Mike Daniels signs 4-year, $42M extension contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, He's earning it. Now they can focus on other things A bit more than I thought he'd get though. But what do I know

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Mike. I am surprised, however, that TT would spend that much.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Mike. I am surprised, however, that TT would spend that much.
It wasn't a lot more than I thought, about 2 mil, I thought 10 per was going to be it. But I wouldn't say Ted is cheap, just selective and he pays his own players, he doesn't readily give out money to strangers is about how I view him. But he's offered some pretty good contracts to mostly deserving players over the years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quick, call up the Jones and Hawk contracts. :) And, don't bother parsing this or the above posts to make your arguement - I just through this in for comic relief.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much where Daniels' contract belongs. Per year, he's making about $43,000 more than Cameron Heyward on the Steerlers and $500,000 less than Calais Campbell. Just glad the Packers didn't have to match the Campbell contract like the Saints did with Cameron Jordan.

And I really hope that the Packers don't offer Raji more than $1-2 million to come back...Raji has had a decent year this year (very good to start but has slowed since) but certainly nothing that shows he's an integral part of the defense going forward.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels was the must get. I figured 10 million a year so nothing out of the ordinary.

Remaining free agents that I can think of.
Raji - I really hope he is back
Guion - fine letting him walk
Neal and Perry - would like at least one back
Heyward - I think Rollins and Randall have made him expendable
Crosby - Must sign
Starks - Really want him back

None of these guys should really break the bank. Raji might cost more than I expect

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels was the must get. I figured 10 million a year so nothing out of the ordinary.

Remaining free agents that I can think of.
Raji - I really hope he is back
Guion - fine letting him walk
Neal and Perry - would like at least one back
Heyward - I think Rollins and Randall have made him expendable
Crosby - Must sign
Starks - Really want him back

None of these guys should really break the bank. Raji might cost more than I expect

is that it for our Free agents this year isnt datone jones a FA?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was going to question the answer with they declined to pick up his extra year option for 1st round picks but its Rodell who answered me so it must be right lol which I am happy about

Actually Jones' 5th year option year would be 2017 and they don't decide on it until March. So they have him for 2 more seasons yet if they want.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Does this count towards TT signing free agents?
This counts as Thompson signing one of his own free agents. ;)

IMO Daniels was a critical re-sign. Packer Notes writes:
The Packers probably paid more than they wanted, but the price was only going to go up between now and March. Daniels would’ve been one of the most sought-after players in free agency.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/12/done-deal-for-daniels/

What this means to me is Thompson and staff can check off their most important re-signing for the coming off season. As Rodney at Packers Notes mentions, next in line are likely Crosby, Raji, Starks, Neal, Perry , and Goode.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This counts as Thompson signing one of his own free agents. ;)

IMO Daniels was a critical re-sign. Packer Notes writes: http://packersnotes.com/2015/12/done-deal-for-daniels/

What this means to me is Thompson and staff can check off their most important re-signing for the coming off season. As Rodney at Packers Notes mentions, next in line are likely Crosby, Raji, Starks, Neal, Perry , and Goode.

I like Crosby well enough, but if it takes the going rate of $4M or so a year, I hope they move on and draft a kicker late. Crosby is the very definition of an average kicker.

Starks is getting up there, but it'd be nice if they can bring him back cheap in a similar role.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mike Daniels A LOT. He's easily the best defensive lineman the Packers have had since Cullen Jenkins. With that being said, that is a ton of money for a 3-4 DE. Glad he'll be a Packer in his prime.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I got to be honest, I'm fine if the Packers lose all of the guys listed above. Crosby is a very good kicker, but he becomes replaceable if he wants to be in that $4M/year range. I'd rather the Packers sign Terrance Knighten to play the nose. Neal and Perry are good rotation guys.... Starks has his moments... Don't underestimate the value of a good long snapper.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course.

I thought so, but rhetoricalbut now the question is does it or doesn't it. Someone after posted that it counts as signing TT's own free agent, and I can't figure out how signing someone that isn't a free agent counts as signing a free agent.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought so, but rhetoricalbut now the question is does it or doesn't it. Someone after posted that it counts as signing TT's own free agent, and I can't figure out how signing someone that isn't a free agent counts as signing a free agent.
C'mon, it's locking up a player who would have been a UFA at the end of this season. It's no different then signing him to a contract the day before the UFA signing period begins. Signing UFAs from your own roster isn't infusing new talent into the team, but it is retaining talent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts