Mike Daniels signs 4-year, $42M extension contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let me know when we start talking about Non Packer Free agents that TT doesn't sign..... :coffee:

LT, TE and ILB are positions that TT most likely won't look at in FA.....again.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take it. Ted knows what he has to spend. Gb has cap room and peppers only has 1 more year on his deal. I hope we offer raji a respectable offer too. Need the veteran beef.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to be honest, I'm fine if the Packers lose all of the guys listed above. Crosby is a very good kicker, but he becomes replaceable if he wants to be in that $4M/year range. I'd rather the Packers sign Terrance Knighten to play the nose. Neal and Perry are good rotation guys.... Starks has his moments... Don't underestimate the value of a good long snapper.

In his career, Mason is 26th, 24th, 22nd, 24th, 10th, 31st, 13th, 23rd, and 13th in FG percentage. He's totally replaceable.

It's not that he's BAD, it's just that modern kickers have become so good that even the average ones have become close to automatic. Unless you can get a guy like Steven Gostowski, you may as well just stick with late round kickers on their rookie deals.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good signing. I like how Ted keeps his own rather than chase someone another team is willing to let walk.

Daniels plays hard, with focus and passion. Great attitude and work ethic. Brings the nasty this defense needs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his career, Mason is 26th, 24th, 22nd, 24th, 10th, 31st, 13th, 23rd, and 13th in FG percentage. He's totally replaceable.

It's not that he's BAD, it's just that modern kickers have become so good that even the average ones have become close to automatic. Unless you can get a guy like Steven Gostowski, you may as well just stick with late round kickers on their rookie deals.

I agree with you. No point of dedicating that much cap to a kicker.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Starks goes, let him walk. That Crockett kid had 22 yards on 5 carries in one game so it's obvious he can do everything Starks can do and probably a whole lot more. Heck we should also trade Lacy and go with the real cheap RB since they are a dime a dozen and not that important.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Starks goes, let him walk. That Crockett kid had 22 yards on 5 carries in one game so it's obvious he can do everything Starks can do and probably a whole lot more. Heck we should also trade Lacy and go with the real cheap RB since they are a dime a dozen and not that important.

You're kidding, right?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me know when we start talking about Non Packer Free agents that TT doesn't sign..... :coffee:

Unless your looking at spending HUGE FA is not the place to grab a LT so yeah that's the draft.

Haven't checked who's hitting the market for TEs and ILBs either but those would be generally spots I'd prefer to address cheap in the draft anyway so yeah I probably wouldn't sign anyone either unless we're looking at a bargain deal

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon, it's locking up a player who would have been a UFA at the end of this season. It's no different then signing him to a contract the day before the UFA signing period begins. Signing UFAs from your own roster isn't infusing new talent into the team, but it is retaining talent.

Maybe a little, but your point certainly holds. Mine is that nowhere in that scenario is he a free agent. Someone wants to credit TT with a good move, fine. Somebody want to credit him with a free agent signing, nope.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're probably correct on LT, as anybody worth signing will probably cost a metric **** ton in FA and will be cost prohibitive.

Maybe a little, but your point certainly holds. Mine is that nowhere in that scenario is he a free agent. Someone wants to credit TT with a good move, fine. Somebody want to credit him with a free agent signing, nope.
Technically, everyone is right, he did not sign a FA, but the real matter is everyone thinks Ted is too cheap to sign FA's and he's not cheap. He's very controlled and disciplined in how he spends the money whether it's on a FA or extending a guy still under contract. I personally don't care what the person getting the contract is labled, FA or otherwise as long as he's worth it. Every year we hear the chants, "Ted is too cheap to sign player X" "Ted open up your purse and get player Y" and on and on.

I don't think there is much doubt that Daniels is worth it. He may get injured, just like Jordy did, but you can't control for that. He's a high motor guy, that has an immense amount of self motivation. The guy is just driven from within, you could probably put him in the middle of siberia on a frozen plain somewhere against a guy named Boris with no cameras, no money on the line, no media and he'd work till he kicked his *** right off the field just because it's all he wants to do. Couple that with his youth, and continued improvements, signing him was a no brainer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So maybe I was a wrong on TT and his unwillingness to hit the FA market, at least early in his tenor. But I still firmly believe there are 3 positions in need come 2016; LT, TE and ILB. Getting a starter for all 3 out of the draft or the current roster (maybe Barrington/Ryan) is a tall order for TT to fill without dipping into the FA market.

Here's a list of the unrestricted free agents from other teams signed by Thompson since he took over the Packers' personnel department in 2005. They are ordered by the number of regular-season games each player appeared in for the Packers (with the year they signed in parenthesis):

• Ryan Pickett, DT (2006): 110 games

• Charles Woodson, CB/S (2006): 100 games

• Brandon Chillar, LB (2008): 34 games

• Marquand Manuel, S (2006): 16 games

• Adrian Klemm, G (2005): 16 games

• Frank Walker, CB (2007): 12 games

• Ben Taylor, LB (2006): 10 games

• Jeff Saturday, C (2012): 14 games
Peppers and Guion are not on the list since both were classified as street free agents

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With regard to talent acquisition IMO the technical differences between “unrestricted free agent” and “street free agent” don’t really matter. For example, it made no difference whether or not Peppers was one or the other: He was free to sign with any team and he was player added to the Packers roster as opposed to one retained by the team. Also, what difference does it make with regard to talent acquisition whether Daniels was signed this week, the day before the UFA period begins or the day after? The Packers had to decide whether or not they were serious about retaining him and at what price; and Daniels had to decide whether or not he wanted to remain in Green Bay and what his value was. In fact, Thompson and staff should get credit for signing him (and others) before they reach UFA status because doing so avoids a bidding war.

