MM a Serious Class Act ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who have followed the thread regarding Jon Ryan's dad ( Bob Ryan ) being flown to Green bay to see his son play: There is a rumour floating around that MM might have had Jon and his father in mind when he called the fake field goal in the 1st quarter to give Jon a chance for a Touch Down.

You guys decide what you want, but if it was MM's intent to do something special for Jon and his family under these circumstances, way to go MM, my hat is off to you for that was a class act indeed.

Quote from MM press conference: "But I promise you this, if they would have went for the block, Jon Ryan might have been standing in the end zone. "

We might never know but that play sure makes a lot more sense now in my mind. Way to go MM :packbeer:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He knew the play wouldn't work. What better way to make a punter look like a fool in front of everyone than to tell him to run a fake FG, but fail to tell everyone else on the team.

MM is a clever one, and I give him kudos.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
He knew the play wouldn't work. What better way to make a punter look like a fool in front of everyone than to tell him to run a fake FG, but fail to tell everyone else on the team.

MM is a clever one, and I give him kudos.

Yared-Yam,

Praytell, What exactly are you saying?

I have read the post you typed above threetimes over now and I can not figure it out? Who knew the play would not work? MM? Ryan?

Help me out here...... What are you typing and who in the Packer Organization wanted any play for the Packers to fail?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Yared-Yam,

I have read the post you typed above threetimes over now and I can not figure it out? Who knew the play would not work? MM? Ryan?

Help me out here...... What are you typing and who in the Packer Organization wanted any play for the Packers to fail?

We all know MM feasts on the shame of others. What better way to dine than to have your holder screw up the "fake" FG in front of his family.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who have followed the thread regarding Jon Ryan's dad ( Bob Ryan ) being flown to Green bay to see his son play: There is a rumour floating around that MM might have had Jon and his father in mind when he called the fake field goal in the 1st quarter to give Jon a chance for a Touch Down.

You guys decide what you want, but if it was MM's intent to do something special for Jon and his family under these circumstances, way to go MM, my hat is off to you for that was a class act indeed.

Quote from MM press conference: "But I promise you this, if they would have went for the block, Jon Ryan might have been standing in the end zone. "

We might never know but that play sure makes a lot more sense now in my mind. Way to go MM :packbeer:

very cool - thanks for posting this winni. :thumbsup:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Raider Pride said:
Yared-Yam,

We all know MM feasts on the shame of others. What better way to dine than to have your holder screw up the "fake" FG in front of his family.

I might not be the biggest TT fan in the fan base here, but that post there is Yared-Yam is sad... What has MM ever done to make anyone but himself look shameful?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not following the Yared Yam thing at all. Hopefully he is being facetious!

As far as MM calling that play because Ryan's dad was in the stands.....no way. That's gotta be a rumor started by some Packer fan on the internet. No NFL headcoach worth a damn would do that. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if PFT.com picked up on it and made it Gospel!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
correct me if I am wrong...

I did not see the game live just some replays and highlights, but this fake fg if one guy was blocked he would have made the 1st down, correct?

There was no score yet either ( looking up play by play on nfl.com) that was very risky IMO...

One may never know...

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are correct Lt. They had been using the play in practice and it had worked extremely well.

I read an article that Rayner blew it. he was supposed to look at the defense and if they had a certian defense he was supposed to cancel the fake. Well, He was not in the huddle when the play was called (he was setting the spot to hit from) and he never even knew that there was a fake on.

I can tell everyone from personal experience, the Packer organization is just what you would hope it to be.....pure class, top to bottom!

Yared, that was (IMHO) one of the most off the wall comments I have seen on this board! :wtf:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster...you are correct. In all accounts. Rayner was standing on the sideline until the last minute. When he ran onto the field the coaching staff saw the defense and told him to "call it off". Not knowing that it "was even on" he didn't tell anybody. It happens.

Whether it would have worked or not? Who knows? It looked like it never had a chance when I saw it. And the fact that the coach tried to tell him to call it off based on the defense tells me that it wouldn't. I think what MM meant after the game was that if they had it on and the defense had the block on, Ryan would have scored.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked to me like Ryan wanted to pass the ball, not run it. So I don't understand McCarthy's comment about Ryan standing in the end zone. It was a weird call under the circumstances, even if the coaching staff did back out of it at the last second. I wouldn't think McCarthy would call a fake field goal in a meaningful game just for sentimental reasons, but who knows, that could've given him a little extra motivation. Something like that could really give the team an emotional charge.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM did do this for Ryan and his dad it was the most classless thing he could do to the rest of the team. I mean if Ryans dad has any sense he could ( and probably does) appreciate the things that Ryan does on a regular basis. He didnt need to be impressed by some trick play im sure. Now im not saying that this is a fact. I dont believe that MM would do that. But IF he did he is one of the biggest idiots in the world.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he be an idiot. It was very early in the game. Worst case is a possible turnover best case is he makes it. That being said it got stopped. No worse than a missed field goal. So if the FG try missed would you all still be *****ing?

Yeah you probaly would. And ago how is it classless to make it a special day for a dying man and his son. I am sure the rest of the team would be cool with it.

If Bretts Dad was still around but dying of cancer and MM asked Brett to go out and try a field goal how would you feel about that.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM did do this for Ryan and his dad it was the most classless thing he could do to the rest of the team. I mean if Ryans dad has any sense he could ( and probably does) appreciate the things that Ryan does on a regular basis. He didnt need to be impressed by some trick play im sure. Now im not saying that this is a fact. I dont believe that MM would do that. But IF he did he is one of the biggest idiots in the world.

agopack4

This was a play they had already been using at practice during the week so it was a play that had already worked well and was, already on MM's mind.

I do not see how this could be seen as "classless" but to each his own !!!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if the coach sent rayner in with instructions to call it off, and he didn't...is this another of our "failures to communicate"?

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You people insulting Mike McCarthy like this make me sick to my stomach, even if he was trying to do a nice little play so Ryan could make a play infront of his dieing father then that is one of the greatest things I have heard of being done by a coach, it just makes me feel spectial to be part of the Packers when I hear of something like that.

You guys that say it was a stupid thing to do are heartless idiots, whether it succeded or not doesn't make that much of a diffrence, it was a pretty long FG and if he had of missed it would have been the same postion for the other team anyway, just imagine if it had worked how great that would have felt for Jon, his father and the entire orginzation, including the fans.

I'm going to stop now before I say something that will get me banned but you see what I'm saying, Kudos to MM and Good luck to the Ryans, I wish you all the best :)

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody has a active imagination concerning why a fake field goal was attempted.. This is the first time I have heard about this theory. But it is just another one of silly things posted on Packer forums.

YY in Fondy. Your comment about Mike McCarthy is "off the wall"!!!! I live in Green Bay and I follow everything that has to do with the Packers. I have seen nothing that McCarthy has done which would lead anybody to come to your weird conclusion concerning the Green Bay Packer head Coach.

The Fake field goal is practiced quite a lot at Packer Training camp this last summer. It was simply botched as described by some of the posters on this topic If it had worked, and the Packers would had gone onto scoring a TD , he would have been praised.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YY in Fondy. Your comment about Mike McCarthy is "off the wall"!!!! I live in Green Bay and I follow everything that has to do with the Packers. I have seen nothing that McCarthy has done which would lead anybody to come to your weird conclusion concerning the Green Bay Packer head Coach.

So "off the wall" that it must be true right?.. Right??....

RIGHT?!?

Members online

Latest posts