Middle of the D

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A QB in round one. Funny.
I think he meant to say cornerback.

On the other hand I'm not sure though as this poster is convinced every GM in the league selects his draft picks without factoring in needs at all.
I read it to mean that TT's draft board is darn near impossible to predict. Expect the unexpected.

D

Deleted member 6794

I read it to mean that TT's draft board is darn near impossible to predict. Expect the unexpected.

There's no way any of us have a clue about Thompson's draft board but I can guarantee that he won't pick a QB in the first round.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he meant to say cornerback.

On the other hand I'm not sure though as this poster is convinced every GM in the league selects his draft picks without factoring in needs at all.

I'm not saying need isn't a factor at all. If you thought that, you read way too far into my post. I was saying that there are more players at cornerback or receiver or defensive tackle with first round grades/high grades who will be available at #30 instead of inside linebackers.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN - Lacks ideal size and power... Can do a better job of taking on blocks with proper shoulder positioning and with more consistency to maintain gap integrity....

Pro Football Focus - Kendricks’ skillset is more heavily weighted toward coverage...wasn’t quite as good from an overall grading standpoint, finishing as the sixteenth-ranked linebacker with just a decent grade in run defense...somewhat high missed tackle total (17)... tackling could be a concern against NFL athletes...size also got him in occasional trouble taking on blocks, particularly against Oregon where he got plowed by the tight end a couple of times (3Q 8:03)

CBS - Relies on agility to avoid blockers, rarely taking them on and shedding. Scheme allowed him to run unimpeded to the ball

Out of all the pundits I'll trust PFF the most since NFL teams are actually paying them for their work. I've said it before, he'll be good in coverage. In a few years I'm sure he'll improve against the run. I've never said Kendricks won't be good. I've simply said that he's not in a different class than Dawson or Anthony or McKinney.

Another Packers linebacker who can't play the run! Where do I sign up?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, the whole SBNation mock draft is officially ridiculous. Can we please all agree that if Bud Dupree is available at #30 the Packers should take him since he'd be, by FAR, the best player on the board? Instead they have him being picked by the Pats at #32. I don't care if he's an OLB, he's one of the most versatile players and best pass rushers in this class.

Oh, and Acme Packing has the Packers taking Shaq Thompson at thirty...a guy that some teams want to play safety because he's so small.

H

HardRightEdge

Ok, the whole SBNation mock draft is officially ridiculous. Can we please all agree that if Bud Dupree is available at #30 the Packers should take him since he'd be, by FAR, the best player on the board? Instead they have him being picked by the Pats at #32. I don't care if he's an OLB, he's one of the most versatile players and best pass rushers in this class.

Oh, and Acme Packing has the Packers taking Shaq Thompson at thirty...a guy that some teams want to play safety because he's so small.
Dupree looks better rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt. He projects better as 4-3 DE. I'd fear he'd be a slightly more athletic version of Nick Perry stuck in the wrong scheme. I'd expect him to be off the board at #30 in any case.

Conversely, Eli Harold looks ordinary with his hand in the dirt but explosive standing up. He's got the lean, outside and inside moves, and a motor. He'd be a nice addition on passing downs in his rookie year assuming Matthews plays the middle again in nickel, with an expanded role in year 2 with Perry a free agent and the end point for Peppers (at least taking 75% of the snaps) being a critical unknown.

Thompson might be the best pure football player in this draft...but where do you put him? He's a quintessential tweener. There is another cautionary tale referencing Perry that applies to Thompson playing safety. Perry bulked up to 270 at the Combine...he might as well have tattooed 4-3 DE on his forehead. Ted Thompson ignored that fact and took him anyway. When Shaq Thompson was asked where he would prefer to play, his answer was a point blank "outside linebacker". I'm not spending a first round pick on a guy you have to persuade to change positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT has never drafted for need, he drafts best available player. It appears from everything being written that the best player available will not be an inside linebacker. My money would be on a CORNERback.

I'm not saying need isn't a factor at all. If you thought that, you read way too far into my post. I was saying that there are more players at cornerback or receiver or defensive tackle with first round grades/high grades who will be available at #30 instead of inside linebackers.

Hmmm?!?

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Packers linebacker who can't play the run! Where do I sign up?

Read below and tell me this is a guy that can't play the run?! How do you become the All-Time tackles leader in UCLA history, make 1st team All American and win the Butkus award without being able to play the run? Answer: You don't. As if that weren't enough to warrant a pick at 30 he also won the Lott IMPACT award which means he is a class act off the field as well. That's just gravy on this bacon burrito IMO! Enjoy...

Honors: Kendricks was named first-team All-American in 2014. He also won the Butkus Award, given to the nation’s top linebacker, and the Lott IMPACT Trophy, which is awarded to the nation’s top defender in both character and on-field performance.

Key stat: UCLA’s all-time tackles leader with 481 for his career. He led the nation in solo tackles in 2014 with 101, and he finished third in total tackles with 146. Kendricks finished with at least 10 tackles in 11 of the Bruins’ 13 games. Notable UCLA Backers that all turned into NFL Pro Bowlers that he has more tackles than include Ken Norton Jr., Donnie Edwards and Carnell Lake (played LB in college). Pretty decent list I'd say...

Scout’s Take: Stays square to the line and finds the ball. Will take on blockers and although not always successful, he will find ways to hold his ground. Size limits him here more than strength or willingness. I thought he played bigger than his size. Has a feel for how to get off blocks and avoid. Wrap-up tackler. Puts himself in the right position to make the tackle. Will extend his hands to control blocker than quickly shed. Plays with outstanding balance. When he sees the ball, he is gone. Is a sideline-to-sideline player in every sense of the word. Reacts to what he sees, doesn’t over commit. Can tackle in space. Outstanding technique. Will wrap up and get his man to the ground. Hard to block when on the move. Can work through gaps and creases. Can play the back man-to-man. Understands how to carry the back up the sideline on the wheel route. Aware on his zone to flat drops. Keeps his eyes open. Knows how to defend the screen and routes that go underneath. Is a hard player to fool scheme-wise. Size might not be ideal, but he is always around the ball. Has a knack for creating turnovers whether it’s jarring hits or putting himself in position for interceptions. Never stops in his pursuit of the ball. If you are looking for a play making Mike or Will linebacker in the draft, this is your guy.

This is yet another write up by a scout stating that the kid is a player and should be a 3 down backer. I am just not understanding why people feel he isn't going to be a player? To each their own...

G P G!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Read below and tell me this is a guy that can't play the run?! How do you become the All-Time tackles leader in UCLA history, make 1st team All American and win the Butkus award without being able to play the run? Answer: You don't. As if that weren't enough to warrant a pick at 30 he also won the Lott IMPACT award which means he is a class act off the field as well. That's just gravy on this bacon burrito IMO! Enjoy...

Honors: Kendricks was named first-team All-American in 2014. He also won the Butkus Award, given to the nation’s top linebacker, and the Lott IMPACT Trophy, which is awarded to the nation’s top defender in both character and on-field performance.

Key stat: UCLA’s all-time tackles leader with 481 for his career. He led the nation in solo tackles in 2014 with 101, and he finished third in total tackles with 146. Kendricks finished with at least 10 tackles in 11 of the Bruins’ 13 games. Notable UCLA Backers that all turned into NFL Pro Bowlers that he has more tackles than include Ken Norton Jr., Donnie Edwards and Carnell Lake (played LB in college). Pretty decent list I'd say...

Scout’s Take: Stays square to the line and finds the ball. Will take on blockers and although not always successful, he will find ways to hold his ground. Size limits him here more than strength or willingness. I thought he played bigger than his size. Has a feel for how to get off blocks and avoid. Wrap-up tackler. Puts himself in the right position to make the tackle. Will extend his hands to control blocker than quickly shed. Plays with outstanding balance. When he sees the ball, he is gone. Is a sideline-to-sideline player in every sense of the word. Reacts to what he sees, doesn’t over commit. Can tackle in space. Outstanding technique. Will wrap up and get his man to the ground. Hard to block when on the move. Can work through gaps and creases. Can play the back man-to-man. Understands how to carry the back up the sideline on the wheel route. Aware on his zone to flat drops. Keeps his eyes open. Knows how to defend the screen and routes that go underneath. Is a hard player to fool scheme-wise. Size might not be ideal, but he is always around the ball. Has a knack for creating turnovers whether it’s jarring hits or putting himself in position for interceptions. Never stops in his pursuit of the ball. If you are looking for a play making Mike or Will linebacker in the draft, this is your guy.

This is yet another write up by a scout stating that the kid is a player and should be a 3 down backer. I am just not understanding why people feel he isn't going to be a player? To each their own...

G P G!!

But, dude, he can't defend the run, I really don't know why you don't get it. :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most mock drafters seem to rely heavily on need rather than BPA.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

G P G!!

For every Bobby Wagner comparison and talk about Kendrick's tackling, there is an analysis like this on NFL.com:

Strengths
Confident with a downhill, attacking mindset. Good feet to slide, follow and burst to developing run plays. Can turn and chase sideline to sideline. Diagnoses quickly and attacks run fits while avoiding blockers. Is always around the play. One of the most productive tacklers in college football over the last three years. Outstanding at sinking hips and changing direction. Exhibits good play speed and is able to cover man-to-man in space. Good zone awareness and makes plays on the ball.

Weaknesses

Despite the high tackle numbers, doesn't meet ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage as much as he could. Could use more weight on his frame. Will drop his head at times when meeting ball carrier in the hole. Wasn't much of a factor as a blitzer.

Draft Projection

Round 2

Sources Tell Us

"His production and character makes it easy for a scout to bang the table for him. The only blow-back I anticipate in my room is regarding his size, but if you stick him at the WILL spot, I don't think it matters." -- NFC West regional scout

NFL Comparison

Wesley Woodyard

Bottom Line

Kendricks is an intelligent leader with high football character. Scouts don't see the same explosiveness in Eric as they see in his brother Mychal (Eagles LB), but they do see the same level of production and desire. Eric Kendricks plays with plus instincts against the run and pass. He has the athleticism and demeanor to be an impactful, productive outside linebacker in a 4-3 for years to come.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have enough time to do it but I would bet a fair amount of money that more scouts see him as a quality, 1st round, 3 down backer opposed to the above. With that said the majority of what you posted is pretty darn positive. The quote you put in bold from the NFC scout says it all in my mind. Stick him at WILL and the size doesn't matter. That is precisely the position he would be playing. Even in the Bottom Line part of your comment it says Eric Kendricks plays with plus instincts against the run and pass. Plus instincts in both run and pass, ridiculously consistent numbers throughout his years at UCLA, good athleticism and bloodlines, Butkus Award winner and by all accounts a hard worker with a good football mind. I guess I just can't understand why someone wouldn't look at this kid, the need we have and see it as a good fit? Out of the 10 or so sources I have both read and cited this is the first one that pegs him as strictly a 4-3 backer and I completely disagree with that. In regards to tackles for loss and blitzing do any of us truly know how much of that he was asked to do? The kid is smart and athletic so I think he would do just fine if asked to be more aggressive in regards to pressure packages but time will obviously tell on that one. As I always say, to each their own and that's what's great about this site. No personal attacks needed just opinion and lively banter. Bottom line is WIMM, myself and many a scout think this kid is going to be a heckuva player in the league and I sure as hell hope he ends up in G and G!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have enough time to do it but I would bet a fair amount of money that more scouts see him as a quality, 1st round, 3 down backer opposed to the above. With that said the majority of what you posted is pretty darn positive. The quote you put in bold from the NFC scout says it all in my mind. Stick him at WILL and the size doesn't matter. That is precisely the position he would be playing. Even in the Bottom Line part of your comment it says Eric Kendricks plays with plus instincts against the run and pass. Plus instincts in both run and pass, ridiculously consistent numbers throughout his years at UCLA, good athleticism and bloodlines, Butkus Award winner and by all accounts a hard worker with a good football mind. I guess I just can't understand why someone wouldn't look at this kid, the need we have and see it as a good fit? Out of the 10 or so sources I have both read and cited this is the first one that pegs him as strictly a 4-3 backer and I completely disagree with that. In regards to tackles for loss and blitzing do any of us truly know how much of that he was asked to do? The kid is smart and athletic so I think he would do just fine if asked to be more aggressive in regards to pressure packages but time will obviously tell on that one. As I always say, to each their own and that's what's great about this site. No personal attacks needed just opinion and lively banter. Bottom line is WIMM, myself and many a scout think this kid is going to be a heckuva player in the league and I sure as hell hope he ends up in G and G!

Being projected as a Will Linebacker in the 4-3 was the point of the BOLD.... Since the Packers play a 3-4

Also, this entire argument becomes moot if the Packers don't draft him in two weeks. On a side note, I'm perfectly fine with the Packers drafting him. I'd rather the Packers draft him or a corner instead of another defensive lineman who can't play in the 3-4. I just don't think he's the answer to the Packers playing better against the run. I don't see him as a Day 1 game changing linebacker. It won't take much to better than AJ Hawk or Brad Jones, but I don't know if he's the next great Packers ILB.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being projected as a Will Linebacker in the 4-3 was the point of the BOLD.... Since the Packers play a 3-4

Also, this entire argument becomes moot if the Packers don't draft him in two weeks. On a side note, I'm perfectly fine with the Packers drafting him. I'd rather the Packers draft him or a corner instead of another defensive lineman who can't play in the 3-4. I just don't think he's the answer to the Packers playing better against the run. I don't see him as a Day 1 game changing linebacker. It won't take much to better than AJ Hawk or Brad Jones, but I don't know if he's the next great Packers ILB.
I understand the point of BOLD my friend. I was making the point how your source was the first I have read ******* him as strictly a 4-3 backer. Naturally if he goes elsewhere this whole debate is pointless but where's the fun in that?! Again, we will just agree to disagree. I see a high-end, impact player and you see a warm body in the wrong scheme. No harm no foul.

H

HardRightEdge

For every Bobby Wagner comparison and talk about Kendrick's tackling, there is an analysis like this on NFL.com:

Strengths
Confident with a downhill, attacking mindset. Good feet to slide, follow and burst to developing run plays. Can turn and chase sideline to sideline. Diagnoses quickly and attacks run fits while avoiding blockers. Is always around the play. One of the most productive tacklers in college football over the last three years. Outstanding at sinking hips and changing direction. Exhibits good play speed and is able to cover man-to-man in space. Good zone awareness and makes plays on the ball.

Weaknesses

Despite the high tackle numbers, doesn't meet ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage as much as he could. Could use more weight on his frame. Will drop his head at times when meeting ball carrier in the hole. Wasn't much of a factor as a blitzer.

Draft Projection

Round 2

Sources Tell Us

"His production and character makes it easy for a scout to bang the table for him. The only blow-back I anticipate in my room is regarding his size, but if you stick him at the WILL spot, I don't think it matters." -- NFC West regional scout

NFL Comparison

Wesley Woodyard

Bottom Line

Kendricks is an intelligent leader with high football character. Scouts don't see the same explosiveness in Eric as they see in his brother Mychal (Eagles LB), but they do see the same level of production and desire. Eric Kendricks plays with plus instincts against the run and pass. He has the athleticism and demeanor to be an impactful, productive outside linebacker in a 4-3 for years to come.
You have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Meeting the runner behind the line of scrimmage is not the Will backer's job. The other candidates are questionable in coverage. Dawson in particular is terrible, grabbing or going hands-to-the-face as receivers run by him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Strengths

Weaknesses

Draft Projection

Round 2

Sources Tell Us

NFL Comparison

Wesley Woodyard

Bottom Line

This scouting report is from the same guy who thinks the Packers should select an offensive tackle in the first round. Zierlein somehow qualified for being a draft analyst on the league's website by hosting a sports talk show on the radio and being a blogger. I don't really care a lot about his opinion.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This scouting report is from the same guy who thinks the Packers should select an offensive tackle in the first round. Zierlein somehow qualified for being a draft analyst on the league's website by hosting a sports talk show on the radio and being a blogger. I don't really care a lot about his opinion.

I don't think who a person projects a team to pick in a mock does or does not qualify them as an analyst. Mel Kiper had the Packers taking TE Max Williams in his first mock draft.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Meeting the runner behind the line of scrimmage is not the Will backer's job. The other candidates are questionable in coverage. Dawson in particular is terrible, grabbing or going hands-to-the-face as receivers run by him.

$28M in cap space could buy a lot of champagne

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

G P G!!

I think he will be a player. I just don't think he's in a different class than some of the other highly ranked ILBs. If Thompson trades back and gets him, terrific. However, the only scouts I know of that are actually nfl employees, and not talking heads, question his skill at stopping the run. They think he's great in coverage though. People love to remember the long passes given up by hawk and co. but people tend to forget that Lynch averaged over five yards a carry in the championship game. Packers need to get better at stopping the run first. Teams won't need to pass if they can just run all day.

H

HardRightEdge

Worse, Zierlein projected that tackle as a road grading guard for the Packers, seemingly unaware of the quality of the players currently manning those positions, the fact that they're both signed through 2016, that there is significant investment in the position, or that the Packer line scheme does not call for road graders.

Perhaps his approach as a mocker is to ignore need and rank players by their talent. There's nothing wrong with ranking players by talent, but putting out a mock draft on that basis is simply lazy.

H

HardRightEdge

$28M in cap space could buy a lot of champagne
First of all, with the re-signings the cap space is down to about $12 mil.

In any case, the free agent ILB opportunities have long left the station, with the possible of exception of Spikes. Since he's still on the market, we can surmise he's a a two-down player looking for a three-down contract.

And perhaps the train never got on the track...I don't see a three-down ILB in this free agent class that would have been an improvement over Kendricks.

Latest posts