The argument about whether or not Thompson should acquire more outside talent vs. retaining talent is certainly legitimate. But IMO categorizing Peppers’ acquisition differently than Woodson’s isn’t. And neither is differentiating the timing of Daniels’ signing.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So maybe I was a wrong on TT and his unwillingness to hit the FA market, at least early in his tenor. But I still firmly believe there are 3 positions in need come 2016; LT, TE and ILB. Getting a starter for all 3 out of the draft or the current roster (maybe Barrington/Ryan) is a tall order for TT to fill without dipping into the FA market.

Here's a list of the unrestricted free agents from other teams signed by Thompson since he took over the Packers' personnel department in 2005. They are ordered by the number of regular-season games each player appeared in for the Packers (with the year they signed in parenthesis):

• Ryan Pickett, DT (2006): 110 games

• Charles Woodson, CB/S (2006): 100 games

• Brandon Chillar, LB (2008): 34 games

• Marquand Manuel, S (2006): 16 games

• Adrian Klemm, G (2005): 16 games

• Frank Walker, CB (2007): 12 games

• Ben Taylor, LB (2006): 10 games

• Jeff Saturday, C (2012): 14 games
Peppers and Guion are not on the list since both were classified as street free agents

Ahhh, the Ben Taylor era....those were golden years. :p

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The argument about whether or not Thompson should acquire more outside talent vs. retaining talent is certainly legitimate. But IMO categorizing Peppers’ acquisition differently than Woodson’s isn’t. And neither is differentiating the timing of Daniels’ signing.

I agree with you TJV, Guion and Woodson were technically street FA's, different from UFA, but pretty much in name only. You are also correct, IMO in regards to Packer UFA and signing them. When their contract is up, the Packers have no more rights to them then another team. What they do have is a lot more inside information on said player, then most teams have. For the most part, I think TT has been rock solid on his resigning of his own and letting the others go that were over valued by other teams. Daniels was a good example how he works, it appears he was happy in GB and wanted to stay a Packer, TT was smart enough to jump on this and sign him to a fair contract and not even risk another cap happy team from getting him.

I know we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes in regards to Ted and non Packer UFA's but I would love to be able to sit down with Ted for an afternoon and just hear his whole philosophy on Free Agency.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are the details of Daniels’ contract according to the Press Gazette. One thing to note is they were able to spread the signing bonus over 5 years by using the last year of his rookie contract.
Cash value: $13,547,850
Salary-cap charge: $4,022,996
Signing bonus: $12 million
Base salary: $1.542 million
Workout bonus: $5,850

Cash value: $5 million
Salary-cap charge: $7.4 million
Base salary: $800,000
Roster bonus: $3.3 million (due the third day of league year)
Roster bonus (per game): $500,000
Workout bonus: $400,000

Cash value: $8 million
Salary-cap charge: $10.4 million
Base salary: $2.1 million
Roster bonus: $5 million (due the third day of the league year)

Cash value: $7.5 million
Salary-cap charge: $9.9 million
Base salary: $6.6 million
Workout bous: $400,000

Cash value: $8.5 million
Salary-cap charge: $10.9 million
Base salary: $7.6 million
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...kthrough-breakdown-daniels-contract/77413162/

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is with the rate salaries are rising and the rate the salary cap keeps rising, this will look like a bargain by the 3rd year or so.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Another team friendly deal. Well done Ted Thompson. Keeping that sizeable cap cushion allows him to get these extensions to the few guys that warrant them.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you look at his career numbers, they aren't amazing, but he's been much better the last few years. He's also been automatic on extra points (which of course matter now) unlike other kickers. I think it's good to have stability at that position so I'd be inclined to keep him, unless we can find a surefire replacement, e.g. Gostkowski, Bailey, Tucker.

Sky King

Reaction score
If you look at his career numbers, they aren't amazing, but he's been much better the last few years. He's also been automatic on extra points (which of course matter now) unlike other kickers. I think it's good to have stability at that position so I'd be inclined to keep him, unless we can find a surefire replacement, e.g. Gostkowski, Bailey, Tucker.
Excellent point regarding his getting better as he matures. He's had a few predecessors that make the who's-who list of kickers that were still effective at a ripe old age and some even got better. Jan Stenerud, Ryan Longwell, Gary Anderson, Morten Anderson, Adam Vinatieri, Jason Elam, and several others. In fact, Morton Anderson's best FG percentage (89.3) came in his final year, and he played football for 24 years.

Consistency versus cap, I suppose. But kickers don't make superstar pay, anyway. So the Packers will have that in their favor as they ponder the value of their current kicker sometime in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts