Mock Offseason

D

Deleted member 6794

Signed FAs

OLB Anthony Barr

S Landon Collins - stud. Will help the back end of the defense tremendously. 4 yrs $45M. After playing at an elite level for 2 years, Landon took a step back last season. He played well, but significantly below his previous 2 years. he ended the season on IR. Perhaps he was hampered by an injury the whole year. Will have to understand that before the trigger is pulled here. We will get him as a slight bargain because of the injury/performance issue.

Gone

Bulaga - time for the great white whale to move on. Unless he comes in completely healthy and in great shape, its almost a foregone conclusion that he is going to be out a significant amount of the season.

Once again I don't think Collins fits the Packers need for a free safety. I wouldn't be happy about the team signing Barr.

With the Packers needing to improve at right guard as well I wouldn't feel comfortable about releasing Bulaga.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit, I haven't really paid attention to Barr outside of when we play them recently. I've always liked the way he played for the most part though and the name recognition at least makes him intriguing to me

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've always liked the way he played for the most part though and the name recognition at least makes him intriguing to me

I wonder how many fans around the league are going to say the same thing about Clay Matthews and Cobb when their team signs them.

I often find myself in those same shoes when it comes to non Packer players. I read a name and think"that guy is good, he lit up the Packers" and then go look at his stats and see that the game he had against the Packers was a career game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The intrigue with Barr is schematic. He was an edge rusher in college and has the build/athleticism for it. He's been an off ball player in Minnesota. What would he do in Pettine's system?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how many fans around the league are going to say the same thing about Clay Matthews and Cobb when their team signs them.

I often find myself in those same shoes when it comes to non Packer players. I read a name and think"that guy is good, he lit up the Packers" and then go look at his stats and see that the game he had against the Packers was a career game.

I don't follow a lot of the NFL other than the Packers so I'm in the dark with a lot of these players. Obviously the top level players you hear about and the players from teams that we play more frequently but when you guys start throwing out names of mid level FAs a lot of times I have no idea why they are other than "Oh yeah, I heard that name before"

Matthews was a guy pretty much everyone was talking about for a few years there. Every pregame discussion about the packers centered on Rodgers on Offense and how to stop Matthews. I don't think that is the case with Barr.

Cobb is a WR and they get more highlight reel time so I am guessing more people will have heard of him.

Still they have been relatively quiet for a few years now so the attention has died down. I think what most people will think is "Bad idea. A few years ago maybe but they are done now"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The intrigue with Barr is schematic. He was an edge rusher in college and has the build/athleticism for it. He's been an off ball player in Minnesota. What would he do in Pettine's system?
It's kind of why I think he'd do well here. He's a good enough player and plays with intensity. He can do a number of things from the linebacker position, and that's part of what makes guys successful in Pettine's system.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's kind of why I think he'd do well here. He's a good enough player and plays with intensity. He can do a number of things from the linebacker position, and that's part of what makes guys successful in Pettine's system.

But I can understand why people consider it far fetched as Barr hasn't played this position in the NFL.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I can understand why people consider it far fetched as Barr hasn't played this position in the NFL.
Its common for a player to decline with a new team as a FA. It's usually a lack of motivation after big payday bit sometimes its a change of scheme. Sometimes a FA player does better for the new team which is usually because of scheme. Think this could be Barr.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Once again I don't think Collins fits the Packers need for a free safety. I wouldn't be happy about the team signing Barr.

With the Packers needing to improve at right guard as well I wouldn't feel comfortable about releasing Bulaga.

I've been on board with releasing Bulaga but i have been hearing talk about sliding him down to guard to extend his career. Not sure if that will work but I feel confident the Packers will shuffle and brings guys in for the OL to make it improved in 2019.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Its common for a player to decline with a new team as a FA. It's usually a lack of motivation after big payday bit sometimes its a change of scheme. Sometimes a FA player does better for the new team which is usually because of scheme. Think this could be Barr.

I agree with you, and I'm intrigued. I might have been the first person around here to float the idea (I'm not thumping my chest-- just trying to say that I get the idea).

However, you're talking about committing probably around 10M annually and around 20M in guarantees to a guy to play a position that he has no tape playing in this league.

Whether a team does it or not, that had darn well better give them pause.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been on board with releasing Bulaga but i have been hearing talk about sliding him down to guard to extend his career. Not sure if that will work but I feel confident the Packers will shuffle and brings guys in for the OL to make it improved in 2019.
Well, if he is a OT sitting out for an injury not much difference than sitting out as a G because he is injured.

I think this is the year that Spriggs surpasses him. I think it is time to move on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, if he is a OT sitting out for an injury not much difference than sitting out as a G because he is injured.

I think this is the year that Spriggs surpasses him. I think it is time to move on.

If Spriggs could step up this year that would be huge.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would have a really hard time getting behind an off-season plan that counted in Jason Spriggs being a starter. I realize he had a few better outings in 2018, but it wasn't anything to erase all the bad tape he's put out there. Wisdom dictates having a different plan A, and if he surprises you, then that's gravy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would have a really hard time getting behind an off-season plan that counted in Jason Spriggs being a starter. I realize he had a few better outings in 2018, but it wasn't anything to erase all the bad tape he's put out there. Wisdom dictates having a different plan A, and if he surprises you, then that's gravy.
Agreed and we have seen this type of plan bite the Packers too many times in the past. Counting on sub par players to step up and start. I would rather they just say "Hey, Spriggs is our backup and if he starts playing much better, our depth is improved." That should have been the plan over the years with Justin McCray, Brice, Josh Jones, Jake Ryan, Monty, Richard Rodgers, just to name a few guys who were assumed to be good enough to be labeled starters for an upcoming season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed and we have seen this type of plan bite the Packers too many times in the past. Counting on sub par players to step up and start. I would rather they just say "Hey, Spriggs is our backup and if he starts playing much better, our depth is improved." That should have been the plan over the years with Justin McCray, Brice, Josh Jones, Jake Ryan, Monty, Richard Rodgers, just to name a few guys who were assumed to be good enough to be labeled starters for an upcoming season.

This approach was the necessary result of almost completely neglecting free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Im not suggesting at all to count on Spriggs as a starter. If you took the time to read my offseaaon offensive game plan Spriggs was not a big part of it. He will be on roster and serves as a depth guy in 2019. If he surprises us great.

My offseason plan would be to bring on a free agent Guard and hopefully a tackle that gets released that has value with drafting a guard and Tackle in draft. Releasing Bulaga of course.

Reaction score
Im not suggesting at all to count on Spriggs as a starter. If you took the time to read my offseaaon offensive game plan Spriggs was not a big part of it. He will be on roster and serves as a depth guy in 2019. If he surprises us great.

My offseason plan would be to bring on a free agent Guard and hopefully a tackle that gets released that has value with drafting a guard and Tackle in draft. Releasing Bulaga of course.
This is why another avenue would be to get a top pick at OT (move on from Bulaga in 2020) now and then hit OG with a mid round pick or FA. Also move Spriggs inside where he belongs. He can be a backup OT if necessary.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a trade back in that scenario but I'm not mocking trades. I prefer to just mock picks in the existing slots.

Who do you think a team would be trading up for in that scenario?

This approach was the necessary result of almost completely neglecting free agency.
Yup, the residual evil of TT's stubbornness and staying too stringent on his Draft and Develop mind set. Thinking 2nd and 3rd year players are ready to step up when they aren't and thinking maybe you can get a guy or 2 in the draft that jumps right in there his first year and plays well as a starter.

I know you can't afford to fill every position of weakness with the best FA's, but I will take the mid tier FA's with starting experience VS relying on 2nd and 3rd stringers to fill those roles. Josh Jackson is a good example of this, he by no means is ready to start, so pencil him in right now as a backup.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yup, the necessary evil of TT's stubbornness and staying too stringent on his Draft and Develop mind set. Thinking 2nd and 3rd year players are ready to step up when they aren't and thinking maybe you can get a guy or 2 in the draft that jumps right in there his first year and plays well as a starter.

I know you can't afford to fill every position of weakness with the best FA's, but I will take the mid tier FA's with starting experience VS relying on 2nd and 3rd stringers to fill those roles. Josh Jackson is a good example of this, he by no means is ready to start, so pencil him in right now as a backup.

Josh Jackson was a reach to begin with. Had 1 year of tape at Iowa and all the sudden he is some star with a one handed interception against Ohio State in an upset.

If he is asked to play man to man outside he will never be ready because of athletic limitations. Best to move him over to safety now.

The Packers defense desperately needs Kevin King to stay healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Jackson was a reach to begin with. Had 1 year of tape at Iowa and all the sudden he is some star with a one handed interception against Ohio State in an upset.

If he is asked to play man to man outside he will never be ready because of athletic limitations. Best to move him over to safety now.

The Packers defense desperately needs Kevin King to stay healthy.
I gave you an agree, because frankly, its nice to agree with you on something for a change. ;) :laugh:

Not sure I would call Jackson a complete reach, but I too wasn't that sold on him, especially when people were mocking him going in the first round. I also agree with you that he appears to be a better candidate to play safety and take advantage of his supposed ball hawking skills, my fear there is he may be like HHCD and be a liability when it comes to tackling.

Oh and yes, we desperately need King to get and stay healthy, but I hope the Packers aren't relying on that to happen. Even if he does stay healthy, I'm not 100% sold that he has proven himself to be a solid CB in the NFL yet.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave you an agree, because frankly, its nice to agree with you on something for a change. ;) :laugh:

Not sure I would call Jackson a complete reach, but I too wasn't that sold on him, especially when people were mocking him going in the first round. I also agree with you that he appears to be a better candidate to play safety and take advantage of his supposed ball hawking skills, my fear there is he may be like HHCD and be a liability when it comes to tackling.

Oh and yes, we desperately need King to get and stay healthy, but I hope the Packers aren't relying on that to happen. Even if he does stay healthy, I'm not 100% sold that he has proven himself to be a solid CB in the NFL yet.
Josh Jackson is about as fast as Richard Sherman. There are other ways to play CB effectively while not being fast. In the preseason, JJ was shutting everyone down. He wasnt as effective during the season, but I saw enough to know he may develop into a very good CB.

He is very athletic, has great understanding of the game, great hands, and is instinctive. I'm optimistic he will come back next year and be improved. As was pointed out, he hasn't played the position long and is still learning.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling Jackson very athletic is an overstatement. He's just not.

Jackson could be a tremendous zone CB. I don't think he'd ever be a good safety...dude sucks at tackling.

I still think he'll be fine. Rookie CB's have it tough. If he can figure out how to stop grabbing at the top of routes and just trust his feet, he'll be fine. He's not good at man coverage. That's why PFF saying he was awesome in press last year was so laughable. He's really good in zone, and that's it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Jackson is about as fast as Richard Sherman. There are other ways to play CB effectively while not being fast. In the preseason, JJ was shutting everyone down. He wasnt as effective during the season, but I saw enough to know he may develop into a very good CB.

He is very athletic, has great understanding of the game, great hands, and is instinctive. I'm optimistic he will come back next year and be improved. As was pointed out, he hasn't played the position long and is still learning.

I like your optimism and it could go either way. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him spend some time in preseason at Safety and see how he fares. Also, I don't think speed is his biggest issue, I think he needs to learn how to cover receivers without clutching and grabbing or getting twisted off their routes.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling Jackson very athletic is an overstatement. He's just not.

Jackson could be a tremendous zone CB. I don't think he'd ever be a good safety...dude sucks at tackling.

I still think he'll be fine. Rookie CB's have it tough. If he can figure out how to stop grabbing at the top of routes and just trust his feet, he'll be fine. He's not good at man coverage. That's why PFF saying he was awesome in press last year was so laughable. He's really good in zone, and that's it.
I think he is very athletic. Hes not fast, but he has great body contol, strength, balance, quickness and change of direction skills. I would consider all of those traits as components of what is called 'athletic'.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your optimism and it could go either way. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him spend some time in preseason at Safety and see how he fares. Also, I don't think speed is his biggest issue, I think he needs to learn how to cover receivers without clutching and grabbing or getting twisted off their routes.
I tend to be too optimistic, I will admit. But we have to keep in mind that JJ has played only 2 seasons of CB. He has a lot of opportunity for improvement just through skill refinement and development.

I think, as fans and especially with CBs, we only focus on the bad plays and not the successful plays. A raw CB will be the primary focus of opposing game plans and as a result, will be challenged more frequently.