MM playcalling: plays from center and plays from shotgun.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took the play-by-play from the NFL network, and broke it down, including passing and running plays:

GB plays from the shotgun:
31 for 126 yards. 4.06 average. 1 fumble.
GB plays from center:
25 for 85 yards. 3.4 average. 2 ints.

And negative plays:
Negative plays from shotgun:
4 for 24 yards
Negative plays from center:
9 for 47 yards.

IMHO, this further proves that the playcalling was even more to blame. I understand having balance, but we just couldn't run.

We should've spread them out, and use quick passes to work our way downfield.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Where was everyone's hero Starks today?

We just literally screwed the pooch. I'm not ready to point fingers yet, as I need time to take it all in, but man.. What the hell happened?

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MIKE McCARTHY'S PLAY CALLING

After I wrote a 1500 word essay about MM for this thread. I decided to just delete it! Just like we need to do with MM!

He's able to run an Offense more than adequately.
But,.................

MM CANNOT PLAY CALL IN THE HEAT OF THE BATTLE !!!!! PERIOD!!

He never knows when to challenge a play..
He never knows when to call a timeout.
He never knows when to call a running play

Every team we play has some type of reverses or mis-direction running plays to help the running game...
What does MM do? NOTHING

If we have a comfortable lead? MM is above average Offensive Cord.

Too many times he has a brain-fart in the biggest play calls of the season!!! I'm not going into detail....it would take 1300 words
I cannot or will not defend our Head Coach for his MISTAKES.

This is a Pattern.
We need to cut ties with McCarthy and the OL zone blocking philosophy

Packers vs. Lions: How Mike McCarthy Potentially Ruined the Season for Green Bay | Bleacher Report

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. MM wants to be a power football team, but either doesn't have the personnel or the coaching to do it. I think it's the coaching of the o-line.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's put together one of the best offensive teams in the league, without a running game, so I don't question his own offensive abilities. His shortcomings have been in hiring assistants. It took him 3 years to find a good defensive coordinator. Special teams have been a problem since he was hired. He committed to the zone blocking scheme and had a coach experienced in its intricacies, but after Jagodzinski left there has been no one to take over. The ZBS has been very successful for many different teams, but it appears that the current coaches are unable to teach it to our players. I like MM's sense of loyalty to his assistants, but it will cost him his job if he doesn't do something about the coaching of the o-line.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
1. There's already a thread or two for this.

2. It was just last week, maybe the week before that everyone was saying MM should be coach of the year for what he's done with all of our backups. My, that's changed quickly. Everyones living by the week to week, I see no reason to fire him, but give the offensive play calling duties to someone else.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably should have thrown the red flag on that Jennings TD no catch call. Jennings was screaming at him to throw it. If he's that sure he made the catch... you gotta trust your player

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably should have thrown the red flag on that Jennings TD no catch call. Jennings was screaming at him to throw it. If he's that sure he made the catch... you gotta trust your player
He probably caught it, but you couldn't see anything from the replay. It is doubtful they would have overturned it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cant really hammer him for challenging plays. Its the coaches upstairs that tell him yes or no. Unless its right in front of him or he can see it on the video board you cant really blame him for that.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I took the play-by-play from the NFL network, and broke it down, including passing and running plays:

GB plays from the shotgun:
31 for 126 yards. 4.06 average. 1 fumble.
GB plays from center:
25 for 85 yards. 3.4 average. 2 ints.

And negative plays:
Negative plays from shotgun:
4 for 24 yards
Negative plays from center:
9 for 47 yards.

IMHO, this further proves that the playcalling was even more to blame. I understand having balance, but we just couldn't run.

We should've spread them out, and use quick passes to work our way downfield.

Thanks for that data crunch, RS. I was thinking of doing the same but probably wasn't going to get around to it.

Any chance of additionally breaking down the types of pass plays? That is, I would like to see an analysis of the "quick passes" vs. those that were not.

My feeling is that the quick passes were quite productive. They just did not happen very often.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I should add, because I hold myself accountable for these things, that I was calling for MM's head at the beginning of the season, but he proved me wrong with his coaching, not his playcalling. So again, as HC, I think he's doing a fine job, but that takes away from his ability to plan for games and call plays, if he ever has had that ability.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for that data crunch, RS. I was thinking of doing the same but probably wasn't going to get around to it.

Any chance of additionally breaking down the types of pass plays? That is, I would like to see an analysis of the "quick passes" vs. those that were not.

My feeling is that the quick passes were quite productive. They just did not happen very often.
I have the same feeling, that's kind of the point of it.

I don't have film to break down, all I can work with is the play-by-play of NFL.com.

They do list quick passes, but they don't list what patterns were ran, so I think it would be useless for me to do so based on that.

So... Sorry, can't do. If anyone is interested, I would love to see it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably caught it, but you couldn't see anything from the replay. It is doubtful they would have overturned it.

This^

And you can't trust the players to say they made the play. They *ALWAYS* say they made the play. I remember McCarthy challenging a play because James Jones said he made it. Turned out he didn't.

Members online

Latest posts