Montee Ball worked out for Packers on Friday

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
can't hurt to kick the tires and keep him in the garage if the tread looks good. Sounds like Harris won't be back and let's hope this isn't anything more then a PS move and not an indication of trouble with Lacy.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something is up with Lacy. I'm beginning to wonder if its some kind of behind the scenes drama that hasn't been leaked yet? To me, from the naked eye, it appears that he is falling out of favor with the coaching staff. I don't buy the overweight/out of shape/injury crap one bit. There is something else going on IMO. This has been going on for the whole year, sheesh!

Luckily good RB's are a dime a dozen. So it wont be any sweat off my back if Lacy's days are numbered here. Crockett looked promising and Starks is Starks. Hell, we won a damn SB with Brandon Jackson at RB. Maybe Montee Ball can bring something to the table and get revived being back in Wisconsin.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something is up with Lacy. I'm beginning to wonder if its some kind of behind the scenes drama that hasn't been leaked yet? To me, from the naked eye, it appears that he is falling out of favor with the coaching staff. I don't buy the overweight/out of shape/injury crap one bit. There is something else going on IMO. This has been going on for the whole year, sheesh!

Luckily good RB's are a dime a dozen. So it wont be any sweat off my back if Lacy's days are numbered here. Crockett looked promising and Starks is Starks. Hell, we won a damn SB with Brandon Jackson at RB. Maybe Montee Ball can bring something to the table and get revived being back in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't say that RBs are a dime in a dozen. Because remember all those years we *****ed how this team didn't have a running game and how we wished we had one. Lacy came in and got it going. Before Lacy, when was the last real good RB the Packers had? Ahmad? Levens? So if its just a curfew issue, then maybe suspend him a game, but I wouldn't cut the guy. Remember, he just ran back to back up 100yds with a **** Oline

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably just looking for a player to fill the open spot on the P.S. but it sure seems like the Packers are working out a lot of WR's. J.J. Worton is an interesting prospect, injuries keeping him from being what some projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

In addition to Ball, the Packers worked out four receivers - Jamel Johnson (Alabama State), Deon Long (Maryland), Kevin Vereen (Northern Iowa) and J.J. Worton (Central Florida) - former Miami QB Zak Dysart

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would be sweat off my back if Lacy's days are numbered. He has been absolutely critical to balancing this offense the last couple of years. It can be really easy to forget how big of a weakness our run game was for years before Lacy was drafted. Yes, we won the Super Bowl, but remember, Starks was on a real hot streak during the playoffs. Starks is really a better #2 anyway. I like him as he is, but he hasn't shown the ability to be a true #1.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be sweat off my back if Lacy's days are numbered. He has been absolutely critical to balancing this offense the last couple of years. It can be really easy to forget how big of a weakness our run game was for years before Lacy was drafted. Yes, we won the Super Bowl, but remember, Starks was on a real hot streak during the playoffs. Starks is really a better #2 anyway. I like him as he is, but he hasn't shown the ability to be a true #1.
Lacy is great when the blocking is good, but it would be nice to have a Dion Lewis/Sproles type back who would be a completely different change of pace and has the quickness to elude defenders in a way that Lacy can't.

Starks is explosive, but doesn't really possess that quality either. Crocket looks to have that ability, not quite as lightning quick but he's much bigger.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy is great when the blocking is good, but it would be nice to have a Dion Lewis/Sproles type back who would be a completely different change of pace and has the quickness to elude defenders in a way that Lacy can't.

When healthy Lacy is one of the best running backs in the league breaking tackles and making yards after contact. I wouldn't mind having a true change of pace backup to him but the Packers main focus should be to get him ready for a playoff run.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won a super bowl with Starks at rb not Brandon Jackson. And yeah we need a breakaway threat at rb to complement Lacys grind time style. The last threat to score from anywhere at rb was Ahman green and that's been awhile.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hell, we won a damn SB with Brandon Jackson at RB.
That's an interesting misstatement for a Packers fan to make and doesn't make your point RBs are a "dime a dozen": According to nfl.com, in the four 2010 postseason games, Jackson ran the ball a total of 6 times for 28 yards and caught 5 passes for 64 yards. It was Jackson’s ineffectiveness as a RB that led to fans’ “demanding” the acquisition of Lynch and Starks starting all four postseason games.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In no way are Lacy's days numbered in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barring something unforeseen, Lacy will be back as a Packer next year for the final year of his rookie contract. With that, I smell lots of off season motivation for getting into and staying in shape and a very productive 2016 contract year. I'm not giving up on him this year either, I think he still has some big games in the tank. We all know Lacy has the tools to be a top notch back, its kind of up to him at this point if he wants to be. Starks wasn't seeing a lot of yards at times this season as well, including Thursday night. So lets not put all the blame on Lacy, but some on the offensive line as well.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys really giving up on Lacy this fast? Jeeze....

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he is a kid who needs to grow up. His talent is there. Apparently, he likes to drink and go out a little too much, maybe that is the reason for the weight gain. Not really sure how much of a bad influence Alonzo Harris was on him, but he is now gone because of it so apparently the Packers thought he was a bad apple. Hopefully Lacy gets his crap together because he is a beast and we need him back in form.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. If the answer is along the lines of "he's been terrific before", then we need to re-visit those threads that involve high-priced free agents - those guys drew big bucks because of previous performance, and many of them no longer had it, for whatever reason. Sure, no reason they can't figure out what's wrong with Lacy and get him back on track, but I just wondered if there was some justification other than "I know it".

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys really giving up on Lacy this fast? Jeeze....
I wish Lacy had more heart or the professionalism to make sure he was at a weight that would benefit his playing-in all honesty, losing an extra 10-15 wouldn't hurt. But I'd much rather see a former 2nd Round receiver working out, because the passing game is what really is garbage.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not really. If the answer is along the lines of "he's been terrific before", then we need to re-visit those threads that involve high-priced free agents - those guys drew big bucks because of previous performance, and many of them no longer had it, for whatever reason. Sure, no reason they can't figure out what's wrong with Lacy and get him back on track, but I just wondered if there was some justification other than "I know it".
Here’s my justification for not giving up on Lacy:
• He’s 25-years old in his third NFL season so I don’t think his situation is analogous to high-priced UFAs.

• He revived the Packers running game by rushing for more than 1,000 yards in both of his first two NFL seasons. The Packers total rushing yards went from 20th in the league in 2012 to 7th in 2013 and 11th last season (according to nfl.com regular season stats).

• He got back on track as recently as the Vikings and Bears games by running for a combined 205 yards on 39 carries (5.3 avg.) While that’s “previous performance”, that’s very recent past performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the season ended today and Lacy's rookie contract was up, I could see the Packers giving up or low balling him on a new contract. But neither are the case and Lacy I still believe is an even better back then what we have seen. If he was running behind a healthy good O-line, he is a 1000+ yard rusher, as long as he does the work on and off the field. He has 20+ games before a decision on him will have to be made, but as I said earlier.....put some of his poor performance on the O-line, not just his bad decisions off the field.

Members online

Latest posts