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of what I consider minor controversies not yet mentioned:

Mike McKenzie threw a hissy fit that got him a ticket out of town. That turned out to be a good thing because it convinced Harlan Sherman shouldn’t be both head coach and GM. Take a look at Sherman’s last draft in 2004 for confirmation: First rounder: Ahmad Carroll; third rounders: Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, and BJ Sander; sixth rounder Corey Williams and seventh rounder Scott Wells. The last two picks saved it from being a complete disaster, but Sherman had no business being GM. He never prepared for that job (as Thompson has). IMO it wasn't his fault it was offered to him - it was Harlan's and Wolf's fault for going along with it.

Speaking of that draft, Ahmad Carroll got in a fist fight with fellow draftee Joey Thomas (I think that’s who it was) before both were eventually shown the door.

And for me, Forrest Gregg’s tenure as head coach was a “controversy” – his going along with the “towel hit list” led to Charles Martin’s mugging of McMahon. Of course like all good Packers fans, I “hate” the bears but I thought Gregg was “thuggish” and lacked class as head coach.

I’ve read some Packers fans think Lombardi’s leaving for Washington was somehow analogous to Favre’s departure but I strongly disagree with that. Lombardi was burned out after winning three titles in a row and promoted Bengston (his defensive coordinator) to head coach while he stayed on as GM. He didn’t want to intrude on Bengston and staying away from the players was killing him. Washington offered him an ownership share and to be fair to Bengston (and not take the coaching job back in Green Bay) he went to Washington. By the way, all Packers fans should know Lombardi was head coach for 9 years and that he was a fantastic coach, but I don’t see it mentioned often that Lombardi’s Packers won 5 titles in 7 years!

I’m old but not so old as to have been around during Lambeau’s time in Green Bay or in the NFL. From what I’ve read and heard, Curly’s departure from Green Bay comes closest to Favre’s as being controversial. But definitely for this Packers fan, Farve’s departure and conduct thereafter are the most controversial since Lombardi’s arrival. By far. And it will be a very long time (if ever) before I forgive him for that.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Lofton ra_pe allegations, found not guilty... but still sent packing to the LA Raiders.

Then, in mid-career, Lofton faced a major challenge. Twice, in October of 1984 and December of 1986, he was accused of ****** assault. Charges were dropped for lack of evidence in the first alleged incident, in which Lofton and teammate Eddie Lee Ivery were accused of assaulting an exotic dancer in a Milwaukee nightclub dressing room. The 1986 accusation, in which a Michigan woman claimed that Lofton had forced her to perform a sex act in the stairwell of a Green Bay club, went to trial. Lofton was found not guilty, but his reputation in Green Bay was damaged. "It's like what the Lakers must be thinking ... with Kobe Bryant," Packers president Bob Harlan told the Wisconsin State Journal. "It's devastating to you, to your organization and to the league." Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders for the 1987 season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Lofton ra_pe allegations, found not guilty... but still sent packing to the LA Raiders.

Then, in mid-career, Lofton faced a major challenge. Twice, in October of 1984 and December of 1986, he was accused of ****** assault. Charges were dropped for lack of evidence in the first alleged incident, in which Lofton and teammate Eddie Lee Ivery were accused of assaulting an exotic dancer in a Milwaukee nightclub dressing room. The 1986 accusation, in which a Michigan woman claimed that Lofton had forced her to perform a sex act in the stairwell of a Green Bay club, went to trial. Lofton was found not guilty, but his reputation in Green Bay was damaged. "It's like what the Lakers must be thinking ... with Kobe Bryant," Packers president Bob Harlan told the Wisconsin State Journal. "It's devastating to you, to your organization and to the league." Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders for the 1987 season.

Ah, yes. Back in the days where the Green Bay Packers organization was a disgrace altogether...

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Hornung, the Green Bay Packers running back who had scored an NFL record 176 points in 1960 and been named MVP in 1961, and Alex Karras, the Detroit Lions All-Pro defensive tackle, were suspended by Pete Rozelle for betting on NFL games and associating with gamblers. Hornung, said Rozelle, had bet up to $500 on NFL games, and Karras, he said, had placed at least a half dozen $50-$100 bets. Both players sat out for a full season, before being reinstated. Five other Detroit players were fined for betting on the 1962 championship game. Hornung apologized. "I made a terrible mistake," he said. "I am truly sorry." Still, he was later inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Packers were 11-2-1 in 1963, with their only two losses to the Chicago Bears. The scores of those two losses? 10-3 & 26 -7. The tie was with the Detroit lions at 13-13. Everyone agrees that Hornung would have made a difference in that first game with the Bears and the Lion tie, and the Packers would have had another World Championship.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Why do we want to have a thread that tries to dig up the negative and things better off forgotten?

It's the offseason and there's no free agency. We're bored.

The Favre fiasco was about as bad as it gets. An ugly scenario all around, for which I mostly blame Favre. McKenzie and Walker whining their way out of Green Bay was pretty dumb although I really don't think they were controversies.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
So let's have a thread like the one GreenBayGal started about Bart and Cherry Starr where we bring up and remember all of the good things that packer players/fans etc. have done instead of the negative/bad things. It's still the off-season, it still fights boredom, and it allows us to keep things on a higher level. Just sayin'