Mike Pettine's Defence

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the coach actually thinks that playing off is the correct decision where he is concerned. I know a lot of us disagree with that assessment, but I also know that we don’t see everything they do.
I'm sure you're right, but I was actually talking about the tackling technique, not the coverage. I should have been more clear.

"Held accountable"? Do you mean benched or made to do pushups, run laps etc.? I don't think the Packers are deep enough at CB to afford benching him. I guess his new contract with a team will be how he is held accountable?
I don't mean punished. But I mean every week it happened he would be hearing about it. If he ignored it and continued to tackle poorly, it's on him. But he would hear about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MLF directly adressed the soft coverage on short yardage situations that everyone is so frustrated with. he doesn't like it either. the D is much better as a whole though. I think he's probably back next year.
Yup he said all that in pc

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last 9 games, since the Vikings loss the defense has only had one bad game - the Colts. They have weathered the third quarter offensive draughts pretty well. The gave up more than 20 just 2 other times. They gave up 25 to the Bears when the Bears scored two 4th quarter tds in a game that was 41-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Defense played well that night. The other was 24 points to the Lions in a game where the offense did its hibernation thing but the defense played tough in the second half allowing 7 points until a late fg. They averaged giving up 20 ppg over the last 9. I would assume that would be enough to win most games since we scored under 22 just once all season.

Dont get me wrong I see the liabilities of this defense. Our interior dline outside of Clark isnt not good. Lancaster and Lowry struggle. Our ilb are improving but still have issues. Pettine allows teams to throw easy pass with soft coverage too often.

I also see the positives. The secondary is very good. King is a whipping boy here but he is pretty solid in coverage. Jaire is insane and our safeties are really good. The OLB position has been solidified with the play of Gary and Preston waking up. This isnt an elite defense but it is one that can be good enough to win a Super Bowl.
Krys Barnes as qb of Def..

That equals turn around

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a good ILB, this might be a top 10 D.

Tactically we still need to be a bit more flexible.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if things play out well after this, I think it's a feather in Pettine's cap -- maybe not enough to keep him, but it's a strength when leadership, whether a coach or a boss, has the guts to listen authentically to those they direct and respond to them productively. It's certainly a tricky line to walk -- but a functional organization makes room for real two-way communication. Can you imagine this kind of a conversation and outcome at, say the (current) Jets?

So, we're now six games past this meeting that players called w Pettine, including a playoff game. In those games the Pack D is averaging 17.3 points given up, and has only let an opponent hit 20 points once.

I think this stands as a huge testament to how successfully the organization is being led right now. We can't know the ins and outs of the coach-player relationships, but to me it's clear that Pettine and LaFleur are running a team where coaches and players are functioning in balance, which has led to big successes, which then can increase buy-in.

IMO, that's a feather in Pettine's cap as a coach.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you comment on how Snacks Harrison fits into all this, especially how he may be helpful against Tampa Bay? Is it odd that he has not played much?

D

Deleted member 6794

Can you comment on how Snacks Harrison fits into all this, especially how he may be helpful against Tampa Bay? Is it odd that he has not played much?

It doesn't seem the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in Harrison making a difference, otherwise he would have played more than three snaps against the Rams.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The strategy for the Bucs will be the same formula they and SF used to run up big wins: Go after King, throw the ball all day to the TE and pound the ball on the ground. Gronkowski has lost a step so easy completions to the TE may not be so numerous. Brady is salivating at the match ups he has against King. He will need safety help. Last week the Rams ran the ball effectively. You can bet the Packers will see lots of Leonard Fournette.

That strategy is very effective with the lead or the game is close. The run defense hasn't improved so much as it has benefited from the offense getting out to quick leads, thereby making teams throw more. If the Packers can get out to another quick lead and the pass rush can pin their ears back, the defense will be ok. If not, Brady will have his way hitting receivers off of play action and pounding the ball keeping Rorgers off the field.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't seem the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in Harrison making a difference, otherwise he would have played more than three snaps against the Rams.
andy herman, after watching the tape, thought that was because LAR was running so much up tempo stuff. that the Packers thought the younger quicker guys would be better suited for it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He mostly is there for insurance and give a rest if needed..he isnt there to get 40 percent of the snaps.

Expect under 10 per game unless there is an injury

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but it looks like Snacks cost the Packers $61,764.

12 snaps all on defense VS the Bears

5 snaps (2 on Special teams) VS the Rams

I think they are saving up their Snacks to feast on Brady :)

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to be fair, if Redmond catches that interception...the half is over

Still, I would have done 3 deep obviously...no way you give something up deep...that's just stupid

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trying not to let emotion inform me right now, but I'm pretty annoyed.

I think Pettine has generally not gotten much credit for what he's done well, and has received maybe some unfair criticism at times.

That said, the defensive playcall before the half was absolutely inexcusable. I honestly think, given that Pettine hasn't been a huge value add to the team anyways, that one play is basically grounds for dismissal.

You cannot mess up that bad in that spot on this stage. King sucks, but Cover 1 on a hail mary cannot be spun... not even by me, and I've spun a lot for Pettine.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it was that PI flag on key 3rd down. Had not been for it, we'd have the ball with a minute to spare.

Letting in that TD before HT was ridiculously bad too.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying not to let emotion inform me right now, but I'm pretty annoyed.

I think Pettine has generally not gotten much credit for what he's done well, and has received maybe some unfair criticism at times.

That said, the defensive playcall before the half was absolutely inexcusable. I honestly think, given that Pettine hasn't been a huge value add to the team anyways, that one play is basically grounds for dismissal.

You cannot mess up that bad in that spot on this stage. King sucks, but Cover 1 on a hail mary cannot be spun... not even by me, and I've spun a lot for Pettine.

Yeah, King deserves blame for blowing that play, but my reaction as soon as Miller caught the ball was "why isn't there safety help over the top?" Terrible call.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me it was that PI flag on key 3rd down. Had not been for it, we'd have the ball with a minute to spare.

Letting in that TD before HT was ridiculously bad too.

Yeah, you could say that either of those plays swung the game.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the refs were the biggest factor. Every team is going to make their own mistakes and successes. They don't deserve to have them added to by the officials.

But if we want to improve, I think they need to replace Pettine.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, King deserves blame for blowing that play, but my reaction as soon as Miller caught the ball was "why isn't there safety help over the top?" Terrible call.

Horrible all the way around. King is lousy. Pettine's call put him in a horrible situation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would like to see LaFleur get his own D coordinator. Don't know why he keeps trying to get the 2 pt play. It doesn't look like they ever practice it. And the first one was way too early.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all crap that Pettine gets, the play that lost the game was going for FG on 4th. If we have to portion blame, I'd give the bigger slice to MLF and O.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a dumb decision there

But Pettine deserves the Lion's share of the blame for getting us in a stinking hole to begin with.

If I'm LaFleur, I'm handing him his walking papers after today.

Members online

Latest posts